Title of the document

Nightstands

Kev

I tracked my drawer glides this morning to find that the latches were due to arrive today and the actual glides were still a few days out.  So, I set about my day thinking I was dead in the water on the nightstands to do other stuff..  I saw the UPS truck arrive and just figured they were the latches.  To my astonishment, they were the glides and not the latches...lol

I have some latches on hand so, got the drawers done on the nightstands this afternoon and I'll do the drawer fronts tomorrow.

IMG_1296_HEIC.thumb.jpeg.62cc840bb07270ac9840cd5534292cc6.jpeg

• Like 5

Got an early start this morning and got the drawer fronts installed.  They still need to be sanded and finished but, they're on!

Next up is to drill a big hole in those tops for the power units as well as a hole in the backs for the plug to come out.

Then, just finish and install!

IMG_1297_HEIC.thumb.jpeg.fd7234d72a9bc31472693616e288f575.jpeg

• Like 2

Question for the group..

I'm thinking of doing a wrap up video for the nightstands.  Probably released very close to the final construction video where I show the completed nightstands, talk about things I'd do differently, things that changed from the original concept, etc..  Very short video around 5 minutes or so..

I'd do it in the Second construction video but, that one is already too long and I didn't even show any drawer installation stuff.  I'll reference the other builds in the room for that with specific locations in those videos.

Thoughts?

18 minutes ago, Kev said:

Very short video around 5 minutes or so..

Maybe add a minute or so and do the wrap of the whole room... with the fact that the designs of each piece intertwine. 

• Like 2

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

1 hour ago, Chet said:

Maybe add a minute or so and do the wrap of the whole room... with the fact that the designs of each piece intertwine. 

31 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

I think a short wrap up video would be a good thing.  I also like Chet’s suggestion of including the entire room if these are the final pieces for the room.

Somehow I knew you guys were going to suggest that...lol. The lighting is just so poor for video in that room but, it's also probably the right thing to do..  I'll try and grab some footage in there or, at a minimum, some good pictures and then talk through the room..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Coop said:

Kev, are the two horizontal boards right above the dust frame there tp mount the under mount drawer slides to? And how did you mount the as I don’t see mortises?

Yes, they're fillers glued and pin nailed to the side panel.  

Thanks. I hate to be a copycat but since I will be using the same slides on my armoire, it’s good to know. I thought they mounted to the dust frame. When you get a chance, will you measure the width/ height of that board?

Just now, Coop said:

Thanks. I hate to be a copycat but since I will be using the same slides on my armoire, it’s good to know. I thought they mounted to the dust frame. When you get a chance, will you measure the width/ height of that board?

They're the same size (or a smidge bigger) than the side of the glide..  I think they're around 2 1/4" wide.  In the end, as long as you have enough there to pick up the screw holes, you're good to go.

As for the copycat business, that's why I put this stuff out there bud..  Copy away!

• Like 1

We found out that we have some family coming in early for the wedding this morning.  As they'll be here this afternoon, I needed to get a move on and assemble these a little sooner than I wanted but, they came out good..  They're done..  Just some video work left to do..

IMG_1299.thumb.jpeg.2c3e080eb19a54015314b19f5767f8a6.jpeg

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Coop said:

Those “look charp man”!

I went back to your dresser build to check out the jig for notching the legs. I couldn’t really tell from the pic but it looks like you cut two at a time?

Yes, I did..  That goes for the desk as well as the nightstands..  Ensures that each side is dead on for alignment.  Just a matter of making sure you use the same measurement for the other 2 legs..lol

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Coop said:

Thanks for taking the time to answer. I forgot when I sent this that you have company. 

No worries, they've already retired to their motorhome for the night and I still have work to get done...lol. 

I promise, if I'm available I will answer questions especially on this forum.

• Thanks 1

Well, I've screwed up...lol

I jumped at the chance to get the nightstands moved in and got it done!  The issue is that I forgot to shoot the ending video for the nightstands while they were placed together on my bench like I meant to do...lol. This should be interesting as I'm not moving them back out to the shop!

3 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Wow great work! Just a great design! Nice job! 

Thanks!  I'll get the videos finished up this week and then post the entire project in the private viewing room.  Will end up being about 2.5 hours of total video with all the videos.

• Like 1

Well, the final video is currently pushing to YT.  As it will take several hours, I'll update the private viewing in the morning to include all the videos.  There will be 6 videos in total and close to 3 hours of finished video.

In the meantime, here's the nightstands in the room with the bed!

6.thumb.JPG.a77058e8ee261df37234b291e7654866.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Coop said:

You ready to become a FIL? 

This is the third and last one..  Ready for it to be over....lol

It was good to see all the family but, the lack of preparation and communication in this one is about to drive me nuts!