Title of the document

Bedroom Door

Coop

• 2 weeks later...

I’m going to glue this up tomorrow using epoxy and plan on assembling it on edge with the stile clamped between two of the wooden screw type clamps, with them clamped to mdf. Then once assembled, I’’ll lay it flat on the bar clamps. Plan is to use blue tape at all intersections for easier cleanup. Question is, as long as all surfaces of the tenons and mortises are well coated, shouldn’t minimum to no squeeze out of the epoxy be ok? 

5 minutes ago, Coop said:

Probably way over thinking this. 

Yea probably.? TB III is always a good choice with walnut because of its darker color, but with epoxy you are still okay in that regard because it is clear.  I would use whatever you want.

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

I would prefer the epoxy over the TBIII for a glue up like this!  I agree with packing tape instead of blue tape, it just works better.

For the squeeze out, you're in better shape using the epoxy.  If you miss a spot with glue, it sticks out like a sore thumb with finish, not so much with epoxy.  Just clean up the joints as best you can before it's cured.  Normal clean up stuff after it's cured.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coop said:

Chet & Kev, thank both of you for the packing tape idea.

I can't take credit for that one, It was Bryan and Kev.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

35 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Looking good Coop!  Good choice on routing out for the glass. 

Thanks. Decision to route the rabbets was actually twofold. One, the clean lines and two, I don’t think I have enough of this walnut left to make beaded trim for both sides. I have more 2” thick slabs but I’m tired of milling lumber. 

• Like 2

I definitely see where your thinking is but, I'm just not sure..  Butt joints, to me, would be more unsightly and I think more prone to gaps

My suggestion is to make a sample each way which might help you answer your questions.  The boss might have a preference as well

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Coop said:

a chandelier in the center of the BR

Are there going to be mirrors on the ceiling with the chandelier.

• Haha 2