Title of the document

Router Bit Cabinet

Kev

Apologies up front for a long post!

I'm going to start this one with the current cabinet and what I do and don't like..

This cabinet was built about 3 years ago and has served me well!

IMG_0110.thumb.JPG.08774ba85fe6c68ecc4ce78d2fe2e59a.JPG

The construction is hand cut DTs.  Hard to go wrong with DTs but, shop furniture is a great place to try different things!  I think the new one will be mitered (grain matched) corners reinforced with custom dominos instead of dowels.  

IMG_0111.thumb.JPG.db8bbfbd21d9fd1c2727cdcfcea5d4ef.JPG

The Rockler inserts are awesome and I really like them!  The issue with this cabinet is that they were an afterthought and it shows every time I open the door!  A mistake I won't make again!  Inserts for the new cabinet should arrive any day now.  Additionally, I have some large panel bits that I'm still considering putting in the cabinet.  I don't use them often, they take up a lot of space, and their current storage option works well.  And, of course, I'm pretty much out of room in this cabinet.

IMG_0112.thumb.JPG.8ef67a4e6e4a043f38d37145aa33e954.JPG

The drawer in the current cabinet looks cool but, is just about useless!  I store the wrenches and pivot pins in there and that's it.  This means that I have to open a door and then a drawer to get to those things.  It's also not big enough to store the table insert tool.  And, to top it off, I didn't install a stop on it so I've dropped it on the floor more than once!  New storage for this stuff in store for the new one and no drawer!

IMG_0113.thumb.JPG.968cb0bdbc57279adbbbaaaa9d76f74a.JPG

One of the cool parts of the drawer was the sliding DT which really helped keep the sides of the cabinet together.  The new cabinet won't have this so, I'll really be relying on those dominos to perform this function for me.

IMG_0115.thumb.JPG.12ef94e8596e8f29cf6e68f1b8c86cd0.JPG

More on storage!  Items stored on top of the cabinet that probably need a better storage option?  Frankly, I like this stuff here so, may just try to find a solution that keeps this stuff easily accessible while looking like it was meant to be that way instead of a location of convenience. 

IMG_0117.thumb.JPG.cffd956da24d796de780b9f78b8ca438.JPG

And to wrap this post up, what's going to happen to the current cabinet?  The current cabinet is hung at my router table and is only used for 1/2" shanked bits.  I still have a large collection of 1/4" shanked bits and have never been a fan of their home either!  Fortunately, the Rockler inserts handle both shank sizes so, this will become the storage option for those bits..  Although, I may have to thin the collection a bit but, there's quite a few in there that I just don't use and I can use the drawer to toss those in..

IMG_0118.thumb.JPG.6111320b5d0bc84fab8e382e8cffe659.JPG

So, here's a few known items for the new cabinet..

• All material will be shop scrap - Walnut case with African Mahogany accents
  • Will be testing Osmo for the finish.
  • Larger - The on hand plexiglass may drive the final size - Ultimately, I want room for growth and will buy more Plexiglass if needed.
  • Better storage solutions for the wrenches, pivot pins, insert tool, as well as the drivers that fit the table
  • Mitered corners with through dominos for reinforcement
  • Better fitting plexiglass in that doesn't rattle in the door frame 
  • Possibly - A vertical domino in the door frame
  • 1/2" African Mahogany back panel
  • African Mahogany mounting blocks
  • Walnut box grain matched - Overkill but, it looks nice..lol

Again, sorry for a longer post than the entire project should take...lol. Looking forward to everyone's input!

• Like 1

Just now, Jamie said:

Does your current router table have a cabinet under it?  Might be an option to use some space up.

No.  Although I may box it in for better dust collection, I really don't like the storage options down there.  I really like things at eye level and easily accessible.  Plus I have the wall space there.

2 minutes ago, Kev said:

No.  Although I may box it in for better dust collection, I really don't like the storage options down there.  I really like things at eye level and easily accessible.  Plus I have the wall space there.

Yeah I understand the eye level thing.  As I get older and the belly grows its not as fun digging around at ground level.  🙂 Are you thinking a deeper drawer to hold the wrenches and other items or going to hang them somehow?

