Title of the document

Harvey MG-36 Review

Kev

8 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Great job Kev! Really glad you liked it. I'm always a little hesitant to give opinions on tools especially expensive ones LOL.

P.s. now worries on the pics ? 

I kind of have the same issue..  In the end, anything I offer up (even the video) is simply my opinion of the particular tool.  It's a little easier if I keep that in mind when doing a review.

• Like 1

I finally got around to assembling mine and your video was helpful, thanks. Just curious what others think? The little round guide at the end of the bar that fits into the miter slot I find to be a pain, as was the one on the Incra that I removed. This allows me to drop the miter gauge down into the slot without having to start it into the slot from the front of the table. Is there a reason this guide is on the bar?

1 hour ago, Coop said:

I finally got around to assembling mine and your video was helpful, thanks. Just curious what others think? The little round guide at the end of the bar that fits into the miter slot I find to be a pain, as was the one on the Incra that I removed. This allows me to drop the miter gauge down into the slot without having to start it into the slot from the front of the table. Is there a reason this guide is on the bar?

I always slide mine in from the end..  I do see your point though.

29 minutes ago, Coop said:

Also, I see that the Incra has a thin strip of Teflon tape on the bottom of the cross bar that allows it to ride smoothly on the saw top where the Compass is metal against metal.

I keep a couple rolls of teflon tape in the shop exactly for stuff like this.  I bought the rolls when I was struggling with the fence on my TS.  I can dig up a link if you need it?

9 minutes ago, Coop said:

Is that something that HD would have or have to go to Rockler? 

Good question...  I don't know to be honest.

I would certainly be looking at the big box store as I'm sure it has many uses.  For the record, I think the stuff I ordered is actually from Kreig so, if you have something local that sells Kreig stuff, you could probably find it there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coop said:

Just curious what others think? The little round guide at the end of the bar that fits into the miter slot I find to be a pain, as was the one on the Incra that I removed. This allows me to drop the miter gauge down into the slot without having to start it into the slot from the front of the table. Is there a reason this guide is on the bar?

The theory is so it can't flip out of the rail when pulled back.

• Like 1

I put UHMW tape on the bottom of my Incra also.  But to you all that have the new Harvey miter gauge you need to go out to your shop and look at the under side of the fence.  Its not riding metal to metal.  There is a black UHMW type material in the bottom of the fence.  

If yours is metal to metal Ken you need to contact Harvey.

• Like 2

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

2 hours ago, Chet said:

I put UHMW tape on the bottom of my Incra also.  But to you all that have the new Harvey miter gauge you need to go out to your shop and look at the under side of the fence.  Its not riding metal to metal.  There is a black UHMW type material in the bottom of the fence.  

If yours is metal to metal Ken you need to contact Harvey.

11 minutes ago, Coop said:

You’re absolutely right Chet, now that I put my glasses on! Thanks bud! 

Had to go check mine as well and mine has the hard plastic in it as well..

18 hours ago, Coop said:

Have you guys made a sacrificial fence for yours yet? They are calling for a rectangular 1/4-20 nut? Can’t say as I have ever seen one? 

I think they are referencing something like this Coop.

Unknown.jpeg.5ee34b9fbf04e435d1b6e78c7b2d8aee.jpeg

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

2 hours ago, Coop said:

Those are square

My high school math teaching daughter want me to inform you that all squares are rectangles but not all rectangles are square. ?

You just need something that won't turn in the slot Coop 

• Haha 1

That ain’t right! You married your teachers daughter? No wonder you graduated with honors ?

seriously though, I don’t have a 1/4” square nut but a six sided, not rectangular, and you would think ( maybe not) that it would fit as the two sides are parallel. Me and geometry quit getting along after 90* angles. 

Yea, any nut that fits the slot but won't turn when you tighten the screw in you sacrificial fence will work.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Coop said:

I have yet to find a 1/4” x 20 square nut. 

Lowes / HD should have them..  Probably in their specialty section of the nuts and bolts section.

Or, perhaps you'd prefer Amazon?

https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Line-9192619-Square-Plated-25-Pack/dp/B07FLZX8Y8/ref=sr_1_3?crid=35E8OHJM6KX9U&dchild=1&keywords=1%2F4+20+square+nut&qid=1610309520&sprefix=square+1%2F4"+20%2Caps%2C258&sr=8-3

I looked both places and in their specialty drawers. There is a GoodValue hardware store near my office that carries a lot of items not found in HD and I will try there. The darn 1/4” hex heads are too wide to fit the slots. I had some of the oblong nuts left from the Incra and they are too wide. I think I will take the miter bar with me to the GV store to be on the safe side. 

• Like 1