Title of the document

Bedroom Door

Coop

I sure need no frost until about Christmas in order to get the tomatoes safely into canning and on blt’s. Got the first coat of ARS on one side of the door today. Also got the holes drilled for the hardware. I made a jig for the mortise for the whatever you call it. Worked out great. Measured a dozen times and cut and routed once. 

A2D3AFC7-42A2-40C2-9638-B6EBC45D8CE6.thumb.jpeg.63c642544f86c40702f254a29d85d7ab.jpegF4B736D0-B26C-4C5A-AFB3-CE131389E5D1.thumb.jpeg.8f6ff6802d6584b2e7c650db67d03bcd.jpeg

• Like 6

Thanks Kev. I attribute a lot of this to the guy that milled the log for me. He had a 8’ long straight edge and applied it to every cut. If there was sunshine between it and the slab, he would change blades. Four blades for three logs. This stuff has been a pleasure to work with. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tmize said:

Wow that is amazing looking door. That needs to be a front door not just a master bathroom door. 

We chose to keep the the amazing stuff in the bedroom! At our age, you can imagine how much of that is true! ?

• Haha 1

My biggest concern on this venture was the twist in the door. That it would not shut firmly. With a YouTube video search, running diagonal strings from opposing corners of point of contact, will give the results. So far, mine is co-planer, if that’s the correct verbiage. In other words, looks pretty damn goo so far! 

• Like 3

This may  have to be a picture frame for a collage. My gc came out yesterday to meet with the concrete guy and me. The new slab will have 3 piers, 10’ x 1’, with one about 3’ from my gas meter. I asked both if they had gotten the utilities people to mark their lines and both of them had a “I thought you did that” look in their eyes”. Another friggin delay. 

13 minutes ago, Coop said:

This may  have to be a picture frame for a collage. My gc came out yesterday to meet with the concrete guy and me. The new slab will have 3 piers, 10’ x 1’, with one about 3’ from my gas meter. I asked both if they had gotten the utilities people to mark their lines and both of them had a “I thought you did that” look in their eyes”. Another friggin delay. 

Ummm, could we all contribute to the collage, Coop? 

I have a great crotch shot (shielded crotch shot - I'm not an animal! ? ) from my recent CTO PCI (aggressive angiogram type of technique/procedure).  It's got great rich colors - mostly red (or various shades of red - dried and not so dried ?).  Would that fit your intended design palette? *color wheel for all you whippersnappers!*

Good luck on the build - both the door and the construction of its intended installation location!

?.

RR

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Had to bore you guys one more time for a while. 2 coats of ARS and four coats of GF, HP satin. I picked up the glass yesterday and had to get a sneak view of how it will look. Next post will be in about 6 weeks, hopefully, when it is installed.

E1254A39-B1EB-44AC-8B05-B5C51AC76C5E.thumb.jpeg.97377d9c03e8e4ac51efb19e42177459.jpeg

• Like 6

Kev and others. The little mullions or muntins or whatever the glass retaining strips are called, are proud of the door by approx 1/8”, and that’s without the Lexel sealant. It looks good and feels good but should they be flush with the door? If so, it means cutting them down and putting a protective finish of sort on the bare wood. I doubt seriously that anyone going thru the door would notice or question right or wrong. 

1 minute ago, Coop said:

Kev and others. The little mullions or muntins or whatever the glass retaining strips are called, are proud of the door by approx 1/8”, and that’s without the Lexel sealant. It looks good and feels good but should they be flush with the door? If so, it means cutting them down and putting a protective finish of sort on the bare wood. I doubt seriously that anyone going thru the door would notice or question right or wrong. 

They "should" be flush but, I don't suspect you'll have to many fine woodworking inspectors looking at your bathroom door!

Chances are that the glass ended up a little thicker than expected?

If you're going to make a "fix", I would try to shave some off of the glass side of them.  If you're not going to make a "fix", I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kev said:

They "should" be flush but, I don't suspect you'll have to many fine woodworking inspectors looking at your bathroom door!

Chances are that the glass ended up a little thicker than expected?

If you're going to make a "fix", I would try to shave some off of the glass side of them.  If you're not going to make a "fix", I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

I am out of reactions for today so here’s a ?

That’s 20 pieces to take off a blades width but being a bit ocd, I feel the need?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tmize said:

From the pics alone I like the the look a little proud. Gives the door a shadow line. 

I like your way of thinking!

17 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Coop, to miss the thickness of the glass by an 1/8” seems like a sizable screw up by the glass company.  If the look of it being proud bothers you and your wife, I would contact them to fix. 

When I first inquired, I was told that it would be 1/8” glass so I mortised to accommodate. Later, when I ordered the glass, the owner said since it was in a door, it should be thicker. Honestly, I think it will be ok either way. Wife won’t know the difference? I’m leaning towards flush. 

• Like 1