2 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Yeah I understand the eye level thing.  As I get older and the belly grows its not as fun digging around at ground level.  🙂 Are you thinking a deeper drawer to hold the wrenches and other items or going to hang them somehow?

No, I'm going to do away with the drawer completely.  I will find other storage solutions for the minimal things I keep in that drawer.

2 minutes ago, Kev said:

No, I'm going to do away with the drawer completely.  I will find other storage solutions for the minimal things I keep in that drawer.

Gotcha, not sure how set you are on the plexi glass, if you did a solid panel door could hang things on the inside of it.  Just throwing ideas at ya not trying to over analyze it.

4 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Gotcha, not sure how set you are on the plexi glass, if you did a solid panel door could hang things on the inside of it.  Just throwing ideas at ya not trying to over analyze it.

All good, I appreciate having to think through my plans!

I like the plexiglass door to see without opening the door..  It's not a requirement but, I also have the Plexiglass on hand..

44 minutes ago, Kev said:

All good, I appreciate having to think through my plans!

I like the plexiglass door to see without opening the door..  It's not a requirement but, I also have the Plexiglass on hand..

It always makes a difference if you dont have to spend money on a shop project.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

What about a slide out vertical tray for the wrenches and inserts, obviously this may change the width.

Interesting option I hadn't thought about!  Doing some research though and I can't seem to find glides short enough to pull off.   The case depth will only be about 6.5 to 7 inches.  I'll be doing a little more research on this option as I like the concept!

Well, thanks to Bryan, I had to start doing some math and thinking (as well as a rough Sketchup) this one through more thoroughly and it grew more than I thought it was going to!

Not sure I have the Walnut on hand to pull it all off, I'll have to look.

Render w V Storage.jpg

3 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Sliding DT would probably look better, but a dado is easier or you could do a through domino butt joint.  As for length since the depth is only 6” I would do the whole thing.

Depth is going to be 8" to help out with the glides I could get..

I've done both forms for adding this divider so, could go either way.  I'd like to avoid the domino since I'm going to do that in the corners and you're not going to see them anyway.  The sliding DT is always an awesome joint so, no issues going there..

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Your right about the domino not being seen.  Is there another type of joinery you have never done before that would be seen, like a lock miter or something?

I'm sure there's a few I've never done but, not too many that jump to mind in this situation..  

Made some good progress today so far!  I got the case all glued up and the sliding DT cut.  All the miters cut on the small box sled using the TS fence as a stop block.

IMG_0119.thumb.JPG.f1df035fc1f11ff3379549ba354c3f48.JPG

The grain match is great on 3 out of 4 sides.  The 4th side was one end of the board to the other.  I did try to plan it so that it wasn't horribly noticeable so, it is what it is..  You're probably never going to see it anyway..

IMG_0120.thumb.JPG.114f8224c4ee0341706ca33ce1c29fb4.JPG

• Like 1

All wrapped up for the day..  Slow going when you're waiting for glue to dry..

I like the contrast between the African Mahogany and the Walnut..  Will be interesting to see what that looks like over time.

IMG_0121.thumb.JPG.191dee56f47461a02a9b170930f818dc.JPG

Here's the grain match with just a light sanding to remove the reference marks..  Pretty happy with the sled performance and the fit right off of the saw!

IMG_0122.thumb.JPG.70089e0144d8cf0bfb23402c5674cdd4.JPG

• Like 3

Too late to the party to be of any guidance and it doesn’t look like any was needed, so I’ll be nosy. Your third pic, fourth row down, the two bits on the left side with guide bearings, are those spiral flush trim bits? 

7 minutes ago, Coop said:

Too late to the party to be of any guidance and it doesn’t look like any was needed, so I’ll be nosy. Your third pic, fourth row down, the two bits on the left side with guide bearings, are those spiral flush trim bits? 

Those are (I think) called "Compression Bits".  They're Whiteside flush trim bits but, flutes are shaped a bit differently..  I'll go grab a close up shot for you in a few minutes..

Just now, Coop said:

With bearings on top and bottom, sweet! 

In your first few sentences, you mentioned mitered joints with custom dominos? Then you mentioned through dominos. Care to elaborate.

With everything glued up now, I'm going to come back and shoot dominos to reinforce the mitered joints.  I'll custom make the dominos from some African Mahogany since that's the accent wood on this piece.