Title of the document

Dining room table

1 hour ago, Kev said:

Looking great!

looks like it’s time for some ac in the shop. 

Thanks! 

The ac issue will be solved by the end of August. Perfect timing. A guy who works for me I gave a good sized window unit a couple years back. His wife and him are moving to a place with central air so he is going to give it back. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jamie said:

Thanks! 

The ac issue will be solved by the end of August. Perfect timing. A guy who works for me I gave a good sized window unit a couple years back. His wife and him are moving to a place with central air so he is going to give it back. 

Spell Kev for a couple of weeks and you can completely pay for a new central unit for your shop. You’d probably have a helluva time getting him back to relieve you though! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tmize said:

One of the the few good things about a basement shop I have central hvac just had to cut in a grill. 

That is the only thing that I miss from my old basement shop.  I did get an ac unit from my neighbor tonight. Lil old but it will take the edge off. It’s something how this table top is teaching me a lot about wood movement. It has moved about 1/16” in the last week. Going from 66% humidity in the shop now down to around 50%. So if my math is correct this table should shrink around another 1/8” in the winter when our house gets pretty dry. With using lp heat it will drop to around 35%. We do run a humidifier to help it out. 

31 minutes ago, Kev said:

I see you have a helper..  Perhaps I should say "quality control"..  That's awesome!

Really looking sharp!

Yeah she like to check in on me! Especially when it’s close to her bed time, she has it figured out to ask questions around then. Usually buys her a extra 10 min or so before Mom is yelling at both of us. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Usually buys her a extra 10 min or so before Mom is yelling at both of us. 

And you respond by yelling "but it's her faaault"?

The table is really coming along Jamie.

• Haha 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

Last night got the table sanded up and stained! Putting the stain or finish on a project is always very rewarding to me, getting to see it come to life.  Did recruit Courtney to help with the staining. Which was nice to have her run the brush and wipe it down. I use a paint roller cut into 1/4s staple it to a piece of scrap and wipe the stain on with that. Works way better than a brush and a lot cleaner than a rag. The paint roller also holds quite a bit of stain so you can go a long ways without re dipping. F7256C33-84AD-4F96-914B-279B6EED28C8.thumb.jpeg.2f379051fb92c939d31f86e677adba6e.jpeg

64D422DA-5BBE-459D-9C79-BBB528D20A98.thumb.jpeg.416b8838116717b62e9f0dfdace1b6fe.jpeg8AB11985-9085-4FE9-A87D-3E35429AD12C.thumb.jpeg.09b31cb6dd92f784448f45c9f662ff6b.jpeg7CC72C63-5A0A-4100-A6F6-F734433EC4B2.thumb.jpeg.f1404efa099558d3d06e5e2b51eab54d.jpeg

Did spray it with lacquer tonight. Almost got it completed but ran a little short on finish. Will pick up another gallon hopefully tomorrow and will get the last coats on the top. I put 3 coats on the legs and stretcher. Also 3 coats on the bottom side of the top and will probably go with 4 on the top side. I sand to 280 between coats mostly with a soft pad. Did go with a block of mdf and the paper stuck to it on the top. 

With this project nearing the end it has me thinking about chairs. Since our table now is pub height the chairs won’t work. I priced a few out from an Amish dealer and wow did the price scare me away quickly.  $349 for a oak unfinished chair with arms and $320 for a side chair. Thinking 8 chairs total would add up really quick. I do have quite a bit of the same lumber left from the table build that I could possibly build my own. I have never built a chair and up fir the challenge. I have fixed enough chairs that I know I don’t want to dowel them,  am thinking that a domino might be needed ?. Can justify it because I’m not buying the chairs, right? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Coop said:

Jamie, how big is your shop? There’s no way I could get that much room for finish in mine! 

It’s not big enough @Coop! The building is 30x40 with 11’3” ceilings. The reason they are that height is so it would get a little higher than our existing 2 car garage. The shop also is a boat house and I park my truck in there when I can. The area that I have the table set up for finishing is where I usually park. I would say the shop space is 18x40 roughly. The boat motor cuts into it some. I’m planning on doing a shop tour once the table is out of the shop and I give it a quick clean up. 

• Like 1

What color stain did you use?  That looks real close to the Golden Oak Danish oil I used on mine followed by GF Enduro-Var.  I used the Danish Oil because that is what the manufacturer  of our chairs used.

Your stain job came out looking real nice.  Your roller idea is cool, I wonder how it would work with a wipe on finish.

This project is really coming out nice Jamie

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

9 hours ago, Chet said:

What color stain did you use?  That looks real close to the Golden Oak Danish oil I used on mine followed by GF Enduro-Var.  I used the Danish Oil because that is what the manufacturer  of our chairs used.

Your stain job came out looking real nice.  Your roller idea is cool, I wonder how it would work with a wipe on finish.

This project is really coming out nice Jamie

I used old masters brand, early American. Covered it with 3-4 coats of Sherwin Williams pre cat lacquer dull rub.

Not sure how well it would work with a wipe on finish as sometimes the fibers of the roller can be a little fuzzy.  I bet it would work if your wrapped a piece of cloth over it. Would hold quite a bit of finish that way. Now that I think of it I did do that one time when I was putting finish on the floor of our old house. In that case I just cut the roller in half and attached it to a long handle. I just used it to spread the poly, I would just pour some out on the floor and spread it the whole length of the floor, couldn’t stop in the middle or would get a start stop mark. 

Thank you everyone for the very nice comments and compliments. Also thank you for all your input on questions that came up. I think being part of this group pushes me to to want to try new things and challenges my thinking. Which is awesome. Thank you all very much. I will post a picture once the table is in the house. 

• Like 1