Title of the document

Master BR Bed

Kev

It doesn't look like a lot but, I actually got a lot done today!

All the parts are milled to (I hope) final thickness.  the stiles are all about 1/4" oversized right now in width.  They're all still really long as well.  I want to get the curves in the top with the tenons on them before cutting to final length.

I got the curves roughed out at the new band saw and the HB top rail flush trimmed with the fake live edge applied.  I was going to do that step much later but, after making such a mess with the flush trimming it just seemed a good time to do the power carving.

The FB top rail is currently waiting for this epoxy to cure on the HB before flush trimming it.

IMG_1208.thumb.jpeg.10de7acc9ad718931469f708a70b3c57.jpeg

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Coop said:

Have you had time to form an opinion on the new bs?

Yes/No..  This was an unfair project for it's inaugural run!  Those pieces are so damn big and I'm not used to the saw yet.  I ended up leaving too much material which caused me some headaches when flush trimming.

It's a nice saw and that's why I ordered it.  Looking forward to a couple projects where I'm not wrestling pieces of this size!

16 minutes ago, Coop said:

Might be a chore for the Milwaukee Fuel jig saw. I love that thing! I think I even talked Chet into buying one? 😀

More there than I wanted to do with any jig saw!

13 hours ago, Coop said:

I think I even talked Chet into buying one? 

Or it could have been the other way around,  I don't recall anymore.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

56 minutes ago, Kev said:

I don't recall if you had the Bosch or the Milwaukee when I was there?

I had the Bosch which I always like but the power of the Milwaukee is just so superb I don't use the Bosch much anymore.  The Bosch is also corded.

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

Another fairly long day in the shop!  

I cut the bottom rails and all the stiles to final width and will give them one more flatness check before assigning them to their final locations.

I cut the groove in the HB and FB top rails with a hand held router.  I'll do the lower rails and stiles at the TS and a dado stack.  I still have some sanding and clean up work to do on these but, they're getting pretty close!

IMG_1210.thumb.jpeg.552cd08d395bbda0d428fe5b3a9b8378.jpeg

I also milled and glued up all the legs..  This was the tedious part of my day since nobody took me up on the shop apprentice offer 😉  The FB legs are on the floor in the back..

IMG_1209.thumb.jpeg.8ccea968cd5aac51f346dda91afa1fb0.jpeg

I'll let everything cure up tonight and go at it again tomorrow..

I still have to pick up the rail material as well as the Wenge.  I may do that tomorrow, I"m not sure yet.

This next 2 weeks is going to be hit and miss for me.  I'm leaving for Washington on Thursday morning to spread my dad's ashes and returning late Friday evening.  Then on Monday of the following week, I have to fly to Louisiana on a work trip that should only last about 3 days..

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Kev said:

I cut the groove in the HB and FB top rails with a hand held router.

I have a task like this on our bed project.  I was thinking it would go best using the router and the two edge guides.  Is that the way you did it?

7 hours ago, Chet said:

I have a task like this on our bed project.  I was thinking it would go best using the router and the two edge guides.  Is that the way you did it?

No..  It's a rabbeting bit 1/2" x 1/2" with a bearing. Plus, the part is curved so, the edge guide wouldn't work.

IMG_1211.thumb.jpeg.8ceefd170b65bb8dbb6aeca0c5fad29b.jpeg

Question for the group..  This one has me scratching my head a bit..  I think I know what I'm going to do but, I'm interested in the group thoughts..

How would you go about routing this curve in the tops of these boards with a 1/2" tongue?

IMG_1212.thumb.jpeg.11f61fc4cc5a409f4d2361fa02b9ef03.jpeg

I think I would opt for a loose tenon.   Rout your mortise in the end then cut the curve.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kev said:

No..  It's a rabbeting bit 1/2" x 1/2" with a bearing. Plus, the part is curved so, the edge guide wouldn't work.

Okay, I see how you did it.  When you said Hand Held in my mind I went to Palm Router

28 minutes ago, Chet said:

I think I would opt for a loose tenon.   Rout your mortise in the end then cut the curve.

That's an interesting twist I hadn't thought of!

25 minutes ago, Chet said:

Okay, I see how you did it.  When you said Hand Held in my mind I went to Palm Router

OF1400 Router.

Huge shout out to @Chet!  His solution was much simpler than mine and I still had the setting on the router from doing the upper rails so, just made perfect sense!  Thank you!

After dinner, I'll be able to show the headboard (without the panels) and it turned out great!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kev said:

Sure now that all the heavy lifting is done...lol 

Just the long rails and some Wenge panels left.

Well it was a couple days since I checked in, so was a little behind. See that you have moved a long ways in the project, looks great bud! 

• Thanks 1

Great morning in the shop!  I've now got all the really messy work completed so, I can finally clean the shop, replace the dado stack in the saw, and start milling Wenge for the panels!

FB is ready for panels!

IMG_1214.thumb.jpeg.088ec4ddfeba8b4473e176097cf19058.jpeg

• Like 2

Not to rush ahead on this project but are there going t one matching nightstands in the future?