Title of the document

Master BR Bed

Kev

20 minutes ago, Jamie said:

If I started driving now I could be there in time for supper

16 minutes ago, Coop said:

Jamie committed. Burgers and fries for dinner! 

Oh no...  Steaks and all the beer you can drink for anyone who shows up!

• Haha 2

Got an early start this morning as the finishing will be an all day adventure!  Just for grins and giggles, I added some ARS to the HB center rail mount block where the center rail attaches.  I was curious to see how soon I could cover ARS with WB poly.  It was just one coat of ARS and sat for roughly an hour before the first coat of WB.  Small area, shop at 70 degrees, same manufacturer (General finishes) of the 2 products.  I didn't notice any issues when spraying but, I'll see how it looks when this first coat dries..

IMG_1247.thumb.jpeg.84dba4abbe1f85f64670a42a451e1714.jpeg

I'll be applying 4 to 5 coats to all surfaces.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

You should have set up the master bedroom as the spray booth, wouldn’t have to move so far.  I’m sure the Mrs wouldn’t have minded a night or 2 away from home!

lol..  The other furniture I built for that room probably weigh more than this bed..  I like the way you're thinking though!

I think if I had the room you have in your shop I would have left it assembled minus the slats to spray the top coat.  Use some packing tape on the ends of the side rails to keep things from sticking together.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

1 hour ago, Chet said:

I think if I had the room you have in your shop I would have left it assembled minus the slats to spray the top coat.  Use some packing tape on the ends of the side rails to keep things from sticking together.

I actually did that to finish up the ARS and quickly found that I really didn't have the room in my shop.  I made it work for the wipe on but, the lighting was really poor and either one end or the other would have put me really close to a piece of equipment limiting the spraying space and probably getting over spray where I didn't want it.

A king bed is pretty much the max for my shop.  Sure, I could finish something a bit larger but, it just becomes cumbersome and the lighting really becomes an issue because of the shadows.

Besides that, it has to come apart to go in the house anyway...lol

2 hours ago, Kev said:

Besides that, it has to come apart to go in the house anyway.

Well that goes with out saying.   I was just thinking it would have been nice to access all sides all at once.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

9 minutes ago, Chet said:

Well that goes with out saying.   I was just thinking it would have been nice to access all sides all at once.

Agreed, that would have been nice!  My kid came home at lunch time and helped me get everything flipped over.

The bed is complete!  Waiting for my help to arrive to get it in the house..  My wife and I could move everything except the headboard..  It was just too heavy for my wife to take one end..

• Like 1

I'm hesitant to show pictures like this as it's not a progress shot or a final picture for the thumbnail.  Hell, in this case, the bed is barely made just so we can sleep in it tonight.  But, I don't mind sharing with you guys..

Couple things...

1.  The box spring on this set is the thin ones because the previous bed had drawers under it.  We'll be changing the actual box spring and mattress in the near future..  Probably an adjustable bed.

2.  The nightstands match the old set and will be replaced soon

3.  We've (for the most part) waited to hang pictures and things in this room until the furniture decisions had been made so, the walls are a bit bare.

"Money" shots in the next day or 2..  Overall, I'm super happy with how it turned out as is my wife..  She no longer needs a running start to get into bed...lol

IMG_1249.thumb.jpeg.7dddfd650816ba27a1b93b6fc6e624c7.jpeg

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Looks great, now it’s time to properly break it in!  Just make sure to take your shoes off first. 😂

Only thing happening in that bed tonight is sleep!

I had to rush a bit to finish this because I have to build/ship an urn to Georgia by the first for my wife's uncle.

29 minutes ago, Kev said:

Only thing happening in that bed tonight is sleep!

I had to rush a bit to finish this because I have to build/ship an urn to Georgia by the first for my wife's uncle.

Every night you turn it down is one you don’t get back. 

Nice job on the project! 

• Haha 2

Well if you get the adjustable bed you probably won't need the slates.  Most of the ones I have seen have their own frame and leg system.  Same with the sleep number beds.

38 minutes ago, Chet said:

Well if you get the adjustable bed you probably won't need the slates.  Most of the ones I have seen have their own frame and leg system.  Same with the sleep number beds.

Yep..  Fortunately I don't have much money tied up in the Alder for the slats and center rail.

3 hours ago, Chet said:

Agreed. @Kev if you happen to go with the Sleep Number adjustable bed I would be interested in how you tie it all together. 

3 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Agreed. @Kev if you happen to go with the Sleep Number adjustable bed I would be interested in how you tie it all together. 

I'll certainly keep everyone posted about any changes we make in that direction!  For now, I think we're just going to replace the box spring to get the height where it's supposed to be.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Really well done.  Honey Do list has night stands (tables) next?

They're definitely on this list this year...lol. I have another small box to do for the guy that does my plans, a new circle jig for the new band saw, and then the nightstands.  Of course I still have the design work to do for those first.

4 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

I don’t know how it would look or if it is too cost prohibitive but I wonder if you built out of wenge and the AM as the accents.  

Interesting twisted and it would look cool!  Wenge is currently about $20.00 per BF so, it's pretty cost prohibitive.  Additionally, getting 8/4 for the legs and 6/4 for the top would also require a special order as well as a jump in price.

Just for perspective..  The panels on the bed were a bit over $400.

I did buy some extra to account for drawer fronts on the nightstands though...lol. 

I haven't started the designs for the nightstands yet but, I do have a few bits on hand thinking they'll be used.  I have the AM 6/4 for the tops and the plug ins that get mounted in the tops like I did in the desk.