Title of the document

Router Bit Cabinet

Kev

10 minutes ago, Coop said:

I remember now that you said the bottom shelf was at an angle but not as great as the others. 

It's actually the same angle.  Just the shorter blocks make it look like a different angle..

3 hours ago, Kev said:

I got the bottom one in which I wanted to hold all the raised panel bits.  It's at a bit of a flatter angle that the others will be and the others will be much smaller.

Just going by what you said. 

Just now, Coop said:

Just going by what you said. 

The surface is flatter on the bottom block and that's where the bits are installed.  On the smaller blocks, they're actually installed on the front face..  That's why they are at different angles.  However, the blocks are all cut with the same angle.

• Thanks 1

Pictures coming sometime today...lol

Had a good morning!  Finished all the blocks and got the door glued up! 

Normally, on a door, I just simply spline the miters and be done.  But, in this case, I used the through dominos on the case to reinforce the miters.  The only way I could pull that off on the doors would be to turn them vertical and I'm not sure that would look good either...lol

I know, it's just a design element and there's really no "wrong" answer..  Just trying to think outside the box and try new things..

14 hours ago, Kev said:

EDIT:  Just noticed the glue squeeze out in the picture...lol. That should be fun in the morning!

Small chisel and patience.

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

4 hours ago, Kev said:

Pictures coming sometime today...lol

Had a good morning!  Finished all the blocks and got the door glued up! 

Normally, on a door, I just simply spline the miters and be done.  But, in this case, I used the through dominos on the case to reinforce the miters.  The only way I could pull that off on the doors would be to turn them vertical and I'm not sure that would look good either...lol

I know, it's just a design element and there's really no "wrong" answer..  Just trying to think outside the box and try new things..

I think I have this figured out!  Some hand cut dowels in AM should do the trick!

Pictures of the door coming soon..  In the meantime, here's the blocks all finished up.  The top block is not glued in and is left blank to be configured based of future bits that I may acquire.

IMG_1331_HEIC.thumb.jpeg.fbad8d8dfb85b49d70034014a8b064e9.jpeg

I went with the dowels on the door and the hinges are next..  Seems the only appropriately sized hinges I had on hand were Brusso and I just couldn't bring myself to waste them on this project so, I picked up some different hinges this morning...lol

I also have the pull out front rough cut to size and the hardware picked out.  The hardware was a sample set that I picked up long ago for a client bathroom vanity build.  Not what I'd select for in my house but, they'll work just fine on some shop furniture...

As for finish, I'm leaning to the Rubio..  If the group wants Osmo, speak now or wait for the next piece of shop furniture to see the Osmo...lol

Edit: Might be a wrap for tonight..  Going to dinner with my wife..  We'll see..

• Like 3

Apologies for the crappy picture as well as lack of detail..  I just ran out to the shop to get this picture...lol

Door is on and the closure magnets are curing..  I used 1/2" hand cut dowels to reinforce the corners..  I'm playing golf tomorrow so, not sure if I'll get to the pull out front and the finish but, I'm sure it will be done by the end of the weekend..

IMG_1332.thumb.jpeg.3e0b18a9964b1a1d3faecce45e78617f.jpeg

• Like 2

I actually headed to the shop before leaving for the golf course this morning because this project is getting close!

I originally mounted the pullout handle in the bottom and was not happy with it there.  Due to the slop in the short glides, that handle location just didn't work for a smooth function of the pull out.  So, I filled those holes with darkened epoxy and relocated the pull to be vertical and center.

IMG_0131.thumb.JPG.b8609313c5c3003134deb6ed78b06677.JPG

IMG_0130.thumb.JPG.c6b06d586771f2746acb0599c32d16c2.JPG

Now I'll pull it all apart, sand, and apply some finish..

• Like 4

Those two big purple raised panel bits you have on the bottom, what brand are those and did you like them?  I may have to look into something like that for our Master Bed.  I kind of hate to invest in something that I will probably only use on six panels.  But I was thinking I would do my work and then sell the bit. 

