Title of the document

Router Bit Cabinet

Kev

Just now, Coop said:

Never seen that done. Document with pics if you will?

Yep, it will all be here for you to see as well as on video later this year..

In the end, it's shop furniture so, this is the place to experiment with stuff like this.

Just finished the edit to the current stage and there's just no way this will fit in one video!  I've got a mitered box prepped for a sliding DT and I'm at 11 minutes of finished video...lol..  I'll probably do the through dominos and then finish the cabinet in the second video..

Still lots to do!  Install the slides, build and install the pull out, build the door, build all the mounting blocks, organization, finish (new finish for me!), and install it.. 

Here's the exposed dominos that I just finished up this morning..  I'll flush trim and sand when the glue is cured up a bit..  For the record, these can be a PITA to make when you're using them for exposed joinery!  Took me longer to make the stock than it did to cut/install them..lol

IMG_0124.thumb.JPG.2e65812ba3b0034a21b1aaf267b4dc87.JPG

• Like 2

On 6/19/2021 at 1:53 PM, Kev said:

The grain match is great on 3 out of 4 sides.  

...and you call yourself a woodworker 🤣

On a more serious note the cabinet looks great!! I am going to make some changes to my router table (primarily replace the top and lift) but think I will add the inserts for the bits getting them out of the plywood has always been a bit of a pain

• Like 1

I don't often "prototype" things but, I thought that was the best option for the pull out on this cabinet..  I actually mocked up several different things today and I think I've landed on this.  Now, this is complete junk and will be scrapped for a much cleaner build but, I think I have a much better handle on where things need to be.  The only part of this that I may keep is the block for the inserts..  Seems the scrap I had was in African Mahogany so, it fits..  I'll do some clean up on it though..

The "paddle shelf" will also be cleaned up a great deal...lol

Edit:  I'm certainly open to other suggestions!

IMG_0126.thumb.JPG.47519db6406d1e12ae04d92a13bdb369.JPG

• Like 2

Marc just did a short “what is this” video on some unusual tools in his shop. What is the black handle looking thing next to your  router table inserts. If I didn’t know they were inserts, I’d say it was a tool to sling skeet targets. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Coop said:

Marc just did a short “what is this” video on some unusual tools in his shop. What is the black handle looking thing next to your  router table inserts. If I didn’t know they were inserts, I’d say it was a tool to sling skeet targets. 

That's the spanner wrench for installing the inserts..

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Coop said:

I need to get some good quality, 12-16” parallel clamps. My son gave me a hefty Rockler gift card for father’s day so those are my next purchase! 

I have 5ea 12" and 18" and often wish I had more!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Looks great! I’m blown away on the amount of detail and time you all spend on shop cabinets. I need to take notes 🙂

They're learning opportunities..  A place to try new things and techniques with no consequences for failure..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kev said:

I have 5ea 12" and 18" and often wish I had more!

All of mine are 24” or greater. I have 4 of the Jorgensen that I will never buy again and use as last resort, a dozen or so of the Jet which I really like and have never purchased or used the Bessey for no reason. I really like the release lever on the Jet. 

On 6/20/2021 at 8:13 AM, Kev said:

For the record, these can be a PITA to make when you're using them for exposed joinery!  Took me longer to make the stock than it did to cut/install them..lol

If you think this is something you might want to do in the future, Phillip Morley has a pretty good way of making floating tenon stock.  He shows it in his lounge chair guild build.  It is in the sixth video about 25:30 in.  It looks a little fussy the first time you see it but once you try it, it is actually a pretty quick operation.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

16 minutes ago, Chet said:

If you think this is something you might want to do in the future, Phillip Morley has a pretty good way of making floating tenon stock.  He shows it in his lounge chair guild build.  It is in the sixth video about 25:30 in.  It looks a little fussy the first time you see it but once you try it, it is actually a pretty quick operation.

I know I've seen that video but, I just didn't remember that being in there..  I may have to revisit that video..  

The way I did it worked fairly well.  Just took a bit of time to get things dialed in..

Edit:   @Chet I went and had a look and that's pretty much what I did to create the stock.  The difference is that what I did is exposed so, there's less room for error..

So I've had a setback but, was sitting on it hoping it would self correct today...lol

Seems UPS has misplaced the glides!  They were due in yesterday and the tracking now shows their apology and the hope they will be here tomorrow.

In the mean time, I ordered more glides and built another floating picture frame for a family member.  The frame isn't done yet but, it's getting close..  I'll post the "time filler" project here when it's done..

Pretty bummed!  Still no glides even though Amazon said they'd be delivered today..  I took a deeper dive into the tracking to see that they just left Utah this morning.  Looks like this project is on hold for a few more days.

45 minutes ago, Kev said:

Pretty bummed!  Still no glides even though Amazon said they'd be delivered today..  I took a deeper dive into the tracking to see that they just left Utah this morning.  Looks like this project is on hold for a few more days.

Just an update..  Amazon wouldn't expedite a new order which I found pretty pathetic since this was no fault of mine.

I've ordered 2 more sets from different vendors and will finish up the build when the first set arrives.