Title of the document

2022 garage shop updates …

Bushwacked

Plans so far and ideas floating around … 

- update dust collection

- new DC more semi-permanent runs 

- new tool (bandsaw) 

- tablesaw storage cart

- working on some type of dust collection for miter station 

- storage under CnC ( what makes sense to store under there?) 

- organization … just for you Kev haha  we will see if ‘22 is the year 🤣

• Haha 1

Updating Dust Collection-

To kick it off I need to get this done to clear up room for bandsaw .. 

cutting hole in the barrel for my expensive dust bin full alert 🚨. Just need to be sure to peak at it from time to time 

62BCB03C-16D8-4DF9-B466-D8807674675D.thumb.jpeg.05a31eaed4cc269cbda694ce5c58b6ce.jpeg

bolted the plexiglass over it. Then applied silicone around the inside window from the inside and the around the outer edges on the outside. Hoping it’s enough to keep it sealed and once it dries I’ll trim off some of the excess on the inside to help clear up the window more. 

2AD89B1C-9B31-4B48-88B0-E498B3E30016.thumb.jpeg.f56cb9d72fbc226571bda0b4d360a1d2.jpeg

got the DC pulled apart … marking out mounting holes on the plywood base. Kind of curious .. I was thinking about using 2 3/4 pieces glued together to help strengthen it and keep it from pulling apart when hung on the wall. Thoughts on that one? 

CE12533E-0657-407D-97D8-564FCB779557.thumb.jpeg.388048a19fab6b174bbefad7efae2bb8.jpeg

• Like 1

Looking forward to seeing your shop grow this year!  As for storage under the CNC, since I don't own one this is a good question!  My first thought could be a cabinet to keep things you use there close at hand.  Maybe some enclosure for the computer bits?  Speaking of bits, yea, house them too... 😉

DC is looking great!  I'm with @Coop on the ply..  Provided it's good and secure to the studs you should be good.  However, doubling it up wouldn't be wrong either..  Really depends on your comfort level.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Coop said:

Your ballgame but wouldn’t it be easier to mount the ply to the wall first, then screw the motor to the ply?

I debated that, but wasnt sure how well the bolts would grab into the ply and almost all of the bolt locations are in goofy areas where I cant get the impact driver to. So I figured it would be easier to just need to get 4 lag bolts into the studs where I do have easy access to.

8 hours ago, Bushwacked said:

I debated that, but wasnt sure how well the bolts would grab into the ply and almost all of the bolt locations are in goofy areas where I cant get the impact driver to. So I figured it would be easier to just need to get 4 lag bolts into the studs where I do have easy access to.

I think you're both right..

I'd locate those holes for the motor and get them pilot drilled and then mount just the ply to the studs..  You only want to wrestle that thing once!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kev said:

I think you're both right..

I'd locate those holes for the motor and get them pilot drilled and then mount just the ply to the studs..  You only want to wrestle that thing once!

In your thoughts here ... what are you using to mount the motor to the ply/wall? Assuming whatever is is would be longer than 1 1/2" ?? so I added the wall to it ...

I would, like Kev said, mark and pre-drill your holes. Then set some 1/4” t-nuts into the backside of your ply and attach the ply to the wall. Secure the motor with 1/4” bolts and washers. If the motor ever needs to come down, you can do so without removing the ply. Looks like you have spaces for 8 bolts. 

12 hours ago, Bushwacked said:

In your thoughts here ... what are you using to mount the motor to the ply/wall? Assuming whatever is is would be longer than 1 1/2" ?? so I added the wall to it ...

Lags with washers and lock washers.  Now, if you can get to the back side then it would be bolts/nuts with washers and lock washers.  Sized appropriately for the holes in the machine to help cut down with vibration.  If you're going with Lags, you can go longer just know what's in the wall behind where those lags land.  In the end, unless you have ply on the walls, you don't get much support by being much longer.

