Title of the document

Dining room table

Took the afternoon off work since we had 4” of rain yesterday and was raining again today. Finished up a closet system for a buddy and got to work on the table. The dowel rods showed up and I was excited to get the ends on. Did get the tenons glued in last night. Had no issues laying it all out and got the holes drilled in the breadboard end. Transferee the hole location to the tenons and moved the mark 1/32 or so. Problem was I moved it the wrong way. When I put the first end on and pounded the dowel through it made one very unsightly gap. Bone head move. Never gave it a second thought when I marked it out. Not blaming my buddy at all but we were talking the whole time and I mentioned to him how nervous I was about the whole process. I have never done ends like this before. Luckily the buddy and a neighbor were there while the glue was still wet. Got the dowel out of the center hole and ran the bit through with clamps holing it tight. Got the pin in with a tight joint. Couldn’t think of any way to solve this other than using a pocket hole on the bottom of the table that I will have to ream out to allow the movement. Didn’t have the right bit for this operation but did get one ordered. Didn’t go as planed but will work out. 35009670-2EDF-4C3A-8083-B66BF6575363.thumb.jpeg.73da89835f7f0011a19883d9e8e330b3.jpeg

• Like 1

it happens..

Would have been a PITA but, if you could have gotten the BB off, you could have just filled the hole in the tenon with a dowel and then redialed after the glue was dry.  

I'm sure it will last just as long as is though!  Looks good!

2 hours ago, Kev said:

it happens..

Would have been a PITA but, if you could have gotten the BB off, you could have just filled the hole in the tenon with a dowel and then redialed after the glue was dry.  

I'm sure it will last just as long as is though!  Looks good!

The thought of taking it off and plugging the holes did cross my mind, decided not to go that route as the holes in the tenons were hogged out to allow expansion didnt feel like I would have gotten a good fit that way.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jamie said:

Embarrassed to even share that mistake with you guys 

Why? because you think we haven't done it a few hundred times ourselves, Lol.

There could be a few fixes but what it comes down to is will it really matter and the answer is probably not at all.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

50 minutes ago, Chet said:

Why? because you think we haven't done it a few hundred times ourselves, Lol.

There could be a few fixes but what it comes down to is will it really matter and the answer is probably not at all.

Reason am embarrassed by it is that it was one of those mistakes that I didn't expect myself to make.  I will know to check for the next time, in all honesty I dont remember ever doing breadboard ends before. It has been a good experience or should I say learning experience.  

I think the fix I went with will work just fine, will plug the holes and nobody will ever know unless they are crawling under the table.  

42 minutes ago, Jamie said:

I will know to check for the next time

My way to get it right is remember you want to move your mark in the same direction as you want the joint to tighten.

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

We have all made similar mistakes I promise. An sharing may keep someone else from maybe make that same mistake themselves. I know I’ve read an learned more from others mishaps than I could have learned in 100 years as a hobby woodworker. 

• Like 2

Thanks for all the support guys! You guys are the best! Messed around with the top tonight and am satisfied with it. It will all work out even though it didn’t go according to plan. Am going to cut the ends, get them cleaned up and get it through the wind belt. Hopefully can do that by Saturday morning. Would like to get finish shot on it Sunday. 

074BD1CD-BACD-47F4-AC70-BD7B6D808D06.thumb.jpeg.c79f542b85830826e195b60092a62444.jpeg02E55500-8EC9-4426-82A5-02A6609690B0.thumb.jpeg.3cc5829d18246bf9d43f6a3726d4a7fd.jpeg

The gap looks worse than what it is. Used my refurbished hand plane to trim down the dowels after flush cutting them. What a joy to use! 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Kev said:

A little CA glue and sanding without dust collection should fix that little gap up..

That is you of the best tricks I’ve learned. I think I got it from one of your videos. 

A long shoulder like that is extremely hard to get perfect. I’ve got to where I’ll put a slight belly on the breadboard end. Then clamp it which I find helps the joint line look cleaner. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jamie said:

Would you use a thicker ca glue in this situation?

Nope. Just be sure to sand while it’s still wet. It will drive that dust into the gap and dry it in place. 

I did a video on this a while back. 

• Like 2

I did use thicker CA once and I would consider it a mistake and would tell others don't do it.  With the thicker stuff, when I first started the sander the glue sort smeared and did a pore fill of sorts in an area about the size of a silver dollar around the gap.  It came clean after quite a bit of extra sanding but I wasn't happy at first.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2020 at 2:40 PM, Kev said:

Nope. Just be sure to sand while it’s still wet. It will drive that dust into the gap and dry it in place. 

I did a video on this a while back. 

I’m a little nervous about doing that on the breadboard end joint to the table. Wouldn’t that lock the expansion in place?

On 6/13/2020 at 9:07 PM, Coop said:

Looking good Jamie. Will the bb ends extend that far out from the table or will you trim them back? It probably looks longer due to the angle of the pic. 

Thanks! The ends will be cut flush.  They overhang in the picture about 1 1/2 inches. Planning on cutting them close with a circular saw and cleaning up with a belt sander. Holding the sander vertically and using it like you would scribe cut a piece. 

• Like 1

Did get some work in on the table but not what I was intending on doing. Either way it’s progress. Wasn’t able to get to the cabinet shop with the wide belt sander this weekend so focused my attention on the legs. Cut all the curves on the bandsaw. Used a 1/2 3tpi blade to make the cuts, was like a hot knife through butter. The more I use the bandsaw the more I like it. C541BA2D-5065-49A5-A920-8D1F6A9C1064.thumb.jpeg.424b74cbf8833dc03c479ce353615523.jpeg

Then went to work on the tenons. Cut the shoulder on the table saw and all the cheeks on the bandsaw. Was a pretty simple process. Each mortise was just a hair different so numbered each tenon and custom fit each one using a chisel to clean up the walls and a block plane on the tenon. Was a fun process for me, in all the years of cabinet making I very seldom reached for a block plane. 96488119-EB7A-4CFA-9549-8EDF5F2EF036.thumb.jpeg.a2fc9fe423abb773b1abe8ce9fd17919.jpegF8F7F077-AEA0-4450-8388-FCA281730597.thumb.jpeg.47d86d40a4796d6007cff9ef346e0128.jpeg

had to set them on the table to get a feel for how they will look. They aren’t glued at this point yet as I have to cut a through tenon for the stretchers yet. Trying to decide on how I’m going to tackle it, might try the hcm, the Drill and chisel method, or going with a jig saw and file. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Jamie said:

I’m a little nervous about doing that on the breadboard end joint to the table. Wouldn’t that lock the expansion in place?

Not really..  It's a purely cosmetic fix.  

Run a test on something so that you can see how it works..

3 hours ago, Kev said:

Not really..  It's a purely cosmetic fix.  

Run a test on something so that you can see how it works..

Ive dont that trick a few times in the past with good old yellow glue and it does a nice job.  I have some ca glue showing up this week as I was out of it.  Will do a test run like you mentioned.  Good advice!