Title of the document

Nightstands

Kev

I always make extra pieces but the only time I need them is when I fail to make extra pieces.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

16 minutes ago, Chet said:

I always make extra pieces but the only time I need them is when I fail to make extra pieces.

I didn't make any extra rail material but, if I needed to, it wouldn't take me but a few minutes to mill one of those.  The legs are a little different.

Decided to go take care of the templates tonight as well..  I had the blanks as part of the lumber selection video so was only a few minutes to cut the curves in them.

I probably won't use them for flush trimming but, I will use them for the layout lines..

IMG_1266.thumb.jpeg.88ef8e8d2e916707854f82c493cbfdd8.jpeg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Coop said:

For clarification or maybe discussion, what is the horizontal strip of wood directly below the bottom drawer called? 

I'm certainly open if anyone has a better term but, I would call it a dust frame.  A dust frame is different than a web frame as it's a solid panel.

1 minute ago, Coop said:

I’ll buy that. I didn’t know if it was just a single piece of wood, ie. stretcher or if it was in fact part of a solid panel.

In the case of these nightstands, they will be a solid panel.  BB ply edged with African Mahogany..

2 hours ago, Kev said:

I'm certainly open if anyone has a better term but, I would call it a dust frame.  A dust frame is different than a web frame as it's a solid panel.

My ninth grade shop teacher was real adamant about stuff like this so maybe this is why I remember it.  What Kev is doing is called a dust panel because it is a solid panel.  A dust frame is like a web frame with a thin panel in it, like a frame and panel door is constructed.  Of course this was back in the sixties so things could have changes by now.  

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

1 minute ago, Chet said:

My ninth grade shop teacher was real adamant about stuff like this so maybe this is why I remember it.  What Kev is doing is called a dust panel because it is a solid panel.  A dust frame is like a web frame with a thin panel in it, like a frame and panel door is constructed.  Of course this was back in the sixties so things could have changes by now.  

I can understand the difference but, why would anyone make a "panel" with a thinner center section vs just making one solid piece?  They perform exactly the same function.

1 minute ago, Kev said:

I can understand the difference but, why would anyone make a "panel" with a thinner center section vs just making one solid piece?  They perform exactly the same function.

It would change the weight, especially the bigger the piece gets.  

8 minutes ago, Chet said:

It would change the weight, especially the bigger the piece gets.  

I don't disagree with that statement either.  However, in a piece like my big chest of drawers (I left them open) I just don't see it making enough of a weight difference to add all the extra work to make the frame and panels.  This is beginning to sound more like a "tradition" thing..  It's certainly not wrong to do them in a frame/panel configuration, it just seems like a lot of extra work for nothing.  It's not seen and performs no additional function.

4 minutes ago, Kev said:

it just seems like a lot of extra work for nothing.

Yea I am sure there is some tradition but tradition can be a good thing.   I have a Queen Anne slant front desk sitting behind me that is 150 years old and it has panels not frames.  As far as a lot of extra work, I guess, but I enjoy the journey with things like this and making dovetail drawer slides so I don't think of it as a lot of extra work.

But bottom line is this, I am pretty sure that my shop teacher has passed but where ever he may be, if he heard me call what you are doing anything else then a dust panel he would still give me an F

• Like 2

Since I had to have my wife to the airport by 5am, I got a pretty early start in the shop today!  I'm sure I'll run out of gas a little earlier as well but, that's ok..

So far this morning, I've final milled all the rail stock, cut the grooves and curves, and then sanded those curves..

IMG_1268.thumb.jpeg.1682c840e9ee10e330a190130347286d.jpeg

Off to final mill the legs and start figuring out where the dominos live!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kev said:

Now I’m confused, which happens often. 😀 By solid piece, would this be a frame with the piece being ply of the same thickness or a piece made of solid wood pieces, laminated together to form one big piece? 

1 minute ago, Coop said:

Now I’m confused, which happens often. 😀 By solid piece, would this be a frame with the piece being ply of the same thickness or a piece made of solid wood pieces, laminated together to form one big piece? 

lol..  No..

What @Chet is saying is a frame with a thinner panel in the middle - Typical frame and panel.  What I'm saying is why not just use a solid piece to cut down one the work.  Neither way is wrong, one is just more labor intensive but, lightens the weight a little.

Update..

Got the legs all milled and all the domino locations marked on both nightstands!  This is really where having multiple squares set up that can be left that way for a bit really pays off!  Time to cut 64 dominos...lol. I should be able to get these into a first dry fit today!

IMG_1269.thumb.jpeg.a4ecade9ccbf1bf5ae37c8d882eb4ec4.jpeg

Just now, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

64 mortises cut and dry fit in a day.  Reason why the domino might be the biggest woodworking invention/game changer in the last 25 years.

Agreed!

Dry fit complete!  I'm going to glue up the tops and the decorative strip on the ply dust panel and call it a day!  I did get all the feet marked for their angled cuts as well as marked all the groove locations.  Oh, I marked the location for the dust panel as well..

IMG_1270.thumb.jpeg.eac1e53829077e72c32f7247a3357169.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Coop said:

Darn nice progress!

Thanks!  I'm done for today!  Early morning getting my wife to the airport has me a bit pooped for today..  I'll get after it again tomorrow..

Tops and dust panels glued up..

IMG_1271.thumb.jpeg.65aea57d575d0d06bc3430151554f0fb.jpeg

Leg notches and tapered feet, cut the panels, and hopefully glue up tomorrow..  That's a pretty ambitious list so, I'll just see how I do..

Question for the group...

I just finished up the rough edit on todays footage and I'm sitting at close to 15 minutes which is normally where I max out on my video length.  My question to the group is do I extent this video to the 1/2 hour length of the first 2 videos in this series to do I split them into 2 fifteen minute videos?

Thanks in advance!