Title of the document

Master BR Bed

Kev

14 minutes ago, Kev said:

Oh, did I mention this one is heavy!?  lol

At least it is heavy in four separate pieces.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

2 hours ago, Chet said:

At least it is heavy in four separate pieces.

It was all my wife and I could do to get the headboard onto the bench so I could start mortising the hardware!  Yea, it's heavy!

IMG_1235.thumb.jpeg.fc57e37cad2ff08c0f70b191506ac14e.jpeg

• Like 1

First "official" dry fit..  I still have lots of sanding and rounding the sharp corners to do.  I'm also losing the battle on the finials so, I might have some work to do there as well..

I'll take it apart tonight but, probably won't be working any details until tomorrow..  I think that's just about enough for one day 😉

IMG_1236.thumb.jpeg.e3d5f7f3f4bd9e6d37a4479e7ef1b52e.jpeg

• Like 1

Got a little more done tonight...lol. I glued the strips to the rails that will support the slats..  That way they'll be cured in the morning and maybe I can get to the ARS tomorrow afternoon..  Fortunately, I've been sanding some along the way so, I just have to get through the details..

I haven't bought the slat material yet but, it's looking like Alder will be the choice at $2.00 per BF..

8 minutes ago, Coop said:

Will there be center supports for the slats? Our new bed has a rail that runs down the middle, parallel to the side rails with two adjustable foot like supports going to the floor. 

Yes, there will be a center rail.. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to do it but, there will be a center rail...lol

The other beds that I've built all had the lower rails at the same height.  This bed's HB lower rail is raised up so there's no "natural" attachment point at the front.  This center rail may very well be attached to the slats and not the HB/FB..  The other option is to actually attach a mounting block to the bottom center of the HB to allow for that center rail.  I just need to get some sleep and think it through..  The answer will come.

18 minutes ago, Coop said:

“The answer will come”. If you’re like me, it will be at 3:00 a.m. and I get up and write it down and go back to bed.

Actually, after reading my reply to you I answered my own question.  

I went out to the shop and glued on a block in the center bottom of the HB.  It just made the most sense.  Plus, I had the off cuts from all the parts on hand so there wasn't any "milling" to do, just cut a piece to the appropriate width.

Now, lets just hope I didn't glue that block and the HB to my assembly table 😉

In that case the assembly table just becomes a large, misplaced night stand

• Haha 2

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

Well, I didn't glue it to my table so all is good...lol

I need to reassemble it and measure/mark for the center rail and I can't do that until my wife gets home.  So, I went ahead and applied the ARS to the sides that were available to me since they were ready.  When I take it back apart next time, I'll flip these pieces to the other sides and get the ARS on those as well.

Heading out to pick up the slat material and will work on that until my wife gets home..

First pop of color!

IMG_1237.thumb.jpeg.bf3e70a2ee5c3ff599a5f24b216a8722.jpeg

IMG_1238.thumb.jpeg.ac6cf962302eae4e9ee3d8bb00383835.jpeg

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Move it into the bedroom ASAP and maybe you could avoid them!

lol..  I did talk her into something fairly subdued but, they're drying up as I type this and I'll install them tonight..  Should be a shop clean and finish day tomorrow..

Pictures coming shortly of the finials..