Title of the document

2022 garage shop updates …

Bushwacked

11 hours ago, Coop said:

BW, I forget, does the outside box house a dc canister? Theater cnc  is a neat deal! 

no, just a straight pipe down with nothing .. still waiting on Kev to test his sound dampener out 😉 , that would be the only thing I would add to it. I dont mind the dust, a quick water/mow will get rid of most of it.

13 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

no, just a straight pipe down with nothing .. still waiting on Kev to test his sound dampener out 😉 , that would be the only thing I would add to it. I dont mind the dust, a quick water/mow will get rid of most of it.

I didn't get the chance before I left even though it was on my agenda..  I still think I have the wrong size but, it will have to wait until I get home..

I did take a look at it though and noticed it has acoustic foam on the inside..  Admittedly, I have a concern with that material coming in contact with dust and clogging but, we'll see when I actually put one in use and test it..

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, Kev said:

You're doing the same as I am with the finishes for now.  Ultimately, I'd like to have a fireproof cabinet for that stuff..

Looking good!

Thanks! 

hah! Ya I have just never seen a great solution out there that would fit my area. 

what kind of fire proof cabinets have you looked into? Not a bad idea there … 

while cleaning and working on the other 2 cabinets I had an epiphany … what if this other cabinet turns into my hand tool wall cabinet for awhile … take out the shelves so it’s a big open box. Could toss my big woodpecker squares and straight edges up there too. Build it to personally fit each tool. Would have plenty of room for expansion too. Maybe even have a slider door in it that would cover like 3/8 of a side when fully over. Inset some so it’s not sticking out. Not sure how to go about adding something like that after the fact … any ideas on that one about products that are out there? Or maybe just build a wooden track and just add it in there. 

79772EDD-FFA4-44C5-A73D-627320AE1111.thumb.jpeg.6848ad42b6d73594f6dad814234e877d.jpeg

48 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

Thanks! 

hah! Ya I have just never seen a great solution out there that would fit my area. 

what kind of fire proof cabinets have you looked into? Not a bad idea there … 

while cleaning and working on the other 2 cabinets I had an epiphany … what if this other cabinet turns into my hand tool wall cabinet for awhile … take out the shelves so it’s a big open box. Could toss my big woodpecker squares and straight edges up there too. Build it to personally fit each tool. Would have plenty of room for expansion too. Maybe even have a slider door in it that would cover like 3/8 of a side when fully over. Inset some so it’s not sticking out. Not sure how to go about adding something like that after the fact … any ideas on that one about products that are out there? Or maybe just build a wooden track and just add it in there. 

79772EDD-FFA4-44C5-A73D-627320AE1111.thumb.jpeg.6848ad42b6d73594f6dad814234e877d.jpeg

The issue with the fireproof cabinets is the price tag..  They are crazy expensive!

As for your cabinet, you just have to think about how it fits into your flow.  Does placing a hand tool cabinet there work well with where you'd be doing hand tool work?  Another thing to consider is where to store all that stuff that is currently there.

Without actually being there and assessing in total, it's just hard to offer advice.  I count steps.  What ever I use most at a particular location lives the fewest steps away.  Sometimes that means you need to make homes for it and sometimes the home is already there.  Sometimes it means you have to make decisions about how much you actually use something or if you even need something..  I've moved a bunch of stuff on making those hard decisions..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kev said:

The issue with the fireproof cabinets is the price tag..  They are crazy expensive!

As for your cabinet, you just have to think about how it fits into your flow.  Does placing a hand tool cabinet there work well with where you'd be doing hand tool work?  Another thing to consider is where to store all that stuff that is currently there.

Without actually being there and assessing in total, it's just hard to offer advice.  I count steps.  What ever I use most at a particular location lives the fewest steps away.  Sometimes that means you need to make homes for it and sometimes the home is already there.  Sometimes it means you have to make decisions about how much you actually use something or if you even need something..  I've moved a bunch of stuff on making those hard decisions..

ah. Ya I figured they would probably be a pretty penny. 

