Title of the document

Ground breaking for Ray's shop

Kev

• 2 weeks later...

Update on this project...

Ray is out of town right now but, they're pouring concrete in the morning for his shop..  Ray has asked me to go over and just be there if they need anything.  I'm sure I'll be there a few hours but, I don't expect I'll be needed in any way..  I'll update this thread with a few pictures tomorrow after the pour.

The city recently ran a new 18” water line down our street 8’ below grade using one of those slant hole drilling machines. I was so intrigued that I watched them the first 3 days and explained to el jefe that if I got in the way let me know as I  just wanted to learn and not supervise. The second afternoon, I bought them a12 pack of Tecate and after that, I was their friend. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Coop said:

The city recently ran a new 18” water line down our street 8’ below grade using one of those slant hole drilling machines. I was so intrigued that I watched them the first 3 days and explained to el jefe that if I got in the way let me know as I  just wanted to learn and not supervise. The second afternoon, I bought them a12 pack of Tecate and after that, I was their friend. 

I've been known to bring a beverage or 2 for those working hard on my behalf!

12 hours ago, Coop said:

The second afternoon, I bought them a12 pack of Tecate and after that, I was their friend. 

12 hours ago, Kev said:

I've been known to bring a beverage or 2 for those working hard on my behalf!

I have done the same a couple of times but I always wonder if I did the right thing because years ago a friend of my parents was having a retirement home built in Idaho.  He provided an end of day beverage to the crew.  One of them was in a car accident on the way home and the home owner got sued.  

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

4 hours ago, Chet said:

I have done the same a couple of times but I always wonder if I did the right thing because years ago a friend of my parents was having a retirement home built in Idaho.  He provided an end of day beverage to the crew.  One of them was in a car accident on the way home and the home owner got sued.  

It is a fine line and you have to be smart about it.  Just depends on the people you're dealing with and never allowing enough of it to flow to cause someone to be impaired.  Now if they depart with it without drinking it then, it's on them.  Like I said, not all situations are the same and you have to feel them out case by case.

Was a good day for Ray's shop today!

I started out by following the first concrete truck into Ray's house..

image.thumb.jpeg.53186086587c03d7b5d6b38380e40d3c.jpeg

They needed a pumper to get to the back of the new shop..

image.thumb.jpeg.40592e63b71ae52db0a203f30f8bea5f.jpeg

All the forms were set late yesterday afternoon so, it wasn't long after I arrived that the concrete started flowing..  24 yards worth..

image.thumb.jpeg.5946663068a218be0b9a16467d1f244e.jpeg

They started with the footings..

image.thumb.jpeg.a9ee439876385cf67fc777c7517364bb.jpeg

Then onto the slab itself

image.thumb.jpeg.c5c5e3bb642da229757fad85d13b3155.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4ab33782678fbc89244da045374b8f8d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7e29e23a1be8558379c0af2072657ecd.jpeg

After letting it sit for a couple hours, they started power troweling..  About 2.5 hours of power troweling!

image.thumb.jpeg.684f770c983f7a8238b809d7f3f24534.jpeg

And then they sprayed a sealer on it to help slow down the curing process..

image.thumb.jpeg.ed6d3163d2fe510e62f9913645e52a98.jpeg

And this is where it was at when Ray got home and I left.  I know that they were going to do the saw cuts in it as well as remove the forms today but, I'll let Ray take over from here...

Great crew that really knew what they were doing!

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning fellow woodworkers.  Just a quick update on the progress of the new shop.  Returned home from vacation almost 2 weeks ago and was pleased to see the slab had been poured.  Shout out to Kevin for the non paying position of supervisor while I was away. Lol.  Contractor returned a couple of day ago to tidy up and finish up the gravel around the slab.  Next update for erection of shop around last week of August or first week of September.

image.thumb.jpeg.48cfb0bc8f2ae3c69bb2d469b353079e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.440cccfe85642e6e3aa8873d58bd3605.jpeg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good morning all.  Well the time is certainly getting close.  Materials were dropped off yesterday morning. They are saying construction will start on the 6th of September (Wednesday). Their sticking to the one week build. Looks like everything is pre cut and all they have to do is put it together. Will update as they move forward. Getting exciting.

20230831_094832.jpg

20230831_100735.jpg

20230831_133430.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ray Martin said:

Morning Coop . Things seem to be ramping up and am very excited.  They are telling me Wednesday for start date. Hopefully a week later they will be done. I will be doing the finish work inside.  Electrical, insulation and drywall.  Things are coming together. 

That means it should be warm in there by the time I get there...  🤣

59 minutes ago, Coop said:

What are your plans when you do go? Assist in the layout? 

Obviously, @Ray Martin and I have had a lot of conversations but, all the decisions are his..  

It's my understanding that he's doing most of the inside work himself.  I believe there's a bit of that hired out and, of course, I'll be there to help as much as possible.

Pretty sure we're building an internal wall as well as some drywalling and finishing stuff.

After that, I'm pretty sure there's a good amount of new shop furniture on his agenda so, I'm looking forward to helping him through that stuff as well.