Title of the document

2022 garage shop updates …

Bushwacked

6 hours ago, Bushwacked said:

I was thinking about doing a double layer with a gap in the middle with those tiles as well to possibly make it even better. Hopefully will have a good amount of it finished up tomorrow to hopefully get a test on it

This is a great idea but, I'd use thinner rigid insulation with a lathing strip between to create an air gap.  Air gaps like that are really good for sound proofing!

5 minutes ago, Coop said:

So you’re still stuck in LA? I was checking temps in Kalispell and it’s going to be darn cold there next week.

Yea, I'll be here until early April..  Just finished one job and have one more to go..

It's the right time of year to be cold in Kalispell...lol

I'm actually looking forward to being there long enough to actually enjoy the 4 seasons..  lol

• Like 1

On 2/15/2022 at 4:10 PM, Bushwacked said:

Got some more work done on it … 

0B19A9DF-D698-448D-8ED9-5DD2068BAA35.thumb.jpeg.c5e17cc9959cfdfaf1d820cbd878d6e0.jpeg

0E8A1B37-A582-4EBA-A5AE-DB655BF75DA4.thumb.jpeg.701419c7059ee2cab57a78422f36cbff.jpeg

1BF220B9-75FD-40F6-AB29-F9BE15C94125.thumb.jpeg.615391475dbbeb16325cbb9e1f5212ca.jpeg

then started on my super silencer box build 🤣 .... It had been so long since I worked with HD 2x6 pine, cant say I missed it. cupped/twisted/garbage and those were the straight ones haha. I had 1 board, THANKFULLY, I took to the bandsaw after it gave me some issue on the tablesaw that blew apart the last 6-8 inches there was so much stress. Put them back together after that, there was like a 3" gap in the widest middle part of the boards

E615AEF5-1164-4C56-9E19-A1A25DED236F.thumb.jpeg.a64e9e5b67b14563340f8f90a497b0fa.jpeg

without dust collection it’s such a dang mess after just a little cutting. It’s crazy!! 

Been on kid duty almost all day so my brain is a little bit fried, but the box is to encluse the DC motor to reduce noise I'm assuming... If so, have you considered using MDF?  I know most subwoofer boxes, at least for vehicles, are made out of MDF due to noise (but I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing for this situation, which is the reason why I'm asking).  Thanks for your input!

15 minutes ago, theduke said:

Been on kid duty almost all day so my brain is a little bit fried, but the box is to encluse the DC motor to reduce noise I'm assuming... If so, have you considered using MDF?  I know most subwoofer boxes, at least for vehicles, are made out of MDF due to noise (but I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing for this situation, which is the reason why I'm asking).  Thanks for your input!

so, I am sure @Kev can go way deeper on the MDF application and all that based on his experiences .. I dont really know much about that.

However, the box I am making is actually to reduce the exhaust sound. The motor is actually not that loud compared to the exhaust. So that is where I am attacking this first. 

On 2/19/2022 at 4:57 PM, Kev said:

I was so intrigued by the "muffler" that I ordered one for my system..  Going to give it a test drive when I get home..  Will probably be a little late for your needs but, just wanted to toss it out there..

I might even take a look at this as well. the first couple tests with the box were not all that great. I do have some gaps on the sides which I am thinking about filling, but thinking now if its even worth it as its still pretty loud. the panels did not cut out 50% or even close haha. 

So that is why I may give that muffler a shot and see how that goes. 

12 hours ago, Bushwacked said:

so, I am sure @Kev can go way deeper on the MDF application and all that based on his experiences .. I dont really know much about that.

However, the box I am making is actually to reduce the exhaust sound. The motor is actually not that loud compared to the exhaust. So that is where I am attacking this first. 

@Bushwacked, happy to help with the answer..  Although I don't consider myself an expert, I did a lot of research and actually applied the concepts..

13 hours ago, theduke said:

Subwoofer boxes are made from MDF because it's cheap.  The "sounds" that come out of a sub are a mono tone so, are not slowed down by standard construction materials.  The only thing you and do with those mono tones is to redirect the bouncing frequencies as many times as possible until they dissipate. This is also why most sub boxes have different shapes. Think of someone in a car with the bass turned up and that's the only thing you can hear 6 cars away. You know the rest of the music has to be loud as well.   All of the higher pitched frequencies are completely reduced by the materials of the car but, the bass tones completely come through.  It's these mono tones that are the ones carrying farther than BW wants.

