Title of the document

Harvey MG-36 Review

Kev

5 minutes ago, Coop said:

I took the 1/4-20 as an alternate

That was the typo they mentioned in the email.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

7 minutes ago, Chet said:

That was the typo they mentioned in the email.

Yea, the 1/4-20 square nuts are about 1/16" too big..  They're super close though which is why I think you're correct with the metric option.. 

I'm not in the shop so, don't want to state incorrect info..  There's an SAE option but, it's also not a square nut, it's a regular hex nut....  This is what's currently mounted no my Harvey miter jig..

• 10 months later...
9 hours ago, Coop said:

Not here either. This is my clearance that he said he had trouble with. Completely satisfied with my Harvey.

2C41084F-11B5-4E92-8C32-E28DD32CB032.thumb.jpeg.856b605c83612499a8fbd0b4a5b7f991.jpeg

Thanks!  I didn't recall any issue there with mine either but, I can't just run out to the shop and look at it right now.  I think I'm going to have an opportunity next weekend to see a new Harvey TS in person as well as that MG-36

A few things to touch on here..

First off, I'm going to get access to the Harvey saw as well as the miter gauge that came with it so, will be able to verify some of the defects from Marc's video.  Additionally, I've paid the money to have my wife overnight my video gear to video the results that I'll release off schedule to get them out there.  Good or bad, I will publish my actual findings.

As a bonus for you guys (Ok, maybe not a bonus...lol), you guys will get to see me with a full beard on my face..  I didn't have to be fit tested on this job so, got to let it grow..  I'll loose it when it's time to get back to the respirator..

Ok, next up..  If you haven't seen it, Stumpy Nubs did a video in rebuttal to Marcs.  He didn't name names but, we all know who he's talking about.  Although I think Stumpy has always done pretty honest and fair product reviews, I think it's important to remember he has a financial interest with Harvey.  With that said, I think his points were valid and appreciate the fact that he let everyone know he had a financial interest.

And lastly, I've asked my wife to take some pictures of my MG-36 so that I can look at the gap just to be sure.

If I were at home, I would probably order another one just to see and then give it away to a lucky winner or something.

Everything I've seen so far is leading me to believe that Marc got a bum one and that happens.  However, his experience with their customer service is an entire different issue and warrants some concern!  You all saw me really go after PM but, ultimately, that was caused by their lack of good customer service when I got a bum product as well.  So, I won't fault Marc there as that was his experience.

So, that's where things are at for now..  I did reference this forum on a YouTube post so, there's probably lots of readers looking at this.  I hope they join the conversation as we work through these conflicting reviews.

• Like 1

Update:

My wife was kind enough to grab some pictures of my gauge so, I wanted to drop them here.

Here's the back of the gauge.  Obviously, I don't have the same issue as Marc.

IMG_3490.thumb.jpeg.dea7068d360686377fec5ba0b16f3011.jpeg

The miter bar is the old style even though this gauge isn't that old.  

IMG_3493.thumb.jpeg.a3890aa52e67385fc0da8bfcc07f6188.jpeg

Pretty sure that I'll be off this weekend and will get to see the new Harvey in person and have a closer look at the MG-36 that came with the saw.

I guess I read thru the next to last post too quickly. You will have access to a Harvey saw as in you are getting one or a friend has one? Does it come stock with this style miter bar? 

I’d like to upgrade to a Harvey saw and would like your opinion on it. 

10 hours ago, Coop said:

I guess I read thru the next to last post too quickly. You will have access to a Harvey saw as in you are getting one or a friend has one? Does it come stock with this style miter bar? 

I’d like to upgrade to a Harvey saw and would like your opinion on it. 

lol..  All good..

A friend of mine here has another friend (I have not met yet) that bought the saw and just got it put together last week.  Yes, it comes with the MG-36 so, I get the opportunity to actually put my hands on the saw as well as take a good look at that miter gauge.

If I were a betting man, my money would be on Friday to get a good look at things..

• Like 1

Just got the word that I'll be off this weekend!  I have an appointment on Friday evening to see the saw and the gauge..

Provided the borrowed camera has no issues, the overnighted mic system arrives and works, and I don't get held over at work and I should have a video out by Monday!

• Thanks 1

Well, I've shot the footage and hope it all turned out ok!  

Just to give a bit of a spoiler, there was just nothing wrong with his miter gauge and it functioned as it should.

The Table saw was the smaller 2hp saw.  I would put it in about the same arena as my Grizzly 0715P with a lot better fit and finish.  The fence was as nice as my PM or the SS though so, it was nice to see that quality on a saw in that price range.

Got the video edited and pushed to YouTube! 

I don't normally drop early private videos in this section of the forums but, have decided to this time.  I'm going to leave it private for a few days because I just dropped the video on the changing table.

So, for the lurkers, you get to see this one early as well.  

• Like 3

I don't have the issues Marc talked about either. The only thing I agree with him on is the customer service. While my issued was handled very quickly and to my satisfaction its hard to believe they wouldn't send him a new unit that video can not be helping sales and quite frankly it sad becuase I think its the best miter gauge I have ever used. 

• Like 1