Title of the document

Review of Harvey MG-36 Miter Gauge compared to Incra 1000HD

pkinneb

Yesterday, I received an email from a guy that was having an issue with the micro adjust on his miter gauge..  I took some pictures and explained how it was supposed to work but, his was obviously defective.

Long story short, he reached out to Harvey who is replacing his miter gauge.

Just wanted to add this in this thread as I think it speaks to Harvey's customer service.

• Thanks 1

On 5/19/2021 at 2:39 PM, Kev said:

Yesterday, I received an email from a guy that was having an issue with the micro adjust on his miter gauge..  I took some pictures and explained how it was supposed to work but, his was obviously defective.

Long story short, he reached out to Harvey who is replacing his miter gauge.

Just wanted to add this in this thread as I think it speaks to Harvey's customer service.

No kidding! The micro adjust is the bomb that and its simplicity continue to be my favorite features.

• Like 2

I wish they sold extra stops.  There are times it would be nice to have two setups.

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

Yes I did and they said not at this time.  Hopefully someday things will change

• Confused 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

11 minutes ago, Chet said:

Yes I did and they said not at this time.  Hopefully someday things will change

I sent them a note as well requesting the purchase of just the flip stop with the miter gauge..  Maybe if they get enough traffic it will open up the possibility!

Chet, I think your idea of the stop block on your Multiple Boxes was a good idea but a secondary flip stop would be handy. Where did you and Kev address your requests too? Probably the only improvement that could be made to that miter bar. My best investment in a long time. 

22 minutes ago, Coop said:

Chet, I think your idea of the stop block on your Multiple Boxes was a good idea but a secondary flip stop would be handy. Where did you and Kev address your requests too? Probably the only improvement that could be made to that miter bar. My best investment in a long time. 

Harvey contacts page is where I sent mine..

https://www.harveywoodworking.com/pages/contat-us

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Coop said:

Haven’t heard a word back yet. Primo product but piss poor sales/customer service. 

I wouldn't go quite that far..

I recently had someone send me an email with an issue with theirs.  They contacted the company and got a new one in just a few days..  

I'm sure the contact form with requests like ours are taken with a grain of salt until there is enough of them to grab some attention..

14 minutes ago, Coop said:

Before I sold my company, we answered all emails and phone messages. Aside from being courteous, you never know the sales potential. 

I don't disagree..  I'm guessing those contacts that we sent go in a totally different place..  The call placed by the person that I heard from had a totally different experience.  

For the record, I never got a response from the note I sent either.

• 1 month later...

Ok, now that everybody has had time with their miter gauge, is everybody still happy?  It is back on sale, but I am still, on the fence, (sorry I couldn't resist) about buying one.  Sale lasts a couple of more days, so convince me.  I am currently using an Osborne that has served me well.

2 minutes ago, Bob said:

Ok, now that everybody has had time with their miter gauge, is everybody still happy?  It is back on sale, but I am still, on the fence, (sorry I couldn't resist) about buying one.  Sale lasts a couple of more days, so convince me.  I am currently using an Osborne that has served me well.

I'm extremely happy!  I've had the opportunity to use it on a few projects and like it much better than my Incra.  I haven't used the Osborne so, I can't make a comparison there.  I'm guessing the micro adjust is the biggest difference and that's been a game changer for me.

• Like 1

My problem is, I don't want to buy a "nice to have, but not need tool".  The Harvey has a lot of features that I think I would like, and I don't want to miss the sale.  But I have kind of over spent my tool budget when I just bought another Festool last week.  

4 minutes ago, Bob said:

My problem is, I don't want to buy a "nice to have, but not need tool".  The Harvey has a lot of features that I think I would like, and I don't want to miss the sale.  But I have kind of over spent my tool budget when I just bought another Festool last week.  

Only you can make that call..  If you're happy with your current gauge then, this one becomes a "nice to have" because of bells and whistles.

I would have bought it years ago to replace my Incra, if nothing else but for the fact that there are thumb screws instead of Allen screws for all adjustments. I gave my Incra to my brother who was still using his stock SS and he’s tickled pink! Yeah, it’s a luxury item but so was my bs when I bought it! 

I could come real close to calling a game changer in the miter gauge world.  Being able to adjust the stop block and everything with the turn of a knob instead of need a tool like Incra is great.   In addition to that, the micro adjust feature built in to the stop block is real useful,  I am surprised at how much I have use it when fitting parts.

• Like 1

I think you'll be very happy Bob! While I think the price is crazy, better on sale, but still high it is a solid piece of engineering in my opinion and I will never need another. Its simple, accurate, and like Kev said the micro adjust is a game changer.

• Like 1

Got mine today.   Haven't used it yet, need to make a couple of sub fences.  It was slightly out of square to my saw,  very easy to calibrate which by itself is a first for any of my previous miter gauges.  I have no regrets about this purchase. 

• Like 2