Title of the document

Router Bit Cabinet

Kev

46 minutes ago, Kev said:

Which brings up my next question for the group....

I'm going with a different finish on this one..  Choices are Osmo or Rubio...  Any input?

I have switched to Osmo as my finish of choice.  I really like how it adds "depth" to the wood and the ease of application.  I haven't used Rubio.

3 minutes ago, Bob said:

I have switched to Osmo as my finish of choice.  I really like how it adds "depth" to the wood and the ease of application.  I haven't used Rubio.

So, does that make one vote for Rubio?

Also, since both of these are new to me, I'll take any/all application advice!

I’m curious on the durability of both. Since they don’t really build up my worries with them on say a coffee table is the long term. Also if used in a situation like that where a water ring can easily happen how hard are they to refinish?

4 minutes ago, Jamie said:

I’m curious on the durability of both. Since they don’t really build up my worries with them on say a coffee table is the long term. Also if used in a situation like that where a water ring can easily happen how hard are they to refinish?

From my understanding, the Rubio is a bit more protective.  Regardless, they're both a wax/oil finish so, it's a bit less about the protection and more about the ease of refinishing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kev said:

So, does that make one vote for Rubio?

Also, since both of these are new to me, I'll take any/all application advice!

Sure go with Rubio.  I won't be switching because it is a 2 part mix and I am lazy when it comes to finishing, sometimes.  

As far as durability goes, Osmo is a floor finish and in my usage so far very durable.  I have used it on shelving, outdoor tables, and furniture and it has held up nicely.  I haven't had to repair anything yet, but my understanding since it is a hard wax finish it is very easy to repair.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bob said:

Sure go with Rubio.  I won't be switching because it is a 2 part mix and I am lazy when it comes to finishing, sometimes.  

As far as durability goes, Osmo is a floor finish and in my usage so far very durable.  I have used it on shelving, outdoor tables, and furniture and it has held up nicely.  I haven't had to repair anything yet, but my understanding since it is a hard wax finish it is very easy to repair.

I think they both come from the flooring industry???  Please correct me if I'm wrong..

6 minutes ago, Kev said:

I think they both come from the flooring industry???  Please correct me if I'm wrong..

Had to look it up, you are correct. Rubio.   I did see that once mixed Rubio is kind of limiting.  Once mixed the usable time is 6 hours, but the cure time is 36 hours.  It would suck if you had to add a 2nd coat.

7 minutes ago, Bob said:

Had to look it up, you are correct. Rubio.   I did see that once mixed Rubio is kind of limiting.  Once mixed the usable time is 6 hours, but the cure time is 36 hours.  It would suck if you had to add a 2nd coat.

Agreed..  Although, it's called "Rubio Monocoat" which tells me it only needs one....lol

I’ve never used either and like @Bob, I probably wouldn’t use Rubio if it requires a 2 part mix so would rather see the Osmo as a potential for future use. 

I think I missed the part as where the glides will be used? Under mount or side mount? 

1 minute ago, Coop said:

I’ve never used either and like @Bob, I probably wouldn’t use Rubio if it requires a 2 part mix so would rather see the Osmo as a potential for future use. 

I think I missed the part as where the glides will be used? Under mount or side mount? 

I'll have both finishes on hand.  Have never used either one.  They're both relatively expensive.  

This is a vertical pull out so, side glides for this one..

In addition to the finish question, this extra time waiting for glides has also caused me to be thinking a bit more about the actual bit storage blocks..

Initially, I was just going to build blocks like I did before and glue/screw them to the back panel.  But....  My case is a bit deeper than the old case and I can actually get more than one row on each block.  This has me concerned about just glue/screws in the back to support the blocks.

In hindsight, some more sliding DTs on the blocks would have been pretty cool but I'm beyond the stage to make that happen because the case is assembled.

So..  Looking for some ideas as I think this through....lol. Of course everything I found on YT was similar in depth to my old case and not the new one..

EDIT:  Currently, I'm leaning towards one larger "shelf" in the bottom for the larger panel bits and overflow and then a series of smaller bit shelves moving up the cabinet.

