Title of the document

Nightstands

Kev

Can I ask just briefly,  What is in this video and what would be in the second.  Are these two videos the only two pertaining to the actual construction of the night stands.  Milling if I remember is a totally separate video.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

On 5/28/2021 at 8:30 PM, Chet said:

Can I ask just briefly,  What is in this video and what would be in the second.  Are these two videos the only two pertaining to the actual construction of the night stands.  Milling if I remember is a totally separate video.

I'm happy to share these videos with you guys but, I'll try and describe.

The pictures that I showed a couple posts ago are where the project is currently at.  I ended up with 16 minutes of finished video to get there.. I'm not showing any milling.  So, what's in that?

• A bit of time around how the material selection paid off as I lay out how the parts went into  each piece.
  • A bit of time around the templates to create the curves
  • A bit of time around the deeper grooves in the upper side rails so that I can make square panels
  • Actually cutting the grooves - Talked about using a reference face against the fence on every piece.
  • Actually cutting the curves
  • Sanding the curves with a shop made flexible sanding strip
  • Laying out the dominos and the importance of multiple squares - Also a bit of time around how I set the squares up
  • A bit of time around marking your joints so you can reassemble later
  • Cutting the dominos - Very little time here as it's the domino
  • Dry fit - I did a speed up on this!
  • Locating the leg grooves - Mainly discussed
  • Measuring for the panels - only discussed
  • Gluing up the tops - I did a speed up on this!
  • Gluing up the dust panels - Only discussed, didn't actually show

As for the second video, I'm not sure I can get it all in but, this is what's left

• Cutting the leg grooves - I'll be using the double edge guide
  • Fitting the panels - cutting the panels off camera
  • Cutting the leg notches for the dust panel - Probably a shop made jig here.
  • Tapering the feet
  • Sanding and glue up of the carcass
  • Support strips for the bottom slats
  • Slats
  • Building the drawers - same construction as the other furniture - Making dowels
  • Adding the structure on the inside of the carcass to attach the glides
  • Installing the drawer hardware - I'm going to show some tricks to avoid the Blum jigs here
  • Fitting and installing the drawers
  • Making/fitting drawer fronts - Top drawer fronts (top) are curved so, templates are needed - Also, use of the pull locations to temporarily mount the drawer fronts
  • Installing Pulls
  • Edge detail on the tops to match the chest of drawers
  • Some time around detailing how to install figure 8's to mount the top
  • Installation of the power outlets in the tops
  • What ever little details I didn't think of and prep for finish.

Yea, where you are looks like a good place to split the videos by making it two not one and like Bryan said doing two would give you a video in your cache if the next trip needs it.  

I think you have some nice detail in the list above I think the 15 minutes of each two videos will go by pretty quick for the viewer.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

3 minutes ago, Chet said:

Yea, where you are looks like a good place to split the videos by making it two not one and like Bryan said doing two would give you a video in your cache if the next trip needs it.  

I think you have some nice detail in the list above I think the 15 minutes of each two videos will go by pretty quick for the viewer.

I'm attempting to drop a lot more detail in this project but, it's extremely time consuming!

Frankly, I'm not sure if I can fit what's left in one video but, I'm going to try!  There's some steps in there that will take me a bit of shop time but, should be fairly quick on video.

As for the cache, this video won't be seen until September...lol. I've done well on the bank while at home..

Well, the dogs got me up early this morning since mom wasn't here to feed them...lol

During their after breakfast nap, I managed to get them broke down, all the panels cut to rough size, and set up for the grooves in the legs..  And I still haven't shot the opening footage to the second video...lol

And yes, the AM ply was in the back of the pile so I had to move everything!  I think I keep too much small ply scrap!

2 hours ago, Kev said:

I think I keep too much small ply scrap!

I got tired of moving and knocking over smaller pieces of ply to get to the other so I culled the pile.  I got too heavy handed, a month latter had to cut some off a large piece to make a jig for the nightstand project. 

Cleaning out the wood racks can be a real Catch 22.

