Title of the document

Harvey MG-36 Review

Kev

2 hours ago, Coop said:

Has anyone made zci sacrificial fences for the Harvey yet? 

Yes

1 hour ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Do you have to use a 1/4” x 20?  If there is still slop, use 5/16 and then grind to fit.  

I used 1/4 X 20 hex and ground them to fit.

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

21 hours ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Do you have to use a 1/4” x 20?  If there is still slop, use 5/16 and then grind to fit.  

The 1/4” are too large, both thickness and width. I’ll grind the 1/4” down. I tried 3/16” and there is a bunch of slop. 

14 minutes ago, Coop said:

The 1/4” are too large, both thickness and width. I’ll grind the 1/4” down. I tried 3/16” and there is a bunch of slop. 

This should work fine, it seems strange that this is an issue with such a quality product.  Almost makes me wonder why the wouldn’t include.  Also you may need to find a metric sized bolt, since this was manufactured in a country that uses metric, not imperial.  

• Like 1

I am a little puzzled also at their instructions.  I had to grind them both for size and thickness, bit of a pain.  Everything I tried at the hardware store was to big or too small.  I tried some metric, no joy there.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

On 1/21/2021 at 11:48 AM, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Maybe you guys should reach out with the issues you have. They seem to be a responsive company. 

Sorry for slow response to this!  Completely agree!

This job should be done in the next couple weeks and this video is high on my list!  I have some stuff sitting in the shop that I hope is the solution but, I won't know until I get home.  So...  Anything you guys come up with would certainly help!  Personally, I don't think grinding down the nuts is the right answer!  If it's a flaw in the design, I'd like to give that honest opinion when I do the video.  If there's an awesome solution, I'd also like to be able to give that in the video as well.

1 hour ago, Bob said:

I did not order the Harvey, other things came up, but I have been following this thread and wonder if a track nut like this might be a solution.

I tried some that I had on hand from Incra and they were too tall, 9/16, I know they come smaller and the smaller ones would work, but then you would be using a pretty small screw also.

I do have an inquiry in to Harvey, but haven't heard back yet. 

• Like 2

Apologies for the missing video in this thread the last few days..  There was an issue with YouTube where people were getting this video in their regular feed so, I needed to pull it down for a bit..  The video is now public so, available in this thread again now.

On 12/24/2020 at 6:23 PM, Kev said:

I'm dropping this video into this section of the forums for now because this section isn't open to the general public.  I don't plan on releasing this until late January or so.

Also, I used some of @pkinneb's pictures and don't have his permission for that yet..

I just saw it drop (like what the kids are saying! ?).

Nice tool!

Make it it a great day!

?,

RXR

Edited by RxR Sawdust Station
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kev said:

There was a post on the YT channel today that this is on sale right now as well at 30% off..  

Looks like it is $10.00 less then I paid.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So....  Some of the items I ordered while I was gone were some nuts of various sizes so that I could do a quick follow up video for adding a 0-clearance fence.  Out of everything I ordered, there was one item that will work but, I still wasn't happy with the fit.

I went ahead and took some measurements and made an order through McMaster-Carr that I think will be the correct nuts and screws.  I'll do a quick video once I know for sure which fasteners are needed.

• Like 1

The ones that work best are metric.  What ever the metric number was in the manual.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chet said:

The ones that work best are metric.  What ever the metric number was in the manual.

You're probably correct but, I don't have any on hand and didn't order any..  The issue was more with the overall height of the square nut.  I was able to find one at McMaster that was 1/16" smaller and still in SAE at 10/32"

12 hours ago, Chet said:

I made a trip this morning to try and find locally the metric parts without success..  I ordered again from McMaster the metric parts which are due in on Thursday.

I have an SAE option that will work but, I'm going to wait for the metric bits to show up to see if they work a little better.

Either way, I should have the video follow up out next weekend.

3 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

After using mine for a while I have to say I love this miter fence! I think its price is pretty high but it just works and correctly every time. Very well engineered and the micro adjust is a game changer for me.

I added a 0 clearance today using the SAE stuff and it worked fine!  I agree, it's quite a bit better than the Incra!  Looking forward to getting the metric bits and offering an informed opinion on the best option with links for the hardware..

• Like 1

Has anyone contacted the manufacturer about this? It’s defiantly not a deal breaker but would be nice to know what they recommend. I love mine and treat it like a piece of fine china. I even hate to discard the box it came in?

11 minutes ago, Coop said:

Has anyone contacted the manufacturer about this? It’s defiantly not a deal breaker but would be nice to know what they recommend. I love mine and treat it like a piece of fine china. I even hate to discard the box it came in?

I'll be the first to admit that I haven't looked in the manual but, I think @Chet did and made comment that the metric stuff was best suited...

Now, with that said, I have an SAE alternative figured out (and currently mounted) and the metric stuff on order.  So, I'll have options for both this up coming weekend.

13 minutes ago, Coop said:

would be nice to know what they recommend

Yea, I had contacted them Coop.  The metric size that they listed in in the manual was correct but the SAE size was a typo, but I forget what the correct size was because I had already used the metric so I wasn't concerned enough to remember.

• Like 3