Title of the document

Bedroom Door

Coop

On 11/28/2020 at 11:07 PM, Jamie said:

That’s a bummer. I think what I’d do rather than shoot for flush is to shrink it more like 3/16 to leave a shadow line. That will also give you some play with your adhesive. 

Thanks Jamie but I need as much depth of the trim as possible so I don’t have permanent pucker from pin nailing.

14 hours ago, Bushwacked said:

what planer you using coop? how much of a cut are you taking?

I have the 735. Ironically, my brother thought he had a circuit breaker problem and ordered one and didn’t have to use it. After a two hour drive, back and home, got it installed and it works great. The circuit breaker is rated for 18 A, and I am pulling 14.1 at the most. Should be ok. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coop said:

So far, with the new circuit breaker, all is well. For some un explained reason, I have chosen a 1/4  round on the crank as my go to on the 735. Always have. We’re back to good! 

On my 735 a full crank was a 1/16. I guess in never ran into issues with the breaker popping while taking 1/16th, 20 amp. Granted I would only take that much on like a 4” wide piece. 

But maybe I shouldn’t chime in on this with the current condition of my 735. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was told that once a circuit breaker like this throws, that it weakens it and takes less to throw it each time. At $6 each plus shipping, I ordered two, one for my brother and me, as spares. It will probably sit in a drawer and never get used, hopefully! 

15 hours ago, Coop said:

It will probably sit in a drawer and never get used, hopefully! 

And in a couple of years you see it in the drawer and wonder what it belongs to.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

2 hours ago, Chet said:

And in a couple of years you see it in the drawer and wonder what it belongs to.  

Or better yet, a couple years from now when you need it, you don't remember where you put it...  Don't ask me how I know!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Coop said:

We got our coverup final today on the electrical and plumbing inspection is tomorrow. If all goes well, we will get sheet rock next week. Hopefully the door will make her appearance in less than a month. 

Awesome!

As our house was needing a new roof anyway, I had the contractor re-roof it while he was roofing the addition. They were roofing today when the inspector came out. He asked if we had a permit for the rest of the house as the building permit was only for the new addition. The roofers had to stop while their boss got a second permit. All about revenue! 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Coop said:

As our house was needing a new roof anyway, I had the contractor re-roof it while he was roofing the addition. They were roofing today when the inspector came out. He asked if we had a permit for the rest of the house as the building permit was only for the new addition. The roofers had to stop while their boss got a second permit. All about revenue! 

Absolutely pathetic!  Don't go above an beyond unless you pay the government for the privilege!  Welcome to the problem with this country!

• Like 3

Agreed 100% an I work for a contractor an I’ve been threatened 3-4 times that they would put me in jail for no permit. For work they felt was more than just a quick service call.
It’s a power trip for most of them hey look at what I can do. I know why we have to have inspections some people do dangerous an hideous work just to turn a quick buck. But the rest of us that do it right an respectful job still have to be harassed by the stuck up government officials that don’t have enough credentials to pick up trash for a living. Sorry it’s a touchy subject for me lately. 

• Like 3

I might have told this story before? Six weeks or so after we turn the plans in for a permit and after a call to my councilman, the permit dept. called and said that the permit was ready to be picked up. The contractor went to the fifth floor as instructed and the lady handed him the paperwork and told him to take it to the clerk on the first floor. He’s thinking that’s where he pays for the permit. He takes it to the first floor and hands the papers to the clerk and she tells him thank you. He asks where his permit is and she said one more person had to review the plans and she would call when approved. He asked her that he had to drive 30 miles just to take the plans down an elevator 4 floors and she said yes and turned and walked off. 6 weeks later and another call to the councilman and we finally got the permit. Tmize, you are right about the power trip, got you by the nads! 

And on the structural inspection, the inspector told us he was the electrical  inspector, filling in for his bud. He takes a couple of glances, says wow, and signs off on it. Can’t beat city hall! 

Our old neighbor needed to get a permit for an outdoor kitchen, when they submitted for the permit and a pre site inspection the town brought up a unpermitted sun room from the previous owners. Made out neighbor tear it down and rebuild. Some towns around here will allow you to file the permit and pay a small fine. If this happened to me a dump truck full of cow manure would be delivered and dumped at municipal building. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

There is a city light pole on the curb in front of our house and about ten years ago the bulb burnt out, I thought.  I contacted the city and a couple of days later a guy shows up with a cherry picker to change out the light.  It wasn't the light, it turns out our Power company had damaged an under ground line when they changed out a transformer right by the light pole.  And the whole "who is responsible" fight began.  After a couple of months I started emailing city people and each time I went up the chain of command I attached all of the email I had sent to the previous people along with their responses.

Finally, 12 months later an electrical sub contractor shows up to start the repair.  They are taking out the sidewalk and digging the hole and a young snot nosed city inspector shows up to do a final roof inspection on a new roof of the house next door.  He comes over and knocks on my door asking to see my permit for the work being done.  I told him they were fixing a city light pole that is sitting on city property and I wasn't the responsible party for the permit.  He goes over and talks to the contractor.  Next thing I know they're packing up to leave.  I go over and talk to them and they tell me the little kid shut them down.

Now I am just flat a$$ed pissed.  But after calming down some I decide to go nuclear and email the mayor's office including an attachment of ALL the other time stamped emails from the past.  I explained to him how unsafe it was to have a street totally dark because the city couldn't figure how to fix a light pole.  I also said that if this light pole had been in front of his house it probably wouldn't take 12 months to get it fixed.  I also told him that if something didn't happen soon I would be inclined to contact the news stations.

Next day, I mean the very next morning a crew of about ten people show up from all sorts of different city departments including the head electrical inspector from the city.  He told me as he was laughing and grinning that it turns out the mayor doesn't like people calling the news outlets with bad stories about city hall.  He also said I should remember that little trick if I needed something from the city in the furture... It's faster that way.

• Like 3

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

• 1 month later...

Well, with a lot of waiting on sub contractors and many sleepless night's anticipating hanging the door, it is in place. Tom, on WTO connected me to a link that he wrote a few years ago on building and installing a door jamb and it was invaluable. Unfortunately, I read his article AFTER cutting the jamb boards to width. I cut them 4 1/2” k not thinking about construction grade lumber and A-hole sheetrock guys. Now I have a 1/8” gap between the jamb and the casing. Aside from shaving down the sheetrock, I may have to caulk using some special order colored caulk and not sure from the colors on my screen, how close the color will match.  Anyone have any better ideas other than a magic wand? 

As I haven’t nailed the casing in place yet, I will get whoever shows up tomorrow to hold a piece in place so that I can get a pic. Basically there is a 1/8” gap between the door casing and the jamb itself. Had this been a painted operation, they would have filled this with caulk and painted over it but the whole door, jamb and casing are walnut. 

4 hours ago, Jamie said:

Extension jamb my friend.  Little filler piece that you could make into a bead detail possibly.

It would have to be something of what you are suggesting as the exposed side edges of the jamb have been softened so there is no longer a sharp edge to butt next to. 

10 hours ago, Larry Moore said:

I'd probably mill a filler strip to take up the gap, or make my own casing for inside of the room

I did make my own jamb and casing.

Pictured is a piece of the casing on the right, held in place with a clamp in order to take the pic. The space between the jamb and casing is about 1/8”.

B0D92FBD-A4E8-4C53-900F-76D521CD554A.thumb.jpeg.50c80d8056500f82fd72a5b802c6f357.jpegB8F79A5F-A586-43AC-9C75-8565BA1D10B4.thumb.jpeg.4f430e3c8d131be33c90dd1ae0bc2cd3.jpeg