Currently it would be on the other side of where the workbench would be … however I am pretty sure I could flip the tablesaw and workbench/outfeed table to where it would be right behind me and 1-2 steps away vs 7-8 steps or so. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kev said:

Isn't that where the miter saw goes?

At one time yes it was … part of the convo about moving it got lost. 

mainly moving it to clear up room around the bandsaw and the back of the garage. I don’t use the miter saw enough to warrant it taking up that room. So going to make a mobile base for it I can pull out that and the saw when needed. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

At one time yes it was … part of the convo about moving it got lost. 

mainly moving it to clear up room around the bandsaw and the back of the garage. I don’t use the miter saw enough to warrant it taking up that room. So going to make a mobile base for it I can pull out that and the saw when needed. 

I'll be honest, I just can't imagine doing a project without my miter saw..  Hope it works out for you!  I just couldn't imagine a shop without it..

• Like 1

On 1/13/2023 at 7:53 PM, Kev said:

I just can't imagine doing a project without my miter saw..

I have gotten too were I hardly use mine on projects of the furniture nature.  I come real close to moving it to the shed every now and then but it is the 12 inch Bosch and real heavy so it would be a challenge to move it out when needed for home stuff.  I sure wouldn't mind having the footprint that it takes up though.

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

On 1/13/2023 at 9:53 PM, Kev said:

I'll be honest, I just can't imagine doing a project without my miter saw..  Hope it works out for you!  I just couldn't imagine a shop without it..

are you using it for precise cuts though? Or where does yours get the most use?

Mine will still be there, just stored under the CnC and rolled out when needed.

2 hours ago, Bushwacked said:

are you using it for precise cuts though? Or where does yours get the most use?

Mine will still be there, just stored under the CnC and rolled out when needed.

Yes, I do more precision work on mine and less breakdown.

• Like 1

I was just looking at fireproof cabinets on Uline.  I did a quick measurement of the space my stuff takes.  They have on that is 17' X 17" X 22" for $635 or $725 with the self closing door.😮

• Sad 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

Yea, that's what I was kind of thinking but it is probably required in some businesses or municipalities.

• Like 1

One of our product lines was flammable storage cabinets and cans by Justrite. One day, we had an insurance inspector do a survey and he found several cans of solvent and spray paint on some wooden shelves and asked to get a proper cabinet. Since the ones we sold were so expensive, I fudged and bought something like this, bought 2 ea. 4” dia vents for the sides and got a flammable decal for the front. Not only did it pass his inspection but also from a surprise visit from a fire marshal a few months later. Still being used to this day.

https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/global-industrial-153-counter-height-emergency-preparedness-cabinet-36-wx18-dx42-h-orange?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=CjwKCAiAzp6eBhByEiwA_gGq5I-LtCNb8IeyQGbIzBIDl8IP6UEQXiLSCgzZz8UHzXD6r46sT9q3MRoCUoAQAvD_BwE

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Coop said:

One of our product lines was flammable storage cabinets and cans by Justrite. One day, we had an insurance inspector do a survey and he found several cans of solvent and spray paint on some wooden shelves and asked to get a proper cabinet. Since the ones we sold were so expensive, I fudged and bought something like this, bought 2 ea. 4” dia vents for the sides and got a flammable decal for the front. Not only did it pass his inspection but also from a surprise visit from a fire marshal a few months later. Still being used to this day.

https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/global-industrial-153-counter-height-emergency-preparedness-cabinet-36-wx18-dx42-h-orange?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=CjwKCAiAzp6eBhByEiwA_gGq5I-LtCNb8IeyQGbIzBIDl8IP6UEQXiLSCgzZz8UHzXD6r46sT9q3MRoCUoAQAvD_BwE

Thanks!  That's a bunch better on the price tag!

13 hours ago, Coop said:

Hah! nice play there :) 

• 1 month later...