Title of the document

Ground breaking for Ray's shop

Kev

14 minutes ago, Coop said:

We’ve got a hard freeze (mid to low 20’s) coming up early next week and just out of curiosity, I checked the weather for Kalispell and holy crap! Will be interested to know how warm the mini split keeps the shop in -30* temps? Or when it gets that cold, do you just stay inside and snuggle with mamma and say screw the shop? 

Mine has never let me down..  I don't expect @Ray Martin's will act any differently..  We shall see.

• Like 1

Just now, Coop said:

I currently have a window unit that provides cool and heat to my shop. I wonder, in our climate, if a mini split would be more efficient ? 

Possibly..  I maintain temperature in my shop all the time and the split is really efficient.  If you're only heating or cooing occasionally, probably not.  I think where you live, there's probably a great deal of the year that you're not using either?

1 hour ago, Coop said:

I honestly didn’t know it ever got that cold in the lower 48 states! 

back in 1975 Kathy and I were on a ski vacation in Vail Colorado.  One day we took   the lift to the top a Vail Mountain, we got off the lift, looked at the temp gauge, -35.  We skied back down to the warmth of the lodge and called it a day.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

18 hours ago, Coop said:

I honestly didn’t know it ever got that cold in the lower 48 states! 

I’m in Montana too and this was a windchill temp recorded near me last winter. Brrrrrr! I have a 50,000 btu pellet stove in my garage and got it fired up yesterday afternoon and it was a nice 68 degrees this morning with it below zero outside. Keeping it running and will be interesting to see how it holds up to the expected 35 below zero this Saturday. I imagine it’s going to greatly struggle but we shall see how bad. 

8FF7C502-7561-4606-A5C6-039F3ED4100D.jpeg

• Like 3

Do you guys, and I guess I could look back on this thread, use2x6’s for wall studs instead of 2x4’s as a standard for greater insulation? 
I would imagine that half of our school districts will shut down next week when it reaches the low 20’s until it passes. 

5 minutes ago, Coop said:

Do you guys, and I guess I could look back on this thread, use2x6’s for wall studs instead of 2x4’s as a standard for greater insulation? 
I would imagine that half of our school districts will shut down next week when it reaches the low 20’s until it passes. 

Yes, that's standard construction..  Was when I was in WA as well..

11 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Looks great!! I appreciate the mini split info as well I had heard they wouldn't work well in markets that cold good to know they have either improved or what I had read was not accurate.

@pkinneb have been having trouble with my splits today. 56 degrees was the warmest I could get the shop. They kept shutting down. Not sure why. Got them to work again for about 6 hours and they shut down again. Will call Monday to find out and update you then.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ray Martin said:

@pkinneb have been having trouble with my splits today. 56 degrees was the warmest I could get the shop. They kept shutting down. Not sure why. Got them to work again for about 6 hours and they shut down again. Will call Monday to find out and update you then.

Some of them shut down at a certain temperature to protect themselves.  Our pump for the house shut down today so, we only had the furnace.  The shop ones kept going but, wasn't much warmer than what you're getting..

Definitely a bit colder than normal!

• Like 1

I have forced air furnace heat/ Air conditioning in my shop becuase mini splits weren't a thing when I built my shop but I have always thought if my unit craps out I would look at them for both space and cost considerations. Keep me posted we definitely get cold here -1 is the high for the next few days 🙂 

3 hours ago, pkinneb said:

I have forced air furnace heat/ Air conditioning in my shop becuase mini splits weren't a thing when I built my shop but I have always thought if my unit craps out I would look at them for both space and cost considerations. Keep me posted we definitely get cold here -1 is the high for the next few days 🙂 

Our temps were a bit warmer at around 3 degrees and all my units were working fine..

Not sure about @Ray Martin though..

• Like 2

Had to do a bit of work today sealing the rest of my electrical boxes with some expanding foam. As Kevin stated temperatures were a bit warmer today.  1° was the high. Mini spllits stayed on all day. I was also informed that they don't do well below10°. We were certainly well below that the last couple of days. After sealing the boxes the temperature went up 2°. Got it up to 57. Normally they are 66-67° at about 20° outside temperature.  That is plenty warm enough in the shop as I have had to turn it down a couple of degrees on occasion.  Let's hope they keep operating as they did today. Still going g to. Are a phone call tomorrow.  Will keep you informed.  @Kev @pkinneb

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well with all the electrical boxes sealed temperature in shop is 59°. Temperature outside is -5°. Much better. Supposed to get 8-14"s of snow in the next couple of days.  Temperatures will be in mid 20s. Should be warmer in the shop.

• Like 2

Started building lower cabinets for miter Station today. For sure will build 3 or 4 more. Haven't made up my mind yet. Hih temperatures today about 14. Mini splits working well. By sealing the electrical boxes made a huge difference.  Was 64 in the shop ( had it turned down) and was actually a little warm. 20240117_184042.thumb.jpg.375b3d31b701d5c82c6d3628cde88c6f.jpg

• Like 4