I hope that helps?  Good luck with the kiddos!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Coop said:

Have you gotten to the dc piping to your machines yet? That would be my biggest concern before you put good money on a muffler. Make sure your system is adequate. 

I hooked up the CNC for a few run and its working beautifully for that ... I started working on the ducting for the garage, but need 1 damn piece no HD had in stock around my area so had to order it and should be here tomorrow. Hoping to get everything installed and hooked up by this weekend?? depends on how cold it is in the garage and if I feel like doing it haha.

4 hours ago, Kev said:

@Bushwacked, happy to help with the answer..  Although I don't consider myself an expert, I did a lot of research and actually applied the concepts..

Subwoofer boxes are made from MDF because it's cheap.  The "sounds" that come out of a sub are a mono tone so, are not slowed down by standard construction materials.  The only thing you and do with those mono tones is to redirect the bouncing frequencies as many times as possible until they dissipate. This is also why most sub boxes have different shapes. Think of someone in a car with the bass turned up and that's the only thing you can hear 6 cars away. You know the rest of the music has to be loud as well.   All of the higher pitched frequencies are completely reduced by the materials of the car but, the bass tones completely come through.  It's these mono tones that are the ones carrying farther than BW wants.

I hope that helps?  Good luck with the kiddos!

Wow!  That's impressive to know all of that I think randomly!  Thanks!

17 hours ago, Bushwacked said:

Well, I'm still at the planning stages with my DC (I got a super good deal on CL for a HF 2 HP DC that's in 10 or so pieces so I wouldn't know I suppose which is louder) so learning vicariously through you right now)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, theduke said:

Well, I'm still at the planning stages with my DC (I got a super good deal on CL for a HF 2 HP DC that's in 10 or so pieces so I wouldn't know I suppose which is louder) so learning vicariously through you right now)

hah! all good ... I too was super surprised at how loud the exhaust was over the motor .. 

4 hours ago, theduke said:

Wow!  That's impressive to know all of that I think randomly!  Thanks!

Not completely randomly..lol. My original shop was built by me as a recording studio.  So, I had a lot of research into sound proofing and controlling standing waves in a room as that's what causes microphone feedback.

Been working on this between my down time on current project … 

starting to get more ducting ran. Almost there on this. Hose should be arriving today and I should be able to finish off the tablesaw and bandsaw … then when I get more time during a glue up I will try and finish the CnC run. 

BFC96446-AA47-463F-808A-F688F336FE49.thumb.jpeg.8de9907bacb9a5c1f33784efb0a02d08.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bushwacked said:

Been working on this between my down time on current project … 

starting to get more ducting ran. Almost there on this. Hose should be arriving today and I should be able to finish off the tablesaw and bandsaw … then when I get more time during a glue up I will try and finish the CnC run. 

BFC96446-AA47-463F-808A-F688F336FE49.thumb.jpeg.8de9907bacb9a5c1f33784efb0a02d08.jpeg

Nice work!  It's pictures like these that make me wish my garage ceiling was a little bit shorter than 10' so I wouldn't have to be so worried whenever I get around to doing this.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, theduke said:

Nice work!  It's pictures like these that make me wish my garage ceiling was a little bit shorter than 10' so I wouldn't have to be so worried whenever I get around to doing this.

lol I wish I had 10' ceilings ... cant count the times I have hit the ceiling while moving longer boards around haha 

• Thanks 1

Got a little extra time … 

got bandsaw hooked up … 

C825D6BA-C8A1-47CB-B379-85A7E619ACEB.thumb.jpeg.3c41fe19f9b12bd323c9221cb7705a65.jpeg

what it would look like when in use … 

CA0BA8E0-2186-4F4A-A390-5D0F0C074F66.thumb.jpeg.8f8d366adcfa50e8be4a061ba2f173b5.jpeg

79DEFF3E-BB1E-4C3F-8D19-CD8FC3DDADDB.thumb.jpeg.a102d80d715a2da8ca7236da6b496dff.jpeg

how the main line runs in the middle

also … my main thought was I could move the middle hose around and connect to bandsaw when needed since it won’t be in use much. However I’m debating it on running a line over there anyways so it will have its own run … then the tablesaw run will only need to be pulled off for the planer when needed. 