1 hour ago, Chet said:

I got tired of moving and knocking over smaller pieces of ply to get to the other so I culled the pile.  I got too heavy handed, a month latter had to cut some off a large piece to make a jig for the nightstand project. 

Cleaning out the wood racks can be a real Catch 22.

Indeed..

I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to notch these legs for this project and gluing a jig as we speak..  Maybe I need to go back and watch my dresser build to see what the hell I did there....lol

Edit:  Now I've built the jig that works..  I just need to figure out how to explain it on camera...lmao..

The notches are complete!  Don't let that pencil line fool you..  That was just my line up mark for the jig and every one is exactly the same.

IMG_1273.thumb.jpeg.0d0e1f5429f5f7659e85ab1b200ef274.jpeg

I also got the side assemblies sanded/glued up with their panels!  I'll let that cure for a couple hours and then dry fit, measure for the dust frames, and (hopefully) get the carcasses glued up tonight..

IMG_1274.thumb.jpeg.f07c26e4cb0ab9f06ec8447798ca7036.jpeg

• Like 2

Done for the day, time to let things cure up!

Dry fit for the back panel and measurements for the dust frame..

IMG_1275.thumb.jpeg.13fc3706d6d9c6e8a0f5c2ff89be21ff.jpeg

Test fit of the dust frame after notching the front and cutting to size.

IMG_1276.thumb.jpeg.aeb38534c44145a29e701bf2af928dce.jpeg

And finally, both glued up to sit for the night..

IMG_1277.thumb.jpeg.2494ba92d7386462046a1dcdd7c6f860.jpeg

I very quickly realized what a PITA those slatted shelves are going to be!

Ugg..  Just finished up my editing and I'm at 10 minutes in the second video..  Not sure if I can do drawers, drawer fronts, slats, and a top in 5 finished minutes...lol. I may extend this one to cover it..

35 minutes ago, Coop said:

Will the slatted shelf have it’s own frame or will the slats tie into the existing stretchers?

They're going to have to have their own frame as there's no way I can install them with the space that's left..  I should have realized this little detail in the design process..

And not sure I read this correctly but are the last pics of dry fit or glued up? 

I have done slatted shelves two ways. One, with the frame and slats Dominoed/m&t’s, and also, construct a frame where the frame is notched and the slats are half lapped and drop into the frame. 

6 minutes ago, Coop said:

And not sure I read this correctly but are the last pics of dry fit or glued up? 

I have done slatted shelves two ways. One, with the frame and slats Dominoed/m&t’s, and also, construct a frame where the frame is notched and the slats are half lapped and drop into the frame. 

The original plan was to just install some strips around the bottom rails to support the slats.  However, after installing the dust frame, I don't have the needed room to secure those slats with pins or screws.  So, I think I'm going to have to build the slatted shelf on the bench and then install it into the bottom of the nightstand..  I hope that makes sense?

How much clearance will you have above the shelf. With all due respect, is it worth it? 

It's a fair question...lol

Will end up being about 6 inches and my wife wants slats..lol

I'll probably just build a frame to fit the inside rails and then install it from the bottom..

That’s a video in itself! Buenos Suerte! 

Yea, I'm already struggling with this one and its length...lol. I'm 10 minutes of finished video at the last picture and there's a lot to do!

1 minute ago, Coop said:

JMO, but I would rather see and learn more from a longer video rather than cut it short and wonder. BTW, appreciate the detail in all of your videos.

I don't have an issue with running this one long, there's just a lot to cover and maintain the amount of detail I've put into this one.

I've been crossing off of the list that I made in a response to @Chet..  There's a lot left but, not sure if it's 2 videos..  I'll just keep plugging away and see where the footage takes me but, my preference is to complete these in the next 5 minutes of video...lol. I really want to keep it at 2!

32 minutes ago, Kev said:

I really want to keep it at 2!

Why?

If you have enough stuff to make it three, why not do it.  Don't start cutting back on the detail now.  If you make it, people will watch it. 😄

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chet said:

Why?

If you have enough stuff to make it three, why not do it.  Don't start cutting back on the detail now.  If you make it, people will watch it. 😄

I don't intend on cutting back on the detail in this one but, there's also a point of diminishing returns...lol