Title of the document

Dining room table

So I picked up the lumber and quite a bit extra to build a dining table for our home. This has been a topic of discussion in our house for some time, with a lot of disagreement. I wanted an oval expanding table with 2 pedestal turnings and claw feet. 

The table I get to build is a trestle table. Am still trying to nail down the final plans, in the latest issue of popular woodworking they had plans for a table with a design I can live with. Am thinking on doing breadboard ends to change it up and to make it a little more challenging.  Wish I had a domino for this process but will make due without it.  Trying to decide on making my own loose tenons or going with traditional methods. Either way will be down in with dowels.  

Red oak is going to be the wood of choice.  Got a pretty good deal on it $2.50 a bf. A little back story on the material.....back about 15 years ago my uncle had this tree cut up and brought it to the cabinet shop I worked at to have it kiln dried. I told him at that time that I wanted it to build a kitchen table with it. He didn’t want to sell it at that time and has held on to it for me since then. BC085772-568B-41B7-B1CC-547817A41E30.thumb.jpeg.39fccdb93de5df233f36466709c22935.jpeg

Pretty big stack of lumber that I don’t really have the room for. Dug through the pile and found the boards for the top and other pieces. Top will be 3 boards to get the 40” that I’m looking for. The center board will be around 17” finished out. 87CF7245-3A4F-4BBB-AEDA-2F6B7D5861E2.thumb.jpeg.ca99f646ff246973bf0e27b4b2035789.jpeg

Here is a picture of the table in the magazine. 

• Like 3

I like the table. I don’t know if I have ever seen tusked tenons done like that definitely a focal point on the table. 

To me making your own loose tenons joints. The tough part is mortiseing into the end grain is tough. I guess with a dual guide router would be the best. 

8 minutes ago, Tmize said:

I like the table. I don’t know if I have ever seen tusked tenons done like that definitely a focal point on the table. 

To me making your own loose tenons joints. The tough part is mortiseing into the end grain is tough. I guess with a dual guide router would be the best. 

Yeah it was a new to me design that I have never seen before. I do like the look of it though.

Yes the mortise in the end grain of the table would be a challenge. I only have a single side guide for my router. But a fresh new bit would be getting purchased. It will be a little difficult and exciting to do!

Courtney did say that it makes her no difference if there are breadboard ends on it or not. My thoughts are hey that would make it a lot easier, but if I’m going to sit at this table the rest of my life am I gonna be happy knowing I coulda done more?

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of red oak but, then again, the table doesn't live in my house....lol. 

For a trestle table, I do like that there's some "change up" in the traditional design!

As for the tenons, since you don't have the domino, to them yourself and stretch yourself a bit!  That's what this is about!  As for pinning them, my preference is to pin them from the bottom so that you don't see them from the top but, that's really only a design question that only you and your wife can answer..

Looking forward to the build!

• Like 1

The last bread board end I did I didn’t pin it at all. What I did was do a tongue an groove joint but concaved the center about 1/16” glued the center 1/3 an clamped basically a spring joint. Last time I was a my dads it’s held up well. It was only about 18” wide not 40”. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Courtney did say that it makes her no difference if there are breadboard ends on it or not. My thoughts are hey that would make it a lot easier, but if I’m going to sit at this table the rest of my life am I gonna be happy knowing I coulda done more?

Wife tells my that all the time. I tend to always go over board. She could care less about dovetails or any of the other joinery that I take pride in as a builder. What I enjoy as I walk thru our home an see the pieces I’ve made I see those details an appreciate them. Even if she want everything painted?

I did a trestle dining table back in May of 2018.  I did faux breadboard ends in that they look like breadboard ends but they are the section you pull out to put in the other leafs.  I built it out of Red Oak also, we had found some chairs that we liked  and I built the table to match.  I did a journal of the build over on WTO.  I can probably put a link here, I think,  if you would like.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

11 minutes ago, Chet said:

I can probably put a link here, I think,  if you would like.

Chet I’m impressed. You and I are close to the same age, give or take a century or so and you have eons more computer skills than me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Tmize said:

Wife tells my that all the time. I tend to always go over board. She could care less about dovetails or any of the other joinery that I take pride in as a builder. What I enjoy as I walk thru our home an see the pieces I’ve made I see those details an appreciate them. Even if she want everything painted?

I think I have Courtney broke on the the every thing gets painted idea. Took years! 

10 hours ago, Chet said:

I did a trestle dining table back in May of 2018.  I did faux breadboard ends in that they look like breadboard ends but they are the section you pull out to put in the other leafs.  I built it out of Red Oak also, we had found some chairs that we liked  and I built the table to match.  I did a journal of the build over on WTO.  I can probably put a link here, I think,  if you would like.

Yes share the link! That idea of the extension crossed my mind.  Our dining room isn’t overly big. The magazine built theirs 80 inches long, I’m feeling more like 72-76 will fit better in our home. 

Did get the leg parts all milled up. Will have to go back and make a few new ones as I found a few cracks that I didn’t know were there. Hard to tell when the lumber hasn’t been skip planed. Thinking I might take the stack back out of the garage to a buddy’s planer. My little dewalt isn’t quite big enough for most of the boards. Wife has decided that she doesn’t want the look of breadboard ends, so the project got quite a bit easier. She did mention that she would like a bench for one side of it. 3B310C03-5DFE-460F-8AC4-3C9BEB8A7237.thumb.jpeg.528510e550d49da94188b4555fbcf36d.jpeg

2 hours ago, Jamie said:

I found a few cracks that I didn’t know were there

To big for epoxy?

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

5 hours ago, Chet said:

To big for epoxy?

They are mostly hairline cracks and checks that extend quite a ways through the piece. Thought about working some glue into them but would probably show up when staining. 

epoxy won't show with stain, you could even do it with CA glue unless you have a lot.

23 hours ago, Chet said:

epoxy won't show with stain, you could even do it with CA glue unless you have a lot.

They are pretty nasty cracks. I’ll try to get you a picture of them. 

Question for the group.....my Mortising machine is an old Craigslist find, the biggest bit I have that fits it is 1/2”. Was originally planing on the legs to do around a 3/4” mortise. Did a practice one the other night by using the drill press to hog out most of the material with a 3/4 bit and cleaned up the rest by hand. Wasn’t to hard to do but boy do my hands throb doing it. I have had carpal tunnel surgery done on both of my hands a little over a year ago and it seems to have flared it up again. So long story for a short question.....do you think the 1/2 tenon will be acceptable in the legs that are going to finish up around 1 3/4 inches?

4 minutes ago, Kev said:

For starters, the 1/2" is probably fine but, that's not what you want.

Why not do it with a router and an edge guide to get the mortise you want?

Thought about doing it with the router, don’t have the bit yet. It is ordered. I agree I’d like it to be 3/4. The table is going to have to hold up to some late night shaking from time to time. Well hopefully. 

The other thing to think about is that there will be a shoulder so, you'll never see the mortise.  It is important to get a decent fit for the glue bond but, you can get away with being a little sloppy here.

• Like 1