Title of the document

Master BR Bed

Kev

Well, it looks like this is now the current project!  I picked up about 115 BF of African Mahogany this morning!  I need to get my wife to approve lessening the curve on the top to allow me to pull off those upper rails from one board!

I did a quick sketch up drawing to get the proportions right as well as figuring out the sizes of the verticals.

1804151224_MBBedHeadboard.thumb.jpg.03a46355f2ddc126a2c2564fe570a809.jpg

And, here's what a grand gets you at my local HW dealer..  I know there's a bed in there someplace...lol. You'll notice the blue circles..  Those are reference for which end of the board the grain shows up best on.  I like to do this with AM so the boards all get oriented the same direction to prevent what looks like mismatched boards.

IMG_1202.thumb.jpeg.9bfa7a37a26c2cb4a18acf58ba165add.jpeg

• Like 3

My wife bought off on the design with a couple minor changes..

1.  She wants the finials back on the top - I'm working on that one...lol

2.  She wants the tops of the headboard and footboard to look live edge like I did on the desk.  I actually think this will be a nice "blending" touch.

Ultimately, she wanted a steeper top curve like the picture but, realizing that all of the main members would require a grain matching glue up and knowing the cost of this lumber, I think she realizes the difference between building a bed like this with cheap fir/pine slats vs African Mahogany/Wenge..  We just had to make some design changes to not require a second mortgage on the house!

• Like 1

I wonder if you couldn't get away with something as simple 1 1/2" high X 3/4" thick with a fairly heavy chamfer round the top edge.  

Come up with a clean un-assuming design and then two god awful designs and then pray that she picks right.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

2 hours ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Well if the finials are a must, then I guess you got no choice but to put them on.  I would say that the finials May look odd with the live edge look, and this may be a hill I’m willing to die on.

I think I can win on the finial front by adding the "live edge" to the tops of the rails..  I think once she sees it without them, she'll see my point of view.

2 hours ago, Chet said:

I wonder if you couldn't get away with something as simple 1 1/2" high X 3/4" thick with a fairly heavy chamfer round the top edge.  

Come up with a clean un-assuming design and then two god awful designs and then pray that she picks right.

As I said, she really wanted more curve but, to pull that off, I'd need some monster material!  By going with this design, I can get it out of a 9" board without laminating.  I really didn't want to laminate because the grain match would be difficult and I didn't want a showing seam.  Plus, if I did laminate to get a wider top rail then, I would need to also laminate to get all the other parts to match the width..  My scrap pile would be horrendous as well as my final bill at the lumber yard!

22 minutes ago, Coop said:

Kev, looking back, initially you were going with 16/4 for the legs. Has that not arrived or did you change your mind and are going in a different direction?

Couldn't get the 16/4 and my wife wanted even bigger..  So, I'm going to laminate 3ea 8/4 boards together to get to around 20/4 (5" x 5") and veneer the sides to hide the glue lines.

5 minutes ago, Coop said:

And these are included in the pic of the $1k of material? 

I hope so...lol

Tomorrow, I'll build the template for the top rails.  As these are the most visible, I want to pick out the best pieces for those first.  I'll then move through the lumber picking out appropriate parts that will be visible.  What's left will become the legs with the best face forward.  The side veneers will also be cut from a nice piece to ensure they look great as well.

2 minutes ago, Jamie said:

I think the live edge look will become the focal point of this bed, have to give her props for that idea! Man 1k just doesn’t go as far as it should. 

Yea, I picked out the boards and my HW guy asked me to guess this price...  I said $780...  He said "brace yourself"......lol

• Haha 1

Just now, Kev said:

Yea, I picked out the boards and my HW guy asked me to guess this price...  I said $780...  He said "brace yourself"......lol

Lol! That’s probably not what you wanted to hear! I’m glad there isn’t a dealer close with imported material. I feel I spend enough on domestic material. 

4 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Lol! That’s probably not what you wanted to hear! I’m glad there isn’t a dealer close with imported material. I feel I spend enough on domestic material. 

That's my only local dealer but, we have a great relationship!  He's even sponsored a couple videos.

African Mahogany and Sapele are regular sellers for them but, the Wenge and other exotics are pretty thin there!

Just now, Kev said:

That's my only local dealer but, we have a great relationship!  He's even sponsored a couple videos.

African Mahogany and Sapele are regular sellers for them but, the Wenge and other exotics are pretty thin there!

Couldn’t talk him into sponsoring this one? 😂

• Thanks 1

Just now, Jamie said:

Couldn’t talk him into sponsoring this one? 😂

I didn't ask to be honest..  He already reduces my bill by 10% over list on every purchase.  He'll do 13% if I pay cash so he doesn't have the CC fees....lol

Got an early start in the shop today because I have a bunch of "outside" work to get done today..  

I created templates for the individual parts.  These help to ensure I pick the right grain pattern that I want for each piece. Upper HB/FB rails, lower HB/FB rails, and the 8 stiles in the HB/FB.

IMG_1203.thumb.jpeg.11f0338d57f8b1f1533d2031648d4084.jpeg

Next, I transferred breakdown marks on the actual lumber so I can start getting this stuff info more manageable pieces.  Looks like I'll be short for the bed rails and the center lower rail to support the middle of the bed.

IMG_1204.thumb.jpeg.826b3c5375062ae38abe40c52ec5a3f3.jpeg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kev said:

He said "brace yourself"

At least he didn't say you might want to sit down.

• Haha 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

Well, it was 70 and sunny today so, I tried to get my outdoor stuff done today so I could spend more time in the shop this weekend..

I did manage to get that pile of boards broke down and ready for milling..  I still need to break down the boards for the legs and pick up the boards for the rails and panels..

IMG_1206.thumb.jpeg.be55bb09a29dea5c5d1d6b2f4f648123.jpeg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kev said:

Ok..  I need a shop apprentice that will come mill this lumber for me!

What's the pay and bennie package?