Title of the document

Bedroom Door

Coop

Construction will break ground shortly at my house for an addition that will include a much needed larger master bathroom. As part of the construction will mean my wife and I moving to another bedroom, she has asked that I not build the vanities as she is afraid that I will hold up construction ( and that might be valid) . I have received permission though to build the door leading into the bathroom. I didn’t tell her I have never built a door before. Dimensions will be 1.5” x 36” x 80” and will be built out of some walnut slabs that I’ve had drying for about 5 years.  If all goes right, it will look something like this.

https://www.doors4home.com/p-3917-c4-1.aspx?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrcfXkoja6gIVSr3ACh18pgBMEAsYAiABEgIna_D_BwE#mz-expanded-view-295661456540

Due to the weight, I’m thinking of making the glass lites larger than shown above. I did a full size pattern as seen below. The glass lites are the blue taped in area. Shown are with 5” stiles, 8” bottom rail, 5” top rail and 3.5” center rails. Any criticism will be taken as constructive and welcomed.

82A91C41-FC50-4653-BBE5-0345980CF306.thumb.jpeg.3af51744cad54f43af46d79ebf6d5243.jpeg

• Like 3

It look proportional to me. Soild wood doors are heavy that all there is to that. If it is a bathroom door I would leave a bigger gap at the bottom along the sill. For two reason one expansion due to humidity from the shower. Also to help the the steam a place to escape to help the possibility of the mildew 

• Like 2

Thanks Bryan. That has been the consensus among my family members as well. Hopefully, when finished, it will look better than the ply pattern. I’ll post the progress, ever so slight as it may be. I’m kinda wanting to do the frame, jamb and trim in walnut as well but I’m not sure how much walnut I’m willing to sacrifice if this goes south. I guess I can still say that? 

• Like 1

I like the very first layout the best. Just looks the most natural proportions to me. I also don’t think you can go wrong with any of them.  I say use up the walnut! This is a project that you will be sitting an staring at 15 min a day for a long time to come. 

• Like 1

I’m thinking jointery. Loose tenons, as deep as my current bit will allow me to make the mortises. Cutting edge on the current router bit is 1 1/4”. I’ll test some scrap pieces tomorrow to see how deep I can make them. Someone suggested bridle joints which would be super strong but I’m not sure how I would cut the center out of the 80” long stiles? 

17 hours ago, Coop said:

She still likes the 5 panel best.

Then I think that is what you should do.?

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

It may just be me so no offense. Why not just do a traditional m&t joint instead of a loose tenon. Routing a mortise in end grain SUCKS at least it did when I tried it. It could have just been the bit I was using a sharp straight but. That would put the mortises in the long stiles an tenons on the shorter rails the TS or bandsaw could handle with ease.  I think the dowels will be a nice feature. 

On 7/24/2020 at 10:24 PM, Coop said:

I’m thinking jointery. Loose tenons, as deep as my current bit will allow me to make the mortises. Cutting edge on the current router bit is 1 1/4”. I’ll test some scrap pieces tomorrow to see how deep I can make them. Someone suggested bridle joints which would be super strong but I’m not sure how I would cut the center out of the 80” long stiles? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tmize said:

It may just be me so no offense. Why not just do a traditional m&t joint instead of a loose tenon. Routing a mortise in end grain SUCKS at least it did when I tried it. It could have just been the bit I was using a sharp straight but. That would put the mortises in the long stiles an tenons on the shorter rails the TS or bandsaw could handle with ease.  I think the dowels will be a nice feature. 

With the floating tenon and the router guide, once I set the guide up, I will reference the mortise off of the same side on each board and and all sides should line up pretty darn close. I practiced on some scrap yesterday with the only decent size straight cutting bit I have and both the end grain and long grain went well. I have ordered a 1/2” spiral up bit from Whiteside and expect it to go even better, fingers crossed! 

1 hour ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

What if you just did 1 large glass panel?

That was an option but my thinking was the more rails I have, the less chance of racking.

I just watched a you tube video where the guy uses PC-7 epoxy. It is very thick (less runs on the squeeze out) and also has the advantage of a long no working time. Has anyone ever used this? My plan is to use the West System 105 resin and 206 hardener that I have.

It will be approx 6-8 weeks before the contractor will need the door. Right now, the boards are in the shop/garage, stickered and are about 3/8” shy of the desired 1 1/2” thickness. Would it be better to:

1. Joint and plane them down to the 1 1/2” and build the door now and move it inside?

2. Move the boards inside and build the door closer to desired time?

3. Hell, there are so many options, I’m open to suggestions. 

Thanks

Again, this will be an interior dood. 

Edited by Coop