Title of the document

Review of Harvey MG-36 Miter Gauge compared to Incra 1000HD

pkinneb

As promised here is my opinion of the Harvey MG-36 Miter gauge as compared to my Incra 1000HD miter gauge. Spoiler alert for those who want to cut to the chase, I am selling my Incra ? 

FWIW This is the metric version because they sent the wrong one, they are replacing the rule and the micro adjust.

First both are solid miter gauges and cut perfect 90s, 45s, etc right out of the box and would be solid contenders in any shop. The 1000HD can be picked up for $180 on sale I picked up the Harvey for $279 on sale, retail is $399 which is nuts for a miter gauge, in my opinion. In fact I think $279 is a crazy too but....

So why switch?  I hate the damn plastic knurl nuts and micro adj on the Incra. I also like the tool less nature of the Harvey

The fit and finish on both is top notch. They both weigh about the same and have similar features. The biggest differences are (other then adjusting the guide bar) the Harvey requires no tools. The Incra requires an allen wrench (supplied) to make several adjustments.

The other main difference is the Incra has a ruler that will provide inches from the blade the Harvey's ruler is only for fine adjustments and not inches from the blade. Also the Incra has positive stops for pretty much every increment one could ever want in their lifetime the Harvey has positive stops at 90, 60, 45, & 22.5

Putting them together is quick and simple. The first thing you notice is the main handle. I have always felt the Incra slim handle was a bit small the larger bulb on the Harvey feels good and is a snap to tighten. Oh and did I mention no tools required on the Harvey ? 

2.jpg.ed3a5db0641ceedc757a2ae8bd1b64f3.jpg

Here is a shot of the miter increments. If unlimited positive stop increments are at the top of your wish list the Incra is definitely the way to go. For me having positive stopes for the main ones and the ability to go 1 degree at a time is perfect. There is a lockout (square button to the left of the knob) for the positive stop ball so that you can micro adj the angle and then lock it in with the handle on the Harvey.

3.jpg.49a0b28074a6f0d3253d878702757353.jpg

4.jpg.21e2640ffa0cb8c4a5469890973d27f3.jpg

The flip stops are conceptually the same but IMO the Harvey is much better executed at every level. The knurl nuts on the Incra are a pain and I find the track style grip on the back also to be a bit of a pain. To micro adjust requires a tool as well. The Harvey has one knob to attach to the fence (top right) one for adjustments (left) and a lock knob (middle). The micro adjust lets you easily adjust 1/8" which I really really like. I typically use either a steel rule or a mark on my boards so for my work flow being able to micro adjust to those are important to me.

5.jpg.5dd13f46b65c5ae3db40f6e398923f9b.jpg

6.jpg.63da2cb1d2d09fd861343300be7eeba9.jpg

To slide out the bar just turn the knurl nut on the Harvey and the allen screw on the Incra

7.jpg.f7ec12301d89742a1e7ec69dc1644328.jpg

8.jpg.7e22ace1e66418a815b5aeafce02e6fc.jpg

The max stock lengths are 28" on the Incra and approx 34" on the Harvey

9.jpg.b71959cff626ab9f23defbb021f30add.jpg

10.jpg.987dd6aa4340c6e043acf01b3ef4b186.jpg

Here are close ups of the micro adjustment flips stops. On the Harvey everything is up on top and metal the Incra some are on the front and the others on the bottom of the flip stop all are plastic knurl nuts.

12.jpg.d6a1b4cf55ca608b48a65c41505fb35c.jpg

14.jpg.e98830d436f3f7755bdf30314e9832b6.jpg

11.jpg.3d4cbf68afa66e5f13aa14e8fc394494.jpg

13.jpg.c47c83339e4019dba9e41306268bc072.jpg

Another nice feature of the Harvey is the angled end I've seen more then one Incra get clipped off and on Saw Stops trigger a brake. Again for me not a big deal but nice touch. 

15.jpg.133523ab27be7eb684e2bca3976fc4ac.jpg

16.jpg.fc7ad392bbee97e8dec47355f537c4e9.jpg

For me and my work flow the Harvey is the winner pretty much hands down. While I still think its overpriced (as is all my Festool equipment) It is a solid design and works really well. Doesn't have all the stops of the Incra but the tooless nature of it is a huge plus for me.

Anyone interested in a Incra 1000HD? I have one for sale $140 shipped $120 local pickup. Like new including box and a couple extra sacrificial fences ? 

17.jpg.c302b9f83a1dcad8ac16c7e3b7e4e97a.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Kev said:

Well poop!  Looks like I gotta make an order....

Ditto

One question Paul,  It looks like the flip stop on the Harvey would still allow you to have a sacrificial fence, is that correct?

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

11 minutes ago, Chet said:

Ditto

One question Paul,  It looks like the flip stop on the Harvey would still allow you to have a sacrificial fence, is that correct?

Yes sir 3/4" just like the Incra just different bolt pattern. The Harvey instructions call out for the bolt and nut I believe its a #6 1/4-20

If I hadn’t stopped for a beer on my way home, I would have beat you to it as a present for my brother. I’m assuming he still uses the miter bar that came with his SS and I haven’t asked, but I would have thought it would have been more substantial. I may have to just go ahead and get the Harvey and give him my Incra. Paul, did you mention where you bought it? Great review by the way. 

Will you be adding a sacrificial fence? 

43 minutes ago, Coop said:

If I hadn’t stopped for a beer on my way home, I would have beat you to it as a present for my brother. I’m assuming he still uses the miter bar that came with his SS and I haven’t asked, but I would have thought it would have been more substantial. I may have to just go ahead and get the Harvey and give him my Incra. Paul, did you mention where you bought it? Great review by the way. 

Will you be adding a sacrificial fence? 

Direct from harveywoodworking.com

Yes I will, 3/4" mdf like I used on the Incra

• Like 1

Something else I found pretty cool was the whole shipping experience.

I got constant notices about when it shipped, where it was at, and another telling me it was out for delivery.  And then, one more telling me it was delivered.  Certainly a nice defense against low life porch pirates!  I'm fortunate to not have that issue where I live but, I know some people do.

38 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Wow that is some fast shipping. Now you have another piece of content to get out while traveling for the day job. 

I just shot the footage for the review..

I will say, next to the Incra, this is an amazing miter gauge!  The fit and finish are light years ahead of the Incra!.  Wait until you guys see the packaging!

I'll drop my video review here for you guys but, the video probably won't come out until January.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bob said:

Stop it!  I am so tempted, but I just bought a lathe and I would be is so much trouble.

Just bury the price in the cost of the lathe. ?

• Like 3

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

2 minutes ago, Bob said:

Stop it!  I am so tempted, but I just bought a lathe and I would be is so much trouble.

Just a Christmas gift to yourself... ?

@pkinneb, can I have your permission to use a couple of your photos in my video?  I can retake them if you don't want them used.  I long ago lost the stop on my Incra so, it's not in my videos...lol

10 minutes ago, Kev said:

I just shot the footage for the review..

Weren't we spending time with the family?  Or were they all helping with the filming.

• Haha 1

Just now, Chet said:

Weren't we spending time with the family?  Or were they all helping with the filming.

We were up late last night playing games so, they're all grabbing a nap..  I wasn't in the mood for a nap with a new toy in the shop.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Coop said:

I’m going to wait until mine arrives before I watch your video. That would be like knowing what’s in a gift wrapped box before you open it! ?

I do show you how to put it together..  Not that it's difficult...lol