E5AC940E-9363-4F72-AD2A-E09B38CE6CBF.thumb.jpeg.8eecde509747054d0edf247c9b318434.jpeg

also, this monstrosity is done for now .. at least until I get the inside runs done … 

51EB1727-77E4-43ED-B88C-880C7893B51D.thumb.jpeg.242cab2d877e7c593d8d893e61c8469b.jpeg

can’t wait to hear your thoughts on the duct silencer thing Kev! Think that would look way better than this if it would actually work on its own. 

• Like 2

I have a couple thoughts..

1.  I would try and run your hard pipe further to increase the efficiency of your DC.  If it's even possible for you?

2.  I would run a drop for each machine and just add a Y and a couple blast gates.  This way you're not moving hoses around when you want to use a tool.  I would do this for the planer as well.  

3.  The "monstrosity" might look a little better with some brick veneering on it? Or at a minimum painted.

All in all, it's coming along nicely!

• Like 1

On 3/5/2022 at 5:58 AM, Kev said:

I have a couple thoughts..

1.  I would try and run your hard pipe further to increase the efficiency of your DC.  If it's even possible for you?

2.  I would run a drop for each machine and just add a Y and a couple blast gates.  This way you're not moving hoses around when you want to use a tool.  I would do this for the planer as well.  

3.  The "monstrosity" might look a little better with some brick veneering on it? Or at a minimum painted.

All in all, it's coming along nicely!

1) I was thinking about that ..

The table saw cant get much more hard pipe due to garage door and would be in the way for cuts since I cant get the ducting to the far right of the table saw without reorganizing machines. Basically turning table saw 180 and putting it where the outfeed/ work table is now and then moving that where the table saw is. Maybe something to look into?? 

For the jointer, I could easily do that, but was thinking its so close to the collector I am not sure that would actually matter and be worth the trouble?? 

For the bandsaw area .. this would probably help the most due to the distance away, but I just need to get the drop over there for now and see how it goes with the flex hose. My main thing with that is having a hard pipe a couple feet in front of the wood rack my be a pain. It is already interesting trying to get longer boards off and I use a good deal of space trying to maneuver them out of there. (I will get a better picture of that area to show)

2) most is up top, but for the planer ... I was giving this some thought on how to go about this. I do have to move the planer out to the middle of the garage normally in the middle gap by the table saw to get the room to run boards and then power as well. With that, I  would need to use a flexis hose from the ceiling to connect it, then have some way of hanging it back up on the ceiling to get it out of the way. Have not seen much on easily strapping a flexi hose to the ceiling when not in use... I do agree, I am sure I will be getting annoyed on moving hoses after awhile, when 80% could have been solved during this setup 🙂 ... so working through some of the more iffy spots on how to handle it.

3) agreed, I just wanted to get it up and see if it even worked that well. Then finish the inside next before figuring out the aesthetics for that beast haha.

• Like 1

Coming along nicely. I’m sure I spent more on my 4” hose from Rockler than I should have but you have a fortune in hose, regardless of where you got it! 

Speaking of relocating your machines, it sounds like me. Each of mine are in the same location as I placed them as I bought them. I probably should have moved them all out and did so shop re-organization before running my duct work. But just moving my dc out of the middle of my shop helped tremendously. Like going from a standard size bed to a king. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Coop said:

Coming along nicely. I’m sure I spent more on my 4” hose from Rockler than I should have but you have a fortune in hose, regardless of where you got it! 

Speaking of relocating your machines, it sounds like me. Each of mine are in the same location as I placed them as I bought them. I probably should have moved them all out and did so shop re-organization before running my duct work. But just moving my dc out of the middle of my shop helped tremendously. Like going from a standard size bed to a king. 

My goodness the hoses are outrageously priced! 

yes putting my DC on the wall has been great!