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

1 hour ago, Chet said:

Those two big purple raised panel bits you have on the bottom, what brand are those and did you like them?  I may have to look into something like that for our Master Bed.  I kind of hate to invest in something that I will probably only use on six panels.  But I was thinking I would do my work and then sell the bit. 

@ChetThey're both Grizzly and they're worked well each time I've used them.  The funny part is that I got one for free from someplace (I don't recall) and they're both the same profile.  I'd be happy to ship you a set for free if you cover the shipping.  I even have the original box and will ship you the one I haven't used...lol

Initial thoughts on Rubio..

• When they say a little goes a long way, they weren't kidding!
    • I mixed 3 Tbsp  Rubio with 1 Tbsp of hardener and probably had 1/3 left.
    • Glad I didn't buy a big can!  Most of the smallest can is still left!
  • Color pop is about the same on dark wood as ARS
  • Easy to apply - I used a white schotchbrite pad and hand applied
  • I should have worn gloves.  No irritation or anything like that, just a bit messy on the hands
  • No VOCs so, no issues with the odor!

So, now it sits and we'll see how the cure goes..  I'll leave it for the night and try to hang it in the morning.

Pictures shortly..

What did you use to clean your hands?

1 hour ago, Kev said:

I'd be happy to ship you a set for free if you cover the shipping.

Sounds good.  PM me the shipping cost.

8 minutes ago, Chet said:

What did you use to clean your hands?

Sounds good.  PM me the shipping cost.

Soap and water for the hands...lol

I'll ship early this next week..  Got to have the spaces filled for my wrap up shots 😉

Also, I seem to have misplaced your address..  Pm it to me please..

1 minute ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

So the big question will be if on darker woods looks the same as ARS, would you make the switch if cost was equal?

In reality, the cost is pretty equal because of the amount of Rubio needed.

I need to see how the Rubio holds up.  I really need to put it on a project that get's put through some use/abuse like a table lazy Susan to see how it compares.

As of right now, if I had a project that wasn't going to get much abuse, I would be very tempted to use Rubio.  If I were building a project that I know was going to see some abuse, I'd stick with the ARS and WB because it's proven for me.

Now, the other side of that coin is that the Rubio is going to be much easier to repair....  I think....  I've never had to repair a project I sent out with ARS and WB...

It is a dilema!

It was dry enough to the touch tonight to mount to the wall and snag a couple pictures..  I'm leaving the door and pull out open for the night to cure up completely but, thought I'd toss those pictures in here for you guys..

IMG_0132.thumb.JPG.95d2efb34097c560802678772816ae69.JPG

IMG_0133.thumb.JPG.de56067c986d52d872479a91194b6d8d.JPG

• Like 5

Now that’s darn cool!

what is the proposed advantage of the Rubio over other finishes? I would have thought maybe as it is a two part, that the finish would be harder and more durable but you’re thinking otherwise? 

11 minutes ago, Coop said:

Now that’s darn cool!

what is the proposed advantage of the Rubio over other finishes? I would have thought maybe as it is a two part, that the finish would be harder and more durable but you’re thinking otherwise? 

The only advantages are easier/quicker to apply, no VOCs, and easier to repair.  

Don't let the 2 part mix requirement set you back..  I had to pick up a set of measuring spoons from Walmart to pull it off..  It's just not rocket science...  Simple 3 to 1 mix.  And, if you don't want the hardener, it just takes longer to cure.

Just now, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Are you completely satisfied with the new design? 

Yes/no..

I have a couple "hindsight" things that I would change if I were starting over.

• I would have made it 1/2" deeper to accept 8" glides - I was actually only about 1/4" shy of being able to use them.
  • I would have found a higher quality glides - which I can still do, there just doesn't seem to be many options
  • I would have positioned the pull handle in the middle from the get go - Those 2 repair marks in the bottom bug me...lol
  • I may have selected a different secondary species.  I'm not a big fan of how the Walnut and AM are working together.  But, the lumber was all material on hand so, I can't complain too much.

I think that's about it..  But, I also haven't worked through a project with it in the shop either so, there might be more..  We'll see.

It was a good learning project on some shop furniture!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...