Title of the document

Master Bedroom Dresser

Kev

Final update for tonight..

I got the notch fixed and re-routed..  I didn't do any grain matching or anything as it's in a hidden area and you'll never see it.

I also got 2 of the web frames glued up but, all of the parts cut..

IMG_0955.thumb.jpeg.82bd6884e1e63c3e1242b9c981c685ff.jpeg

And, as I stated earlier, I got a test finish board completed.  I was hesitant to show my wife this as I thought she'd pick the one that took the most work...lol. I'll let you guys decide which you like better for yourself.

IMG_0954.thumb.jpeg.a97f83136cc3e734d945fa920832ba31.jpeg

The top is the finish that Darrell Peart is doing on the Freemont COD in the Guild.  The bottom is my normal ARS followed by High Performance.  Each only has one coat of the clear finish on top and neither was sprayed like I normally would.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jamie said:

I do like the top sample better. Don’t know the process but to me it shows more depth in the grain. Are both samples the same color of stain? Top seems to have more black in it that seems to catch more in the open grain portions. 

I don't want to be a horses backside but, I'd feel pretty bad if I gave away the exact finish on the top..  It's Darryl Peart's finish on the Freemont CODs which is a paid Guild project.  I will say that the product is from Livos Kunos.  It's a total of 3 layers (only 2 on that board) and the first layer does have color in it.

The downsides to it is that it's really expensive and the cure times is horrendous between coats.  I also didn't allow for that cure time before adding the clear over the top of the one with the color.

Additionally, Sapele and African Mahogany will ultimately end up that color over time as well.

3 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Gotcha. Does sapele and mahogany sun bleach? Or should I say darken in the sun? Might work to set them outside to deepen the color before you stain them?

Very much so!  I did a set of night stands for my oldest's wedding.  I went back a year or 2 ago and did a video about how well my furniture pieces were holding up and I was blown away at how dark that Sapele had gotten!

Pretty sure I will just be letting these pieces age naturally.  If I were doing this for a client that wanted that much color immediately then, I'd use it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kev said:

Very much so!  I did a set of night stands for my oldest's wedding.  I went back a year or 2 ago and did a video about how well my furniture pieces were holding up and I was blown away at how dark that Sapele had gotten!

Pretty sure I will just be letting these pieces age naturally.  If I were doing this for a client that wanted that much color immediately then, I'd use it.

If that’s the case the top color sample might get way darker than you would like. Go with you traditional way of doing it. I like the look you get with the armor seal. 

Just now, Jamie said:

If that’s the case the top color sample might get way darker than you would like. Go with you traditional way of doing it. I like the look you get with the armor seal. 

I think there's enough pigment in that upper sample that you wouldn't see much long term difference.

1 minute ago, Kev said:

I think there's enough pigment in that upper sample that you wouldn't see much long term difference.

I would argue that point, the cherry end tables that I made had a ton of pigment in the stain. They have really deepened up in color. Maybe cherry acts differently than mahogany. 

7 minutes ago, Jamie said:

I would argue that point, the cherry end tables that I made had a ton of pigment in the stain. They have really deepened up in color. Maybe cherry acts differently than mahogany. 

Cherry is a different beast all together!  lol. I've never seen a species oxidize like cherry!  The furniture in our spare room is made from cherry.  We were going to have some guests so my wife went in to dust.  She moved the remote control on the nightstand and sure enough, the top had a tan line!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Kev said:

In my haste to get a progress post up tonight, I completely missed the latest dry fit pics...lol. I had to get creative to do this dry fit by myself which is why the extra clamps are on the bottom..

IMG_0953.thumb.jpeg.a77cc67f08fa9bbab411f6d2faecc025.jpeg

Are you sure you are building that in your shop? I mean where is the dust on the floor??? ?

Looks great! Good thinking on the wooden clamps to be the extra set of hands. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Are you sure you are building that in your shop? I mean where is the dust on the floor??? ?

Looks great! Good thinking on the wooden clamps to be the extra set of hands. 

Just a dry fit so, I had time to sweep..

I find myself more and more using the wooden clamps as an extra set of hands.  They really come in handy!

