Title of the document

Walnut/Maple Hallway Table

well got a new piece I am going to be working on ... a Walnut/Maple hallway table. I have seen so many of these done and tons of variations over the plane look. So I took a stab at making this one be a little different as well.

Going to have a glass middle ... with maple accents cut through out the top. The legs do have a taper on them, just hard to see in the video. 

2 main questions starting off

1) what do yall think of the maple accents, should they go all the way through the top or is 1/4 deep like they are fine? Yes, you will see them not all the way through on the sides the way it is now ... which is why I am curious how that should be handled and if it would look stupid not going all the way through.

2) The glass will sit flush on the top, do the edges need a 1/32 or so gap from the wood to help with movement? 

Any other thoughts on this one?

• Like 1

If the maple accents are the thin strips that you see in the first frame of the video, I don’t see them being worth the effort. JMO but the glass breaks up any continuity they would have, from one side to the other. And I do like maple and walnut in a build. Not to bust your bubble. 

• Like 1

Doing them all the way through, I'd be concerned structurally since your glue ups would be end grain.  You might get away with it with some loose tenons and epoxy but, I would still consider them suspect. I think some shallow inlay would work out better structurally even though it's probably more work.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Coop said:

If the maple accents are the thin strips that you see in the first frame of the video, I don’t see them being worth the effort. JMO but the glass breaks up any continuity they would have, from one side to the other. And I do like maple and walnut in a build. Not to bust your bubble. 

So, yes they are the thing strips you see ... here are some better shots:

1.thumb.jpg.677370ce0d0ad752554fb3fef96007ac.jpg

The plan was to have the actual lines line up across the top. In the pic above if you followed the lines, all but 2 have a continuation across the glass, and those 2 I was just tired and for some reason they were fighting me so I gave up for the moment haha.

2.thumb.jpg.49eb20ae04f6aa58b148c46a3d7bf6c8.jpg

Here is how deep I was originally planning on going, about 1/4" 

9 hours ago, Coop said:

Giving it more thought, I think a thin inlay or laminated piece of maple centered or not, around the perimeter of the top would look good. 

I will have to give that some thought ... so are you saying like wrap the outside in maple on the edge? Or like a 1/4 deep rectangle around the edge or somewhere in the middle'ish?

2 hours ago, Kev said:

Doing them all the way through, I'd be concerned structurally since your glue ups would be end grain.  You might get away with it with some loose tenons and epoxy but, I would still consider them suspect. I think some shallow inlay would work out better structurally even though it's probably more work.

I was thinking the same thing ... and that is why I was going with the 1/4 deep grooves to start with at least. glad to see I was thinking about it correctly for once 🙂 

5 hours ago, Kev said:

I see that you show them just across the top in this latest pic..  That might look a little strange from the side view to see those little "tics" of maple at the top on the side? 

This is what I am going back and forth in my head about ... 

4 hours ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Just my opinion, I think doing the table without the maple would look good on its own.

True, just trying to add a little something else to it ... maybe the glass feature will do that all on its own?

7 hours ago, Coop said:

From the new pic, I like the design! 

thanks Coop! 

On 7/20/2021 at 8:50 PM, Coop said:

I used this kind of glass on my door and it looks sharp against the walnut.

2D8C2671-D9C2-4389-9A6F-1D1C692E5A7F.thumb.jpeg.42f7b8edaf74ac6a4fdcf30a67695b18.jpeg

Yes that came out looking amazing! problem is I already have the clear glass 😞 Next version will definitely have some glass like that

On 7/20/2021 at 10:03 PM, Kev said:

I did the entry table with the floating top a few years ago that turned out pretty cool!

ooooh I forgot about this one ... watched it back in the day though. yes that is great looking by itself 

6 hours ago, Bushwacked said:

Yes that came out looking amazing! problem is I already have the clear glass 😞 Next version will definitely have some glass like that

You do know that you can frost your own glass out of a spray can right?  You can also purchase glass etcher that's more of a brush on.  Cool think about both is that if you want an artistic design in the glass, a simple stick down pattern on the glass before you etch it will leave those areas clear giving you the design you want.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kev said:

You do know that you can frost your own glass out of a spray can right?  You can also purchase glass etcher that's more of a brush on.  Cool think about both is that if you want an artistic design in the glass, a simple stick down pattern on the glass before you etch it will leave those areas clear giving you the design you want.

Also you could go to a glass shop if you are comfortable with doing yourself.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bushwacked said:

oh interesting ... I will take a look at that and see about the whole frosting thing ..

I've frosted a few things over the years, it's really not hard.  You should be able to buy it in a rattle can at the big box store..  There's also lots of YT videos on it..

If you're going to do a design, I've used the stuff they used on kitchen shelves.  Just stick it on the glass, draw/cut your design, and spray..

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Roundover bit came today so I got to finish the legs .. it’s a beast of a bit! Had to expand the router bit hole to get it to fit. Don’t be jealous of my fancy router table 🤣

1DFBE4C8-2F6E-4561-9B61-1455B99FDA72.thumb.jpeg.2a6764788954cd6e030df2fec2dca406.jpeg

88CAB802-27D9-4ED4-9407-DC40BAA1D087.thumb.jpeg.4f635d5b476b5eb4eba04f004a0342d0.jpeg

32CFF3CA-AA2E-4BFC-B12E-CC094C154A61.thumb.jpeg.103a73371f79808a1a817bf0508ddf40.jpeg

ACD05D1F-C25D-4485-B1E0-DDC88C929947.thumb.jpeg.53bbc54cc3da3a6a9656fcc681fe9efa.jpeg

overall I think they came out pretty good. Never don’t legs with this much of a roundover so I wasn’t sure how they would turn out. I like it. 

blast gate decided to clog up on my 6” line and gate wouldn’t close. Took about 10mins of jacking with it to clear it out and get it back on. Kind of annoying for sure … 

8842B7A5-55C6-4130-B591-0D534EC4C939.thumb.jpeg.6aa634f884340e906d3ddad8f1ad3a03.jpeg

• Like 2