Title of the document

Bedroom Door

Coop

Figure out how much trim is actually over the drywall.  Set your TS height to that number.  Rip that material off of the back sided.  You're done.  Custom fit trim.

You're essentially just creating a wider rabbet around the outside.

Yes, I've done this..

• Like 2

So make the rabbet on the backside of the casing pieces so that the part of the board that rest against the sheetrock is thinner than the part that touches the jamb edge? 

Ooops, didn’t mean to attach this pic again but can’t delete it. 

963962F8-6FDD-406C-82F0-D20BBFEEB5A6.jpeg

Edited by Coop

Larry and Jamie, I like your ideas as well. As the space between the casing and the jamb is uneven up and down the wall, a cover strip like pictured below, instead of a filler strip might look good. The pic shows a piece that I will be using to hold the glass panes in place.

AC11377C-B5B5-48DA-A0EA-E0D4031CB5A7.thumb.jpeg.4847a8efd536923034f98a6da7b29bf9.jpeg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Coop said:

As the space between the casing and the jamb is uneven up and down the wall, a cover strip like pictured below, instead of a filler strip might look good.

Kev's is the best idea but if the gap is uneven then I would do this.  Get the strip flush with the jamb and it will look like a nice cock bead detail.

• Like 3

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

Problem resolved. The contractor brought in a new trim guy today and he said to “just hit the sheetrock where it it extends out to far, I do it all the time to compress it”. I gave him the casing pieces and he had them up and flush in 30 minutes. I bet he can’t fill a fire extinguisher though! ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

That's great that you got it worked out.  It probably feels great to get it finished up.

On to the next project Mr. Retired. 

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

4 hours ago, Coop said:

Problem resolved. The contractor brought in a new trim guy today and he said to “just hit the sheetrock where it it extends out to far, I do it all the time to compress it”. I gave him the casing pieces and he had them up and flush in 30 minutes. I bet he can’t fill a fire extinguisher though! ?

Pictures or it didn't happen...  Just sayin....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Instead of proofs in the pudding pics, I will wait until I get the glass in to wrap this up. Our granddaughter is coming in from college tomorrow to have lunch with us so it will probably be a day two away, whatever that is. 

Chet, being retired, do you have trouble keeping up with what day it is or do you care! ?

1 hour ago, Coop said:

Chet, being retired, do you have trouble keeping up with what day it is or do you care!

Yes, to a degree.  Sunday always kind of resets me.  During the week it is the time of day that I loose track of more then the day of the week.  I used to wear a watch all the time but since I retired I only wear it when we are traveling.  

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Chet said:

Yes, to a degree.  Sunday always kind of resets me.  During the week it is the time of day that I loose track of more then the day of the week.  I used to wear a watch all the time but since I retired I only wear it when we are traveling.  

How do you count your steps ?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, pkinneb said:

How do you count your steps

My watch wouldn't help, its still is one with an analog face.  Its a nice watch but analog non the less.

But even with out the right type of watch the first ten steps are easy.  If I am bare foot I can count up to the first twenty steps before I need electronic assistance.

• Haha 4

The only time I wear a watch is when I'm working in refineries..  Most don't allow you to have your phone on you and the nature of my work requires me to know what time it is..  When I'm home in the shop, I never have a watch on and rarely carry my phone either.  For the most part, I don't care what time it is of what day of the week it is...lol

That looks absolutely superb my friend.  You need to give yourself a well deserved pat on the back.  That walnut just looks beautiful.

• Like 1

Thanks all for the compliments and guidance thru this project. I received some very good advice from y’all!

19 hours ago, Kev said:

As an old friend on the old forum used to say, "sign and date it!"

Not sure where I would sign and date it? Maybe at the top of the side of the lock stile? Might be a little pretentious to sign it on one of the glass panels!?