Title of the document

Master Bedroom Dresser

Kev

5 minutes ago, Chet said:

I have been doing this a few time.  Glue up your legs then glue a thin, 1/8 or less veneer to the glue line side.  Then chamfer the veneer ever so slightly and I defy any one other then you can tell.  It looks great.

Those top drawers are going to look cool.  Nice touch.

Thanks!  I've got the glue ups in clamps now.  I was able to pull each leg from the same board as well as the same section of the board so that should help!  If they don't come out well enough, I will definitely keep this little gem in mind!  Might be good for the video as well!

I do have one leg where the color is just completely off!  My first inclination was to replace it but, I can't get more material until next week.  For now, I'm moving forward with it knowing it will never be seen in the back right corner..

1 minute ago, Kev said:

Might be good for the video as well!

It would be a great addition to a video because it is a seldom used technique.  But it is a good one when you are working with a tight lumber budget.  No way could I have afforded 16/4 sepele to get 4 inch square legs.  You could even get 2 1/2 to 3 inch legs from 4/4 stock just by doing a 3 or 4 layer lamination and then hiding the glue lines with the veneer.

It does have its limits though. it won't work if you are curving or tapering that face of the leg.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

9 minutes ago, Chet said:

It does have its limits though. it won't work if you are curving or tapering that face of the leg.

There will be a small taper on the foot but, it's on the opposite face and I'm ok with a glue seam showing on 4" at the floor on the inside..

All good, it is a great idea!  I'll be in the process of assessing the legs this weekend and making my decisions on the legs..  

Being a dresser that's essentially stuffed in a corner, I can get away with a little bit on hidden parts!

The legs will be a bit smaller than I originally planned so, I'll have to go back and adjust the feet on that bottom rail.  On that note, I'm not a fan of the color match on that front rail so, may be redoing it all together!  Not really a wasted part though as I can use the original on the back.  It's just a little overbuilt for a hidden part..

• 2 weeks later...

Back to this project today!

While in Oregon seeing my brother, I popped into Crosscut Hardwoods out of curiosity and was able to put my hands (and credit card) on some 16/4 African Mahogany!  This was important since I wasn't happy with how some of the legs turned out!

So, today, I milled up 2 new front legs out of that 16/4 and used @Chet's suggestion of veneering the one face of one of the back legs that will be seen.  I also wasn't happy with the color match on the front lower rail with the legs so, I redid that front lower rail and roughed out all the other rails for the carcass.  Will cut some curves in those rails tomorrow and go for a dry fit of the carcass itself.

IMG_0943.thumb.jpeg.65976a29c7463af76288b995b2db866b.jpeg

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Impressive logs those planks had to came out of! I hate to even ask, but my curiosity is getting the best of me. What does 16/4 run if you don’t mind sharing? 

I don't mind sharing at all..  Keep in mind that this wasn't my local HW dealer as I was in Oregon.  Admittedly, I was very impressed with their prices to start with and they gave me a 10% discount on top of that!

16/4 African Mahogany (Khaya) was $7.96 per BF my price

4/4 Bubinga (which I also bought) was $12.50 per BF my price.

• Like 1

Long day in the shop but, it was productive!  Got all the curves cut for the side rails and the top front rail.  I also got the groves cut in the back and side rails to accept the panels.  And finally, I got the dominos cut and got the first dry fit!  The bottom rails do sit flat on the floor, I just didn't tap them down before the picture.  It's a BEAST!

IMG_0944.thumb.jpeg.047cbc76b9b4ff0b8a733590007d162c.jpeg

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Tmize said:

That thing sure is a beast. It going to take the tractor to get it out of the shop. An I thought my roubo was heavy. 

Yea, we talked about that today...lol. I do have forks for the tractor but, we still have to move it into the house..  

20 minutes ago, Kev said:

Yea, we talked about that today...lol. I do have forks for the tractor but, we still have to move it into the house..  

after moving all those rocks this will be a piece of cake!

1 minute ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

That is a 2 case of beer and 3 friend moving job. 

Beer always seems to get the help to show up!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Beer always seems to get the help to show up!

That's actually how I got the first shop in WA built...lol. I spent a lot on beer and pizza to recruit help but, I build a 30 x 50 for 6k not including the inside..

12 minutes ago, Kev said:

That's actually how I got the first shop in WA built...lol. I spent a lot on beer and pizza to recruit help but, I build a 30 x 50 for 6k not including the inside..

Heck that’s less than your garden shed! You are lucky to have friends who are smart enough to know what they are doing to help ya out but not smart enough to know how to price their labor. ???

I think I’d fall into the second part of that statement as well, beer always gets me motivated. Especially free beer!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Heck that’s less than your garden shed! You are lucky to have friends who are smart enough to know what they are doing to help ya out but not smart enough to know how to price their labor. ???

I think I’d fall into the second part of that statement as well, beer always gets me motivated. Especially free beer!

I built that one as a recording studio and it took me 2 years by the time I finally had the inside done.. 

I also spend a good share of my time helping those that I call on when I need help!  It's a 2 way street.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Coop said:

Kev, how did you cut the groove in the bottom back rail? 

All the grooves (so far) have been cut with the dado stack.  There's no curve on that rail so, no issues there like there were on the side rails.

On the side rails where there was a groove and a curve, I cut the groove first to be 1/4" deeper than the apex of the curve.  Then I came back and cut the curve.  This allows for a square panel to fit in place with the appearance of a curved top.

I hope that really answers your ultimate question..  If I missed the mark, let me know.