Title of the document

Master BR Bed

Kev

My wife finally found a design she likes..  I'll be glad when this room is done, I'm getting tired of working with these monster heavy pieces!

This is just the picture she sent me.  Ours will be in African Mahogany probably with some Wenge accents..  I'll have to do the design work first..  Pretty sure the sitting bench at the end will be omitted as well.

Now to find some more 16/4 African Mahogany and a small army to help me wrestle the parts!

229334309_BedDesign.thumb.jpg.e3ca2da00609a4cba74133e84213a4ee.jpg

1 hour ago, Kev said:

Now to find some more 16/4 African Mahogany

I think I would just laminate and veneer the glue line edges.  

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

9 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Nice design, compared to what you have built for the bedroom, this looks a little rustic chunky.  The posts could probably go on a little diet.

100% AGREE!

You'll have to picture it without the "rustic" beating as I'm not going to do that to expensive lumber.  16/4 is as thick as I'm going on the legs and that's already a diet compared to the picture.

I'm also guessing that I'll taper the feet to match everything else in the room.

You might also want to consider the future. We had a bedroom suite with a foot board similar to your/her design. It got to be almost impossible to change the sheets due to the height of the footboard. We recently replaced ours with a lower profile. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coop said:

You might also want to consider the future. We had a bedroom suite with a foot board similar to your/her design. It got to be almost impossible to change the sheets due to the height of the footboard. We recently replaced ours with a lower profile. 

Kev's not old enough to have to worry about these things, but I hear you Coop.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

On 4/8/2021 at 9:33 PM, Coop said:

That foot board would give you a good toe hold for extra leverage tho!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

As I'm waiting for the T-Track to finish up the box sled, I jumped back into this project to do a little design work and start working up the material list.

The Footboard won't have the bench and will probably mimic the head board.  Won't look as "rustic" and I think it will fit better in the room.  My wife hasn't bought off on that yet so, subject to change 🤪

Assuming that's the case, I'll need 153BF of African Mahogany (8/4) and 20BF of Wenge to pull it off.  Based on my local pricing, that's $1,775.00 just in lumber.

I'll be veneering the sides of the ~ 5" x 5" legs to hide the glue lines as well.

I'll also need to really nail a couple grain matches to pull off the curved top rails in the headboard and footboard.

One last note..  Not sure I'm a fan of the "finials" on the tops of the original picture.  They would certainly be easy enough to do but, I'm not really a fan of them.  I'm sure my wife will let me know what I'm doing there.

Your price estimate just goes to show we woodworkers are a bit crazy.  We are willing to pay 2-3x not including our time, for what it would cost to buy.  Quality will be better of course.

With the curved rails, I would leave finials off the posts as well.  To me it’s a detail that wouldn’t draw my eye to.  

Once the wife signs off, you should have this done in 3-4 hours! 😂

17 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Once the wife signs off, you should have this done in 3-4 hours! 😂

lol..  Won't be that quick but, I'd like to make short work of it!  It's actually a project I don't want to do but, need to.  And, for some reason, beds don't do well on YouTube so, will try to get it all into one video.

1 hour ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Your price estimate just goes to show we woodworkers are a bit crazy.  We are willing to pay 2-3x not including our time, for what it would cost to buy.  Quality will be better of course.

The way I always think of it,  We couldn't afford to buy the quality of furniture I have made for my house if we bought it on the open market.  So actually we have nicer stuff for less money.

Kev, is this going to be a king bed?

If you are going to veneer the legs....couldn’t you make blanks out of popular and skin them? Know it wouldn’t cut much cost but might help the wallet some. 

Possibly could do that for a lot of the parts. Built an exterior door a number of years back and used a process like I mentioned. Went pretty well. 

Edited by Jamie

1 minute ago, Jamie said:

If you are going to veneer the legs....couldn’t you make blanks out of popular and skin them? Know it wouldn’t cut much cost but might help the wallet some 

I could but, then I'd have to skin all 4 sides instead of just 2.  Yes, it would be cheaper but, it would also take me longer and could be even more costly later if the bed gets damaged somehow and shows that poplar through the veneer.

1 minute ago, Kev said:

I could but, then I'd have to skin all 4 sides instead of just 2.  Yes, it would be cheaper but, it would also take me longer and could be even more costly later if the bed gets damaged somehow and shows that poplar through the veneer.

I should explain in more detail.........say the leg is 5x5 finished size. Make a popular leg blank 4x4 and use a 1/2 skin of wood of choice to cover it. That should give you enough to dent the heck out of it. Or rout a profile. 

if I remember correctly the door stiles were 2 1/2 thick. Made the blank 2” thick and applied a 1/4 skin to it. On the edges applied a 3/4 thick or so to be able to shape the grove profile. 

Just now, Jamie said:

I should explain in more detail.........say the leg is 5x5 finished size. Make a popular leg blank 4x4 and use a 1/2 skin of wood of choice to cover it. That should give you enough to dent the heck out of it. Or rout a profile. 

if I remember correctly the door stiles were 2 1/2 thick. Made the blank 2” thick and applied a 1/4 skin to it. On the edges applied a 3/4 thick or so to be able to shape the grove profile. 

But when you get that thick, the veneer trick doesn't work.  You would see that edge grain one 2 of the sides.

2 minutes ago, Kev said:

But when you get that thick, the veneer trick doesn't work.  You would see that edge grain one 2 of the sides.

True......miter the corners? I’m just thinking out loud. As with any of our projects there are many ways to do it.  Are you going to m & t the stiles to the curved rail?

I don’t let edge grain bother me as much as some people. It is wood after all and not plastic. 

Edited by Jamie

10 minutes ago, Jamie said:

True......miter the corners? I’m just thinking out loud. As with any of our projects there are many ways to do it.  Are you going to m & t the stiles to the curved rail?

I don’t let edge grain bother me as much as some people. It is wood after all and not plastic. 

That's a lot of mitered corner to get perfect...lol

The joinery will be the big domino.  Probably 3 per rail..  Biggest ones it will shoot..  14 x 140s. That's about 5.25 inches of beefy floating tenon!

• Like 2

And to boot....  Looking over my notes this morning, I miscalculated the BF requirements for the legs..  Actually, I just forgot to add 2 of the legs...lol

Total AM BF is about 180 BF, Wenge @ 20BF - New bill is $2020.00

Also, I ordered bar clamps this morning.  Tired of fighting these bigger project glue ups with clamps that are too short.

Just to show that I still do things the old fashioned way a lot!  The primary use of this notebook is to help me sort through thoughts and ideas.  Sometimes they go into Sketchup and sometimes I just work from them in the shop.  Regardless, they come out of the book when the project is done.  In hindsight, I probably should have hung on to all of them.  My kids may have gotten a kick out of seeing so many of their projects at the "idea" stage..

IMG_1190.thumb.jpeg.58582e5e72f8ec599dd6217a10b995b4.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kev said:

Just to show that I still do things the old fashioned way a lot!  The primary use of this notebook is to help me sort through thoughts and ideas.  Sometimes they go into Sketchup and sometimes I just work from them in the shop.  Regardless, they come out of the book when the project is done.  In hindsight, I probably should have hung on to all of them.  My kids may have gotten a kick out of seeing so many of their projects at the "idea" stage..

IMG_1190.thumb.jpeg.58582e5e72f8ec599dd6217a10b995b4.jpeg

Wow! Such nice handwriting! I like the idea of using graph paper to draw it up. Keeps it all nice and straight