Title of the document

Wood source

Richarda

4 hours ago, Spanky said:

How could you be disappointed with Free Lumber and Free Shipping.....LOL.....

I took all but one each of the boards to my work and stacked and stickered them until I found a need. I kept a 4’ x 12” piece of hard maple and today, decided to have a look at the grain. The board had a slight twist and I ripped it down the center which gave me two twisted boards. I used winding sticks to determine where the twist started and cross cut them at that point. Then ran them thruthe jointer and planer. Some darn nice grain there Rickey.

F1A0259B-222C-410A-905C-3E4E53EC8FB6.thumb.jpeg.fc54f28b7479dadf49a55c084bee81f5.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Coop said:

I took all but one each of the boards to my work and stacked and stickered them until I found a need. I kept a 4’ x 12” piece of hard maple and today, decided to have a look at the grain. The board had a slight twist and I ripped it down the center which gave me two twisted boards. I used winding sticks to determine where the twist started and cross cut them at that point. Then ran them thruthe jointer and planer. Some darn nice grain there Rickey.

Damn..  I shipped the wrong stuff to Coop ?

Nothing wrong with what you did to work the twist.  Before I got the current jointer, I would often use the drum sander and a quick sled to get a board flat enough to get into the planer..

Looking down the sticks, it appeared to be about a 1/4” off from opposing corners. I could, I guess, have used a hand plane but this is some wonky grain. 

Kev, there seems to be a pattern. I can’t edit if there is a pic involved but can if there isn’t. Certainly not something I can’t live with. Just FYI.

1 hour ago, Coop said:

Kev, there seems to be a pattern. I can’t edit if there is a pic involved but can if there isn’t. Certainly not something I can’t live with. Just FYI.

The edit is being worked on by the software developer..  It's in the works..

1 hour ago, Coop said:

Looking down the sticks, it appeared to be about a 1/4” off from opposing corners. I could, I guess, have used a hand plane but this is some wonky grain. 

1/4" is certainly something the drum sander can handle with a quick sled..  Just a chunk of ply with the board stabilized on it..  I have a few chunks of ply in the shop for this purpose..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2020 at 9:20 PM, Coop said:

I have to sell the junk lumber to somebody! ? LOL

13 hours ago, Spanky said:

I have to sell the junk lumber to somebody! ? LOL

After sending a piece of this hard maple thru the drum sander and going thru the grits with the ros, I could take a picture and run my hand across it with a description on how it feels, but it darn sure wouldn’t do it justice. This wood is a piece of art in itself. I think you should go ahead and cash that $1 check so I won’t feel so guilty! ?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bushwacked said:

Finally building my desk. A shame I can’t get some of amazing figured walnut ? ... gonna have to shop local and see what I can find 

Hmm..  I have a load of it stuck here in Oklahoma with me...lol

1 hour ago, Bushwacked said:

is the job not going that well so they keep extending you? Or just more work than expected?

Should be an interesting Aug 16th ?

To be honest, it's all about politics..  The refinery is afraid of liability so, won't get rid of us until the state decides that's a good thing to do.  So, as long as the CDC is recommending all of this, they'll keep people on hand to do it.  I don't want to get into politics.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spanky said:

If the Houston Boy would get his Big Check Book out, he could have alittle curly white oak lumber. 

The Montana boy probably would too if he could take the weight on the truck...lol