17 hours ago, Kev said:

I've ordered 2 more sets from different vendors and will finish up the build when the first set arrives.

I don't know if Lee Valley carries them but just for future reference that have a location in Reno now.  Last few things I have ordered from them I have received in a day or so.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

2 hours ago, Kev said:

This has me concerned about just glue/screws in the back to support the blocks.

How about doweling from the side of the cabinet into each block.  With the thickness of you case and if you went 1/2" or even an inch in to the block I think things would be well supported.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

5 minutes ago, Chet said:

I don't know if Lee Valley carries them but just for future reference that have a location in Reno now.  Last few things I have ordered from them I have received in a day or so.

The issue is that they're shorter than usual..  10" and up is pretty easy to find but, 8" starts getting tricky and 6" is darn near impossible to find.  LV doesn't carry any short glides.

2 minutes ago, Chet said:

How about doweling from the side of the cabinet into each block.  With the thickness of you case and if you went 1/2" or even an inch in to the block I think things would be well supported.

I could do this if the case wasn't glued up already.  I might have gotten away with it if I'd of done a dado for the divider instead of a sliding DT but, even that would have been a chore!

I've also considered some thin "rails" glued to the case to support the larger shelves.  I fell away from this idea when I realized that I wouldn't get as many rows in because of needing room to lift them out.  I need to do some math to see if 1/2 as many blocks with a lot more storage nets me more bit storage than twice as many blocks with less storage.  lol..  I hope this makes sense??

Again, for reference, the original cabinet..

IMG_0112.thumb.JPG.dbc8231e7f7ffdc5ac5d8c1537f1d243.JPG

These don't interfere with the block above but, if all those blocks were much deeper, they just might.

How about some for of a french cleat system?  That would certainly provide strength. 

43 minutes ago, Chet said:

How about some for of a french cleat system?  That would certainly provide strength. 

Considered this as well..  It would certainly work but, unless I glued them down, I could potentially lift the shelf when removing a bit or need 2 hands to prevent that from happening.

Keep the ideas coming!  I've been racking my brain since 5am this morning when this "issue" in my brain refused to let me sleep 😉

Well, some glides showed up today!  I got the pull out mounted and had to make a decision on the bit blocks..

I got the bottom one in which I wanted to hold all the raised panel bits.  It's at a bit of a flatter angle that the others will be and the others will be much smaller.  Hoping to have one or 2 in tonight but, we'll see..IMG_1326.thumb.jpeg.bad924cdf1dad6b0ec8fee78147fa2ce.jpeg

For the record, this cleared up some room in a drawer which is always welcome!

• Like 1

Got the second block in and that's a wrap for tonight..  More blocks tomorrow..  The upper block is only set in for reference..

IMG_1327.thumb.jpeg.39fd0888424fba48fdf17b8f07fe8f6a.jpeg

EDIT:  Just noticed the glue squeeze out in the picture...lol. That should be fun in the morning!

13 minutes ago, Coop said:

Is the very bottom block removable?

With the subsequent blocks so far back into the cabinet, will it be difficult to identify some of the bits? 

None of the blocks will be removable.  There will be a temporary exception..  Because this cabinet has a lot more room than the old one, there's room for growth.  The upper blocks won't be drilled or glued in until they're needed.

No issues identifying the bits.  There's only a few in the cabinet that see little to no use so, you just get used to spotting what you need right away.

Keep in mind that total depth of this cabinet is only 8 inches so, it's really not that deep.

3 minutes ago, Coop said:

Ok. It just looks like the back panel bits on the back of the bottom row would not clear the block above them. I’m sure you took that into consideration. 

No, they clear without issue..  I raised that block up to ensure they'd be easily removable.  The remaining blocks will sit directly on top of each other.

10 minutes ago, Coop said:

Ok. It just looks like the back panel bits on the back of the bottom row would not clear the block above them. I’m sure you took that into consideration. 

I snagged a couple additional pics which hopefully show more..

IMG_1328.thumb.jpeg.f6c5f2164896415d4f3817d583e9da23.jpeg

IMG_1330.thumb.jpeg.e3a6941776a00fd06034125e93d0b61f.jpeg