12 hours ago, Coop said:

I would, like Kev said, mark and pre-drill your holes. Then set some 1/4” t-nuts into the backside of your ply and attach the ply to the wall. Secure the motor with 1/4” bolts and washers. If the motor ever needs to come down, you can do so without removing the ply. Looks like you have spaces for 8 bolts. 

Was thinking of doing this and the reason I went with 2 sheets of ply ... 

1 hour ago, Kev said:

Lags with washers and lock washers.  Now, if you can get to the back side then it would be bolts/nuts with washers and lock washers.  Sized appropriately for the holes in the machine to help cut down with vibration.  If you're going with Lags, you can go longer just know what's in the wall behind where those lags land.  In the end, unless you have ply on the walls, you don't get much support by being much longer.

So, nothing would be behind the motor in the wall, the electrical is in another section over. So the lags would really be going through 2 sheets of ply (the motor base) and then 1 more sheet of ply (the wall) then into just void space.

5 hours ago, Bushwacked said:

So, nothing would be behind the motor in the wall, the electrical is in another section over. So the lags would really be going through 2 sheets of ply (the motor base) and then 1 more sheet of ply (the wall) then into just void space.

I would probably be using 2" to 2 1/2".  Keeping in mind the thickness of all the materials to include the machine base and washers.

• Like 1

I just realized that in another thread, you were contemplating routing this thru your ceiling and out the soffit? So you decided to go directly thru the wall? Nice cut. 

Oh, by the way, your HOA has contacted me and I’m sure others on here about dust generated by this type of system. In your defense, I told them that it was done all of the time. I don’t think she was happy with my answer. 😀😀

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Coop said:

I just realized that in another thread, you were contemplating routing this thru your ceiling and out the soffit? So you decided to go directly thru the wall? Nice cut. 

Oh, by the way, your HOA has contacted me and I’m sure others on here about dust generated by this type of system. In your defense, I told them that it was done all of the time. I don’t think she was happy with my answer. 😀😀

Yea, if you let that thing overfill, all your neighbors will be calling..  Where I'm at, I laugh and call myself some choice names for allowing it to happen.  Then, I get the leaf blower out and clean up the mess..

I didn’t realize that you have a 3/4” ply wall to mount the motor to. Now you have 3 ea. 3/4” ply. Bezos’s launch pad isn’t that thick! Screw it down and move on to the important and expensive stuff, the duct work. I just finished my re-location of my dc system and the hard piping and I love it. Sure makes woodworking more enjoyable. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Coop said:

I didn’t realize that you have a 3/4” ply wall to mount the motor to. Now you have 3 ea. 3/4” ply. Bezos’s launch pad isn’t that thick! Screw it down and move on to the important and expensive stuff, the duct work. I just finished my re-location of my dc system and the hard piping and I love it. Sure makes woodworking more enjoyable. 

@Coop!  That's awesome!  Looking forward to seeing it!  I knew it would make an appreciable difference in your woodworking experience!

15 hours ago, Coop said:

15 hours ago, Kev said:

Yea, if you let that thing overfill, all your neighbors will be calling..  Where I'm at, I laugh and call myself some choice names for allowing it to happen.  Then, I get the leaf blower out and clean up the mess..

LOL! I cant wait to see what kind of dust comes flying out. I am curious on noise level of it blowing out there too .. think that will piss off the older neighbors more than dust haha 

14 hours ago, Coop said:

You dont remember my garage update thread from like '20? 😞 But yes, 3 of the 4 walls are 3/4 ply to make mounting anything and everything easier.

Awesome to hear!! Do you have some before and after's of the new setup on here yet?

My unit was/is mounted on a mobile stand and was connected to my machines by a single 25’ x 4” hose and was moved each time I changed from one to another. It has a 2’ x 4’ footprint and I left it on the stand and relocated it into a room off of my shop area. I didn’t want to wall mount it in case it didn’t work satisfactory and needed to be replaced. I bought an anemometer to measure before and after. With the hose extended the full 25’, i was getting 43.4 mph. With it hard piped, it dropped to 38.7 mph at the farthest machine which is the drum sander. The long piece along the back wall near the ceiling, in the second pic, is an extra piece that I need to take back to HD and is not part of the layout.

