Title of the document

Nightstands

Kev

Question for the group..

Would it be wrong to skip some details on the drawers and merely reference 2 of the other master bedroom furniture builds for more details about the construction?  These drawers are exactly the same construction as the other stuff in the room.

I'll still spend some time on video for the drawers but, I'm trying to save some time in this video as well.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Can you edit in the portion from the first video if construction is all the same?  I think you would be fine with a simple explanation and direct to other videos.

Yes, I keep all of my raw footage so I could certainly do that, just trying to save some finished video time.  I have to do the work and it's really not an issue to film it, I'm just concerned with the length this video is going to be..

Looks like I'll have a little time to think about this as the drawer glides I have on hand are the wrong size..  So, parts on order...lol

In the mean time, I'll do another milling on the drawer parts, install the filler blocks for the hardware, and possibly finish up the tops.

You showed it in the Chest of Drawers and the Desk was also the same wasn't it.  I would think referencing would be fine especially given the fact that it is all part of a big project for the same room.

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

33 minutes ago, Chet said:

You showed it in the Chest of Drawers and the Desk was also the same wasn't it.  I would think referencing would be fine especially given the fact that it is all part of a big project for the same room.

I tend to agree, might bump a few views there as well....lol

Well, I'm dead in the water for a few days..  Seems I didn't have the right sized glides on hand and I can't get them locally..  So, they're on order..

I did go ahead and finish up the tops and glue in the bottom filler blocks for the glides to mount to.  The profile on the top matches the one on the dresser - at least pretty close. 🤪.   I'm curious to see if I'm going o have enough room for the power outlets..  I'll know for sure once the drawers are in..

IMG_1279.thumb.jpeg.c075eb3fee35f773627a673fa0ccbdac.jpeg

I moved the second video list down here as well.  It helps me keep track and stay on task...lol

• Cutting the leg grooves - I'll be using the double edge guide
  • Fitting the panels - cutting the panels off camera
  • Cutting the leg notches for the dust panel - Probably a shop made jig here.
  • Tapering the feet
  • Sanding and glue up of the carcass
  • Support strips for the bottom slats
  • Slats
  • Building the drawers - same construction as the other furniture - Making dowels
  • Adding the structure on the inside of the carcass to attach the glides
  • Installing the drawer hardware - I'm going to show some tricks to avoid the Blum jigs here
  • Fitting and installing the drawers
  • Making/fitting drawer fronts - Top drawer fronts (top) are curved so, templates are needed - Also, use of the pull locations to temporarily mount the drawer fronts
  • Installing Pulls
  • Edge detail on the tops to match the chest of drawers
  • Some time around detailing how to install figure 8's to mount the top
  • Installation of the power outlets in the tops
  • What ever little details I didn't think of and prep for finish.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kev said:

I do wish I'd of refinished these!

I am sure you meant pre-finished.  This is something that I have started to had to my notes as I go along.  There were a number of things on my last project that I pre-finished and was really glad I did.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

2 minutes ago, Chet said:

I am sure you meant pre-finished.  This is something that I have started to had to my notes as I go along.  There were a number of things on my last project that I pre-finished and was really glad I did.

Yes, corrected now..  Damn auto correct...lol

I underestimated this part of the build in the design phase..  I should have realized the space limitations and given it more thought!  Instead, I prototyped it on the first one and then filmed it on the second one..  Not one to pull punches though, I did call myself out in the video...lol

5 minutes ago, Coop said:

I’m curious as to how you built AND mounted the shelf?

It sits in the leg notches..  This is a picture of 2 legs put together to route the notches at the same time..  One set on each side..  Just be sure to install the dust frame during glue out because you won't get another chance...lol

IMG_1273.thumb.jpeg.0af6c7e5e1a93d88f09023e52cedc3ce.jpeg

Edit..  Should have shown this pic again so it makes sense..

IMG_1275.thumb.jpeg.012ded9e8ec7b357b38d00739c226b5e.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Coop said:

Ok, I thought you already had the case glued up. Finishing the slats are not that bad if you use a rag and I think you mostly do.

lol..  They are glued up but, those went in during the glue up..

Dry fit to measure for the dust frame

IMG_1275.thumb.jpeg.e022f1b190a98c47e5677163ff3b7087.jpeg

And the glue up with the panels installed..

IMG_1277.thumb.jpeg.77446369358407fdbbd2847edb694bb6.jpeg

• Like 1

Just now, Coop said:

Did you order the glides you normally use? Hopefully they are bottom mount so I can learn. Are you holding off building the drawers until you receive them to be on the safe side? 

Yes, same Blum glides just a different length.

I will hold off building the drawers until I have the glides here..  I did mill all the stock to final max thickness.  I can still mill a little more if I need to.

8 minutes ago, Coop said:

What thickness as a optimal goal? DT’s? 

These drawers won't be DTs..  But, if I were doing DTs, I'd shoot for about 1/2".

The Blum glides require between 1/2" and 5/8" to work correctly with them.

• Like 1

Taking the day off today in the shop..  Going to breakfast and some golf with friends..

There's and outside chance that I may start the finishing process on these tomorrow, we'll see.  Other than installing the glides/drawers, there's really not too much to do on them.  Probably a good time to get the ARS on and clean up and defects I find along the way..lol.

Just now, Coop said:

is Your golf game as good as your woodworking game?

There once was a time...lol. 6 handicap in my day, not anymore..  I shot 81 today though so, not a bad day on the course.  Plus, it was 75 and sunny.

16 minutes ago, Coop said:

With a dozen mulligans and a half dozen gimmies, I’d still be high man in your foursome 😀

lol..  It doesn't matter in the group I normally play in..  We had a guy with us today that had never played and showed up in cowboy boots...lol. We made him change his shoes but, we still had fun..  In the end, that's what it's about..  Having some fun.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Coop said:

Since you’re waiting on glides and it’s your thread anyway, I guess we’re not highjacking? Is there a lot of elevation changes in the courses there? 

lol, I don't mind the hijacks..

Depends on the course..  There's one I play that you have to sign a waiver to not sue the course if you're attacked by a bear...lol. That one is up near Glacier National Park..

And, on that note..  I've decided I'm going to start the finishing video even though the construction isn't complete.

Fact is that the nightstands are in a great place to get a coat of ARS on them.  So, I'll dig up my list of suggestions you guys dropped and add them to some of the things I came up with and see how much of this video I can get in before the glides show up.