Title of the document

Another Quilting Room Project

Kev

So..  Upon my return from work, I found my wife to have 3 quilts going at the same time and material scattered all over her quilting room.  She was pretty quick to let me know that she needed some storage solutions out there for all the fabric that she has.

Initially, she wanted me to build this really elaborate wall unit thing that would have been really expensive and time consuming.  So, I introduced her to the French cleat system and we talked about the pros and cons.  To my surprise, she liked the idea and asked when I could get started..  I promptly told her right after I finish your spice rack ?

So, first row of cleats in and the first 3 boxed built.  Of course, in some scrap walnut that I just happened to have on hand...lol. For the record, I'm getting pretty close to the end of that pile!  Good thing the year is nearly over so I can get another pile like I did last year!  She really likes the sap wood and knots so, I left all those defects in.  No fancy joinery either, just glue and screws.  I'm sure there's a lot more boxes to go on this wall to come so, didn't want to suggest dovetails..lol. Finish is just a couple coats of ARS.

I'll post another pic when she get's them loaded with material..  No video on this one..  I think there plenty of videos out there on French cleats..lol

IMG_0908.thumb.jpeg.d71c6192b2c6b0458eb944601ffa5611.jpeg

• Like 5

Well, I jumped in and helped my wife start to get things organized..  Still a lot more to do!  Looks like she'll need 2 more of the bigger boxes which will probably be located below the smaller boxes.  She's also let me know that the gap between the boxes, she'd like some narrow boxes for smaller foldable scraps..  I'll probably build until the scrap pile is completely gone and then she'll have to wait until I get that next great deal...lol

IMG_0909.thumb.jpeg.18a705c4b15794e0b581c012cbd3bccf.jpeg

• Like 6

Well, her last request last night for this section officially wiped out the big chunks of scrap walnut that I had left on hand..  Still a few smaller chunks but, the shop is definitely thin on walnut....lol. The additions will be for smaller scraps that she folds to fit the space.

IMG_0910.thumb.jpeg.761c26280c8e5fed1ce7e8f71c912fe8.jpeg

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Jamie said:

So I showed my wife kevs wife’s quilt shop. Now Courtney thinks she needs half my shop. Thank @Kev

Maybe don't show her such pictures. ?  Oh well you are young you have time to learn.

• Haha 3

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

6 minutes ago, Coop said:

Just between us guys, did she really get half? I know my wife can’t read a tape! 

lol...  No..  But, she knew that going in too..

We simply worked out what she "needed" and what I "needed".  Her area is about 750 sq ft of the building (1800 sq ft) and it's more room than she needs.  I'm happy with my area but, wish I had more room.  

Now I say I wish I had more room but, with the layout that we set up more room would only give me more floor space which I don't need.  What I'd like is more wall space to toss in a couple extra pieces of equipment.  In order to accomplish this, I should have made the building a little wider.  It would have increased both of our spaces.  Just hard to justify that cost because I want to think about a shaper, sheet good vertical saw, or a CNC...  

Reality is that if I really wanted any of those items, I would find the room for it.  They're just not high on my priority list.

20 hours ago, Kev said:

Now I say I wish I had more room

If I were to add anything to what you have it would be a dedicated spray/finish room.  I would really like to just roll a project into a booth and shoot the finish as apposed to finishing a project sweep and vacuum everything then put drop cloths on all the tools and spray.  And of course you can't use the shop for anything else for the three or more days it takes to do the finishing process.

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus