Title of the document

Walnut/Maple Hallway Table

Figure 8’s should work as you have them shown. I would have used a Forstner bit to recess them into the legs. Each figure 8 has a recessed bevel on each side to receive a tapered wood screw. From the pic, you have it reversed. If after recessing the figure 8 and flipping it over, and the screw still pokes thru, get a shorter screw. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kev said:

Assuming your rails are 3/4" (or close to it) they should fit fine.

yes they are and they did 🙂 ... good to know though for the future when I need to use these

9 hours ago, Coop said:

Figure 8’s should work as you have them shown. I would have used a Forstner bit to recess them into the legs. Each figure 8 has a recessed bevel on each side to receive a tapered wood screw. From the pic, you have it reversed. If after recessing the figure 8 and flipping it over, and the screw still pokes thru, get a shorter screw. 

I did recess them, its just a really weird looking picture ... that is actually sitting flush with the top, although it looks like it is just sitting on top haha.

The problem with using those is where they are, the rabbeted wood is only about 1/4 thick so I would need a tiny screw for that and not sure how well it would actually hold 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

Final check with glass and rounded corners ..

got my figure 8s figured out 

wiped down with mineral spirits and ready for finish tomorrow. 

That turned out cool!  Only pic missing is the whole table pic...

Happy to see the figure 8s worked our for you!

What's the finish going to be?

19 minutes ago, Kev said:

Looks great!  Would really like to see the whole table.  From the little I can see, I am not sure about frosting the glass.  I really like the clear glass look.

12 hours ago, Bob said:

Looks great!  Would really like to see the whole table.  From the little I can see, I am not sure about frosting the glass.  I really like the clear glass look.

thanks! 

here is a quick and dirty shot I took the other day … 63BEFA53-DD49-4256-AF35-67FDB56A7800.thumb.jpeg.34dd1c7bd7ad546bbced570c7efa919a.jpeg

13 hours ago, Kev said:

Happy to see the figure 8s worked our for you!

What's the finish going to be?

GF high performance will be the finish sprayed on 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Kev said:

Something to match or tie in with what you've done with the accent woods..  

Yea, I think I would do a frosted pattern that would create lines across the class that connected you maple inlays.

• Like 2

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

8 minutes ago, Chet said:

Yea, I think I would do a frosted pattern that would create lines across the class that connected you maple inlays.

That would work..  Or some sort of "animal" type pattern in some weeds where the weeds tie into the inlays..  etc....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chet said:

2 minutes ago, Kev said:

That would work..  Or some sort of "animal" type pattern in some weeds where the weeds tie into the inlays..  etc....

If you do decide to do a pattern (which I think would be very cool) I would etch the glass instead of frosting.  Etching is permanent and easy to do with a template.  I etched a 6 pane door as my first attempt and it was very easy.  This is the product I used.  Glass etching

• Like 2

Thanks guys!! 

On 9/1/2021 at 8:46 PM, Coop said:

Man, that looks great. Did you decide to leave the glass clear? Can’t tell from the last pic. 

yes  I went with a film topping as it had a cool pattern  however it was put on only with water and static?? I’m not sure how well it will hold up. I wouldn’t recommend the film on it either and I won’t use it again. It was easy to install and everything I just don’t think it is going to last long and not bubble. 

A couple other pics… it was super hard to get the texture from the film in picture 

41CA0048-C0ED-4A91-B633-1C76B62AC467.thumb.jpeg.c6a0ad9c8379e12f1ab1ba239af58097.jpeg

21EDA8B9-79FE-424B-819E-7947292A5B40.thumb.jpeg.da20963cff81d31ba4980fc1e431f94a.jpeg

• Like 6