Title of the document

Christmas gifts

Jamie

My mom gave me a call yesterday and asked if I could make her something quick. She brought over a picture of some little Christmas trees she found online. I was gonna spend my day just picking up the shop and doing some things before we get covered in snow.  But how often do you get to spend an hour or so with your mom in the shop?! We drew this little tree out and put a prototype together. Quick little project....then she explained how she wanted 3 made of different heights and different colors. Also she wanted a set for her, my sister, sister in law and a set for my wife. I’m going to try to get a set done for her before Christmas hits. 736930F8-7567-4E5E-8BC5-9CFF435E5256.thumb.jpeg.e9f29e3bfdf515407f67a7f8b8266776.jpeg

Don’t judge on the craftsmanship on this one. Just a prototype but she loved it!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Jamie said:

But how often do you get to spend an hour or so with your mom in the shop?!

This had to be the coolest part of the whole project.

• Like 2

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

On 12/14/2020 at 9:30 PM, Jamie said:

My mom gave me a call yesterday and asked if I could make her something quick. She brought over a picture of some little Christmas trees she found online. I was gonna spend my day just picking up the shop and doing some things before we get covered in snow.  But how often do you get to spend an hour or so with your mom in the shop?! We drew this little tree out and put a prototype together. Quick little project....then she explained how she wanted 3 made of different heights and different colors. Also she wanted a set for her, my sister, sister in law and a set for my wife. I’m going to try to get a set done for her before Christmas hits. 736930F8-7567-4E5E-8BC5-9CFF435E5256.thumb.jpeg.e9f29e3bfdf515407f67a7f8b8266776.jpeg

Don’t judge on the craftsmanship on this one. Just a prototype but she loved it!

Wonderful Christmas project.  Working on it with Mom makes it even more special.

I have a question, if you don't mind.  On the wooden applique (for lack of a better term), is the uppermost frond/branch a separate piece (the part with the light glinting off of it)?

Are you going to sign and date them?  It will answer the questions progeny will have.

?,

RXR

On 12/18/2020 at 5:54 PM, RxR Sawdust Station said:

Wonderful Christmas project.  Working on it with Mom makes it even more special.

I have a question, if you don't mind.  On the wooden applique (for lack of a better term), is the uppermost frond/branch a separate piece (the part with the light glinting off of it)?

Are you going to sign and date them?  It will answer the questions progeny will have.

?,

RXR

They are built out of three separate pieces. The taller piece being one board with the shorter ones being the other two pieces. Used the bandsaw to rough out the shape and made a template to cut the branches. Used a drill bit to cut the upper portion of the branch then the angle back to it on the bandsaw. Very little clean up with a ro sander and glued them together. Used ca glue along with titebond. 

I didn’t sign and date this one as it was just a prototype. Also wasn’t very impressed by the quality of craftsmanship in this.  Few glue spots and some bandsaw mill marks left behind.

23 hours ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

These would make good craft projects for kids. If you made out of pine or other light wood, kids could use paint and decorate them. 

That is an excellent idea!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jamie said:

I didn’t sign and date this one as it was just a prototype.

That makes sense.  But, in the future, if you do sign and date, your offspring's, offspring's, offspring will ask their parents - "Great-grandpa Jamie made that himself, by hand?" 

Maybe it's just me, but I like the thought of that occurring.

?,

RXR

• Like 1