I’m not sure what the color of the room is or what the rest of the furniture in the room is in terms of species and finish, but I like the lighter (2nd) sample. If it’s going to darken more as time goes by I think that will reach a good medium. Also with the size of this piece, a more simple approach may lead to more consistent results. Then again I’m not a good finisher. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

I’m not sure what the color of the room is or what the rest of the furniture in the room is in terms of species and finish, but I like the lighter (2nd) sample. If it’s going to darken more as time goes by I think that will reach a good medium. Also with the size of this piece, a more simple approach may lead to more consistent results. Then again I’m not a good finisher. 

Well, this is the first piece of all new furniture for this room.  So, we're setting the standard for the rest of the room.

I will admit that I was surprised that my wife also preferred the lighter color.  She thought the darker one looked like when you add too much "sharpen" to a digital picture..lol

2 hours ago, Kev said:

Well, this is the first piece of all new furniture for this room.  So, we're setting the standard for the rest of the room.

I will admit that I was surprised that my wife also preferred the lighter color.  She thought the darker one looked like when you add too much "sharpen" to a digital picture..lol

So you got the easier finish and the savings to boot!  Or is this a ploy for you to build some major project for the quilting room?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

So you got the easier finish and the savings to boot!  Or is this a ploy for you to build some major project for the quilting room?

lol..  No, it was just a legit look at a different finish at the start of a new room in the house.  Based on the cost and work, I'm happy with her choice but, it's still a nice finish that will get used someplace..

Well, as I finished up the web frames, every fiber of my being wanted to glue up the back panel today so that it would actually start looking like the beast of the dresser that it is..  I went against that urge and decided to do one more dry fit to make sure there wasn't any mistakes...

You guessed it, I found a significant (but repairable) mistake!

When I cut the notches in the back verticals, somehow I flipped 2 of them over so the domino was misaligned.  I've glued in a domino to fill the void and will recut when the glue dries..

44 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

At least you haven’t found a mistake that the only fix is several F bombs and a match! ?

Actually, with each of the fixes that I've had, they came with F bombs because they were stupid mistakes!  Getting into a groove and not paying attention has lost me a few hours on this one!

On a brighter side, I did get another dry fit complete.  Full disclosure, without any help it took me about 1.5 hours to do.  That's not going to get it for the glue up for sure!

Final dry fit for today!  I have marked for the dados in the web frames and will cut those while the back panel is drying..  I'me really not looking forward to this glue up!  I could really use an extra set or 2 of educated hands for this one!

IMG_0957.thumb.jpeg.fd00ec5732a9e12761170216935c1864.jpeg

• Like 1

So far, I haven’t seen a dry fit involving the panels but I bet there was one and not shown.

Tell me about web frames. Are they usually used when there are no drawer guides and the drawers ride on the frames?

Do you have yet, a sequence of events as such on the glue up or are you still loosing sleep at night thinking about it. 

Wish I could be there to give you a hand but not sure how educated they would be. 

55 minutes ago, Coop said:

So far, I haven’t seen a dry fit involving the panels but I bet there was one and not shown.

Tell me about web frames. Are they usually used when there are no drawer guides and the drawers ride on the frames?

Do you have yet, a sequence of events as such on the glue up or are you still loosing sleep at night thinking about it. 

Wish I could be there to give you a hand but not sure how educated they would be. 

I'll try and keep your questions in order..

1.  I haven't actually cut the panels yet so, no dry fit with them in place.  However, I have double checked the measurements during each dry fit so, am pretty confident with the numbers.  Additionally, I'll have the chance to dry fit the sides and the back before those glue ups so, I'm pretty comfortable with the panels.

2.  Web Frames - There will be vertical members in-between these web frames, I just haven't built them yet.  The span on these frames is just too far to not have the support.  The plan is for these frames to support Blum under mount drawer glides.  I'm going to go with a solid panel in the bottom because my wife likes to run the Rumba.  This should help keep dust coming up through the drawers.  Frankly, a lot of times, these are referred to as dust frames instead of web frames.  Their purpose when not using side glides of some sort was just to keep dust from getting space to space.

3.  Sequence of events is pretty much set but, I don't have the same level of confidence in the glue up.  The entire back panel will be a sub assembly and glued up ahead of time.  From there, the web frames, sides, and front rails all have to go on at the same time.  My wife and son will lend a hand when we do it.  There will be epoxy squeeze out that I'm not going to worry about until it's dry.  I just need to get the gaps closed and get it square.  I will say that today's dry fit took nearly every clamp on my rack because I was by myself.

4.  I'll take your help..  Let me know when your flight will arrive and I'll adjust the glue up accordingly!

• Like 1