Title of the document

Master BR Bed

Kev

12 hours ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Would she be interested in coming back east and mowing my lawn?  I’m getting tired of cutting the grass, I think I need a ZTR or a riding mower 

We have a rider and we kill everything that requires a push mower or a weedeater.  We want low maintenance..

I'll be the first to admit that my heart just wasn't into finishing up this headboard today with all the travel I've done in the last week but, I'm glad it's glued and clamped up!

Tomorrow, I'll work on creating the veneers for the legs and getting them glued up.

IMG_1230.thumb.jpeg.f9854644f2af7e54f02d3b5865ad7a2e.jpeg

• Like 3

Got an early start this morning as I was determined to get motivated on this project!  

Got the veneers cut for the legs and glued on!  I'll flush trim after the glue dries and hopefully see them mounted to the HB and FB later today!  Of course I had to make the decision on show faces as well as left and right first because I'm only going to veneer the outsides of the legs.  You won't see the insides because of the HB and FB.

IMG_1231.thumb.jpeg.83156d6d91d10baac6828f3d4eb5a2d7.jpeg

• Like 2

Got the FB glued up!  Epoxy for the open time..

The HB is also ready to go but, I don't have enough clamps with these in use.  I'll glue it up tomorrow when I get back from playing golf.

IMG_1232.thumb.jpeg.1ad7ef6507d01d79977041e9d4a320b1.jpeg

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Coop said:

+1

I’m sure liking the contrasting woods. Is the FB not as high as originally designed? 

Legs are 30" and it's 4" off of the floor.  The HB is quite a bit taller.

Headboard is all glued up!  Epoxy again for the open time.

Those "lines" you see in the top panel is just some sawdust, I should have blown it off before the picture!  My shop is a disaster so, will be spending the rest of today cleaning up squeeze out on the FB and cleaning the shop!

IMG_1233.thumb.jpeg.2f49336dd13d7bc8c7d3d6b71c295150.jpeg

• Like 3

And I was going to go out after dinner and mill the bed rails but, I have one board that just got too wonkey on me!  I guess that one will end up being the center rail and I'll have to pick up another board tomorrow..  That's it for today..  One "simple" glue up and a little shop cleaning..

29 minutes ago, Coop said:

On a project like this, do you bother to measure the diagonals to insure it’s square? 

Yes/no..  This one's tough because of the "live edge" top.  What I did do is ensure that the sides were 90 degrees with the bottom rail.  I did have a small correction cut to do on both the HB and FB with the track saw to get it right.  I did this for the HB and the FB.  When I measured the FB with the feet on (Live edge is out of play for that), it was pretty dead on.  To be honest, I was a little surprised it was that accurate over a piece that size!.  I'll measure the HB when it comes out of clamps tomorrow but, any correction (if any) will happen with the rails.

I'll be creating templates for the location of the hardware to ensure that I have a full 77" across and the distance up is correct.  By using the templates, any error in the HB or FB will be corrected when I mount the rails.

On a piece where the clamps get in the way like this one, I like to clamp it, then remove the clamps to check the diagonal and if it square, hopefully it remains square after putting the clamps back on. Yeah if the center stiles are floating, then they have to be dealt with using a good square. 

Edited by Coop

9 minutes ago, Coop said:

On a piece where the clamps get in the way like this one, I like to clamp it, then remove the clamps to check the diagonal and if it square, hopefully it remains square after putting the clamps back on. Yeah if the center stiles are floating, then they have to be dealt with using a good square. 

The center stiles are glued in but, I did that with a square and the panels help me there..  I'm most concerned with the overall squareness of the assembled piece.  If I'm a 1/16th or even an 1/8th out on a piece this big, you'd never be able to pick it out without a tape measure and a suspicion.  This will be around 82" wide and 85" long in total..  If you can pick out a 1/16th or an 1/8th over that size you're a better man than I...lol

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Jamie said:

You shop being a disaster is still cleaner than mine after I clean it!  Great progress! Love the look!

Decent in a picture does not represent the rest of the shop!

4 minutes ago, Coop said:

Jamie, some day we will compare disasters and you will walk away a happy man😀

I'm sure the mess I was dealing with today would give you a run for the money!  Just quicker to clean up because everything has a home and it was 80 degrees here today so I could open the big door and break out the leaf blower 😉

25 minutes ago, Kev said:

Just quicker to clean up because everything has a home and it was 80 degrees here today so I could open the big door and break out the leaf blower 

The leaf blower is the best shop cleaning tool made! I like using that trick as well, usually takes a few different sessions with it to get all the dust out as it stirs so much fine dust up that settles out. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Coop said:

I was wondering if it didn’t just re-distribute the dust? I’ve never tried it. 

There's certainly a bit of that but, I push the bulk of it out the door.  Like Jamie, I have to do a couple clean up passes through the shop but, my filter usually makes quick work of that..

13 minutes ago, Coop said:

As soon as the monsoons leave our area, I will give it a try. 

For me it’s the fine dust that sticks to the walls and settles on any flat surface. When you kick that up it can make quite the mess. 

The HB is out of clamps!  Still lots of sanding to do on it but, today is rail day.  I picked up the rail material and got it milled to size so, I wanted a quick mock up to ensure my numbers were good.

Next up, I'll be mortising in the "no mortise" hardware.  I mortise them in so that the seams suck up tight when assembled.

Oh, did I mention this one is heavy!?  lol

IMG_1234.thumb.jpeg.09ad96a9abab28850d8636223f0ef492.jpeg

• Like 4