Title of the document

Nightstands

Kev

Up a little late tonight setting up for the finishing video!

In my opinion, 80% of a good finish comes in the prep work.  10% in proper fitting construction and 10% in the finish itself.  With the finishes we have available today, finish selection has become more of a personal choice than ever before!

So, I'm going to spend quite a bit of time going over the prep side of things.  Fixing small dents, removing squeeze out, sanding end grain differently than face grain, sanding in general (what grits), raising the grain (or not), raking light, etc..

So, I shot the opening video a bit earlier and I'll jump into the meet and potatoes in the morning.  The picture below is my setup for that shot..  The nightstand piece in that picture is the underside of one of tops.  What you can't see in this picture is that I purposely put a dent in it to show how to pull those out...lol. It's on a section that will never be seen.

IMG_1280.thumb.jpeg.79819e36a655251cdebfed30b9f692cd.jpeg

• Like 4

When I get to the finishing part of this video ( a ways out - after glides I think), I think I'll be touching on these topics..  Let me know if I missed something..

• Tongue Oil, BLO, Teak Oil etc..
  • Rubio Monocoat
  • Shellac
  • ARS
  • WB finish
  • Conversion Varnish
  • Lacquer

14 hours ago, Kev said:

There's one I play that you have to sign a waiver to not sue the course if you're attacked by a bear.

I don't play but I understand the number one rule in golf is you always allow bears and gators to play through. 

• Haha 2

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

Took all day but, finally got the sanding done, defects worked, and the ARS on!  I waited until the ARS was pretty dry to grab the pictures as everything looks good when the finish is glistening...lol

IMG_1289.thumb.jpeg.533123fbfa1d7d777220de2679ee20f0.jpeg

IMG_1286.thumb.jpeg.58a226d2a168e09969c1a976194eb311.jpeg

IMG_1288.thumb.jpeg.d96557d24b7a281c743ee7026e6c4b16.jpeg

IMG_1287.thumb.jpeg.fd0d9575af578b9e82d6ed9d000d89e9.jpeg

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Kev said:

I don't know if it's "good" info

We'll be the judge of that, lol.

• Haha 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

And to compound things today, the floating shelves I'm doing for a neighbor need to be done by the morning...  The brackets came in and he as a crew to install them in the morning so, I need to get on the stick!

Gotta finish drilling the holes, apply ARS, and the WB top coat..  Guess I'll really be testing how soon after ARS you can apply WB..lol

53 minutes ago, Kev said:

Guess I'll really be testing how soon after ARS you can apply WB..lol

Would have been a good time for some garnet shellac.  By the time you wiped it on the forth shelf, you could have sanded and sprayed the first.  Just for the future thought, you can keep the flakes in a air tight container like a mason jar, in a cool, dark location and they last a long, long time. 

4 minutes ago, Chet said:

Would have been a good time for some garnet shellac.  By the time you wiped it on the forth shelf, you could have sanded and sprayed the first.  Just for the future thought, you can keep the flakes in a air tight container like a mason jar, in a cool, dark location and they last a long, long time. 

I only had blond on hand...  I don't have any flakes on hand either..  I use it so rarely that I just pick up some Zinzer at the BB store when I do need it.  The only reason I even had the blond on hand was because I picked some up for the finishing video.  I was looking for blond and garnet quarts so that I could create some test boards for myself but, all they had was blond in a rattle can.  Worked for the video but, I didn't get my test boards out of it..

However, I shot the first coat of WB at the one hour mark without issue so, that's encouraging!...lol

In my un-solicited, un-scientific and un-professionally trained opinion, shellac made from flakes goes on nicer and looks better then out of the can.  And as mentioned above flakes store real well and you just need a small can of Denatured Alcohol to make an emergency batch.  The flake made stuff drys faster then the canned stuff.  

This is the cheapest place  have found.  Pretty fast on the ship too.  https://wellermart.com

56 minutes ago, Chet said:

In my un-solicited, un-scientific and un-professionally trained opinion, shellac made from flakes goes on nicer and looks better then out of the can.  And as mentioned above flakes store real well and you just need a small can of Denatured Alcohol to make an emergency batch.  The flake made stuff drys faster then the canned stuff.  

This is the cheapest place  have found.  Pretty fast on the ship too.  https://wellermart.com

Yea, I ordered some.  I want to do some sample boards before starting the next bedroom set.  I'm not sure what species we're going to do in that room yet but, I'd like to stray a little on the finish to break things up..

2 hours ago, Kev said:

Yea, I ordered some.  I want to do some sample boards before starting the next bedroom set.  I'm not sure what species we're going to do in that room yet but, I'd like to stray a little on the finish to break things up..

I am really curious on how it works. I am pretty simple minded when it comes to finishing, pre cat lacquer is my go to. Just a pain to clean the gun and the stink. 

2 minutes ago, Jamie said:

I am really curious on how it works. I am pretty simple minded when it comes to finishing, pre cat lacquer is my go to. Just a pain to clean the gun and the stink. 

Well, I'm getting pretty close to having my video on my finish methods completed and ready for release..  The public version won't come out until late September but, I'll share it privately here with anyone that wants to see it early.

IMO, all the modern finishes out there are pretty good and relatively easy to apply.  They tend to fall into 2 categories.

1. Durable but, a PITA to touch up/refinish
  2. Not durable but, easy to touch up/refinish

You just have to figure out where you want to live.  The finish I tend to lean on (probably too much) is about middle of the road between the 2 options but, has held up well for me over the years.  Full disclosure..  I also haven't had to refinish any of it so, I can't say how easy or difficult that is.

• Like 1

The "finishing" video is done and about 30 minutes long..  Currently pushing to YT, let me know if you want early access.  Same with the design and the lumber selection/milling video.

Now if I could just get some drawer glides, I could actually complete the nightstands...lol

18 minutes ago, Kev said:

The "finishing" video is done and about 30 minutes long..  Currently pushing to YT, let me know if you want early access.  Same with the design and the lumber selection/milling video.

Now if I could just get some drawer glides, I could actually complete the nightstands...lol

Yes! Id love to see them!

I've created a forum private viewing room.  If you've requested the access, please let me know if you can see the forum section.  Your new tag should give you access.

Moderators have full access.