Title of the document

Master Bedroom Dresser

Kev

Completely clear. Assuming that the top rails have a curve as well, not seen in the pics, I would have asked you how you did them. Would never have thought to do that. In fact, I thought about doing a curve on the inside rails of the makeup vanity I’m Working on but didn’t as I didn’t know how. Next time I will reach out. Thanks bud! 

31 minutes ago, Coop said:

Completely clear. Assuming that the top rails have a curve as well, not seen in the pics, I would have asked you how you did them. Would never have thought to do that. In fact, I thought about doing a curve on the inside rails of the makeup vanity I’m Working on but didn’t as I didn’t know how. Next time I will reach out. Thanks bud! 

Yep..  Cut the groove first 1/4" deeper than the apex of the curve..

14 minutes ago, Coop said:

And do you continue the continuity with the panel or is it left as a void, filled with glue?

There is no void..  The panel is cut square so, fills the entire groove.  It's just that the groove is deeper at the corners than it is at the apex..

I'll work on a little drawing and see if I can demo for you..

731340007_EndRail.thumb.jpg.75a21492b598160be6b2dd4dcf846f9f.jpg

Sketchup is being a pain in the butt tonight but, this should show you what I'm talking about..

I first cut that dado to 1 1/4" deep.  Then, I set the center of the arch at 1" and cut the arch at the bandsaw.  So, the panel is cut square but, the rail covers more of that panel out towards the corners than it does in the middle.

• Like 2

Hoping for a big day in the shop today!  I'm dropping my goals here to help keep me on task!  I'll post pictures and see how I did at the end of the day... lol

1.  Start 3rd video in series

2.  Build the back vertical members with dados for the back panels.  Layout for the dominos. before taking apart.

3.  Edge trim all the front faces of the web frames - After cutting all the web frame parts - 5 web frames

4.  Build the DT's cross members for the top supports - These go where the vertical dividers go

5.  Layout on the legs the locations for all the web frames as well as the panel grooves before taking apart

6.  Relabel all the parts when taking apart.

That should be a pretty full day!  Hope there aren't too many interruptions!

• Like 2

Well, I didn't get it pulled apart and labeled but, that's actually pretty minor.  I'll pull it apart tomorrow and go after grooving the legs for the panels.

Here's the top DTs in..

IMG_0945.thumb.jpeg.adf2b25acd14cc6f2a40ab00058ba4b9.jpeg

And here's all the strips glued onto the fronts of the web frames

IMG_0948.thumb.jpeg.6c7b7fd312ab1f8c4e72b365d1afb71f.jpeg 

It's hard to see but, I have all the grooves and web frame locations laid out as well.

• Like 4

Not much work accomplished today..  Just had to much other stuff on my plate today with winter coming..

I did get the lower rails adjusted to where they're supposed to be.  The front one has a little bow in it which is why the feet aren't sitting on the floor.  The lightest amount of pressure sets them on the floor so, pretty sure this will be self correcting!

The back supports are set in and the domino locations marked.

Next up;

• Disassemble and label all the parts so that I can sand.
  • Cut the grooves in the legs to accept the panels
  • Domino the back dividers
  • Cut the stopped dados in the legs for the web frames - Also the back dividers
  • Taper the bottoms of the legs
  • Dry fit again and measure for the panels and the web frames
  • Glue up the back panel
  • Build the web frames

IMG_0949.thumb.jpeg.9bb7db2a6e87d5caec16cb832279c503.jpeg

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Coop said:

This is going to be one complicated mother. Don’t know how far we go back but could very well be your biggest challenge ever. Buenos suerte! 

Thanks bud..  I can think of a couple more challenging but, not really bigger..  This one is a massive piece and I'm still working through the glue ups in my head to stack things in my favor!  

Initially, I was going to do the 2 end panels first and then go got the big glue up but, my thinking is changing.  Those 2 end panels are fairly simple so, I'm leaning towards doing the back panel glue up first and then incorporating the side panel glue ups with the rest of the carcass glue up.  With the web frames in place, I can use them to suck in the side panels which will eliminate the need for the long clamps that I don't have.  

Regardless, it's one of those glue ups that we don't do that often and typically loose sleep over figuring out how we're going to do it...lol

8 hours ago, Coop said:

I’m contemplating the same on my much simpler vanity build. Thinking that the end panels , left to right would be the way to go. Now I’m thinking front to back. Gotta put a bunch a fore thought into this one. 

Exactly!

1 hour ago, Jamie said:

Titebond extend boys. 

Will probably be epoxy.

Not too much done today unfortunately..  Getting ready for winter at the house..

I did manage to get the following knocked off the list though!

• Disassemble and label all the parts so that I can sand
  • Cut the grooves in the legs to accept the panels
  • Domino the back dividers
  • Built most of the jig to cut the stopped dados in the legs for the web frames - Waiting for glue to dry..

Dual edge guide as usual!

IMG_0951.thumb.jpeg.23f4dd176da467d14128b6a9c141087c.jpeg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jamie said:

How long of a dry time do you get with the epoxy?

You ask about "dry" time but, I think you're asking about open time?

Open (working) time is usually about 25 to 30 minutes or so..  I can get up to around 40 minutes using the slow setting hardener.  On a piece this size, I'm still moving pretty good!

As for cure time, I usually just leave things clamped up over night.

5 minutes ago, Kev said:

You ask about "dry" time but, I think you're asking about open time?

Open (working) time is usually about 25 to 30 minutes or so..  I can get up to around 40 minutes using the slow setting hardener.  On a piece this size, I'm still moving pretty good!

As for cure time, I usually just leave things clamped up over night.

Actually was curious on both. Thanks for the answer. 

Do you use the same west systems that you use for filling knots and such?

1 minute ago, Jamie said:

Do you use the same west systems that you use for filling knots and such?

Yep..  The only difference is that I often add a couple drops of transtint dye if I'm filling knots..  My preference is a dark brown or black for knot filling.

8 minutes ago, Jamie said:

With the epoxy how do you deal with squeeze out? 

Depends on the situation..  In the corners, I try to leave about the last 1/8" dry to fill with squeeze out.  Regardless, I always get some.  I usually use a card scraper and sanding to take care of it.  The cool part about epoxy is that it takes finish without looking like it does when you miss a spot with glue.

• Like 1

Had a great morning in the shop!  Unfortunately, I'm stuck now until I get some extra hands because this thing is just so big!

Got all the notches for the web frames cut and the corners squared with chisels.  I also got all the feet tapered and cleaned up with a smoothing plane..  Just waiting for my wife to come home on her lunch break so that I can dry fit this again to measure for the back panels and the web frames!

IMG_0952.thumb.jpeg.24fde89e6e28fd419f693bb7631b64a6.jpeg

• Like 3

Update..  There's good news and bad news...lol

Good news, here's the dry fit and I got all the measurements I needed to start making the web frames..

IMG_0953.thumb.jpeg.5f14e3e7417587e5c8b3a9da3f21fbe0.jpeg

The bad news is that one of my web frame notches is off.  When I slid my jig down to do the next one, I grabbed an edge line instead of a center line.  Obviously, I didn't notice it at the time.  So, currently, I have some blocks glued into those notches.  I'll clean them up when the glue dries and re-route the notches.

This is one of the reasons I don't break down routers and equipment until I'm completely satisfied that I won't need that set up again..

A minor set back but, I'll be back on track in a few hours..

In the mean time...  I'm going to run a test board with some new finish.  I'm making a sample board for my wife so that she can decide which finish she wants.  I'm sure she'll want the one that's a lot more work ?. More details on this new finish later when I finish the sample board..