A6E9109A-2AF1-4F50-B9CE-6D7873E18E34.thumb.jpeg.38c920961d7b54f619851bb930954ad7.jpeg96C25721-BAE7-42E0-9C16-B52486C76635.thumb.jpeg.c76c40083e73874b8f2c9140ec1804b7.jpeg

• Like 1

I edge jointed 10 ea. 8’ construction grade 2 x4 studs  for a friend yesterday and it captured all of the chips and dust. The jointer is the machine closest to the dc. I used the band saw ( second closest) today for about 10 minutes continuously and no visible dust. My Jet ts ( third in line) has always been notorious about having to clean the dust from inside the cabinet so I suspect I will have to continue to do so. Last in line is the drum sander and as all is dust here and not chips, I suspect it will be fine. So no, I don’t foresee any problems due to lose of velocity. All in all, I used exactly 40’ of the 4” sewer pipe, 4 wyes, 15 45* ells, and approx 35’ of 4” flex hose. 

Gee-dub on WTO has a thread on his new shop and I used his idea on the wood support/hangers. The toggle bolts that he shows, I have used before and will never use the old standard ones again. They are a little more expensive but SO darn convenient and easy to use. HD carries them. I also copied the white tape that he used, from Amazon, and it works really well. As all of my 45* ells formed a 90*, I did pvc glue them together with a close nip, but all other connections are just snug fit and taped. I only had trouble sourcing one fitting, from the 4” flex hose coming from the fiber drum to the sewer pipe and I ordered it from Rockler. Gee-dub’s idea of using a plumb bob to locate the down drops came in handy as well. I chose the metal self cleaning blast gates from Rockler as they were a little more substantial than their plastic ones, no other reason. 

6 hours ago, Bushwacked said:

LOL! I cant wait to see what kind of dust comes flying out. I am curious on noise level of it blowing out there too .. think that will piss off the older neighbors more than dust haha 

The noise level outside my shop is negligible at best..

4 hours ago, Coop said:

My unit was/is mounted on a mobile stand and was connected to my machines by a single 25’ x 4” hose and was moved each time I changed from one to another. It has a 2’ x 4’ footprint and I left it on the stand and relocated it into a room off of my shop area. I didn’t want to wall mount it in case it didn’t work satisfactory and needed to be replaced. I bought an anemometer to measure before and after. With the hose extended the full 25’, i was getting 43.4 mph. With it hard piped, it dropped to 38.7 mph at the farthest machine which is the drum sander. The long piece along the back wall near the ceiling, in the second pic, is an extra piece that I need to take back to HD and is not part of the layout.

Nice!  No more moving machine to machine!

2 hours ago, Bushwacked said:

very nice Coop!! Will the 43 to 38 drop in suction actually be noticeable? 

2 hours ago, Coop said:

I edge jointed 10 ea. 8’ construction grade 2 x4 studs  for a friend yesterday and it captured all of the chips and dust. The jointer is the machine closest to the dc. I used the band saw ( second closest) today for about 10 minutes continuously and no visible dust. My Jet ts ( third in line) has always been notorious about having to clean the dust from inside the cabinet so I suspect I will have to continue to do so. Last in line is the drum sander and as all is dust here and not chips, I suspect it will be fine. So no, I don’t foresee any problems due to lose of velocity. All in all, I used exactly 40’ of the 4” sewer pipe, 4 wyes, 15 45* ells, and approx 35’ of 4” flex hose. 

I was really concerned about the drum sander to be honest.  I intentionally kept it fairly close to my DC.  I probably did a great deal of over thinking about it though..

I will try the drum sander out tomorrow and give it a test run. Due to logistics, the ds will always be further away from the new dc location but my thoughts are that it easier to raise dust than heavier chips? I don’t know if that holds true? More surface area vs lighter weight. 

I do know from the two machines that I have used, there is no dust in the clear plastic bag, as it all collected in the fiber drum. Time will tell. 

• Like 2