Title of the document

Kitchen Renovation

Chet

1 hour ago, Jamie said:

Do your chips go out in the trash?

Yea, its nice, I have a couple of neighbors that let me add to their trash.  I don't have to use they're cans a lot but with bigger projects its nice.  Having to put them in the trash kind of pisses me off.  We have a green service too were they pick up grass clippings, leaves garden trimmings and the like and they mulch it.  But for some reason my 100% pure wood chips can't go in their pile.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

16 hours ago, Chet said:

Yea, its nice, I have a couple of neighbors that let me add to their trash.  I don't have to use they're cans a lot but with bigger projects its nice.  Having to put them in the trash kind of pisses me off.  We have a green service too were they pick up grass clippings, leaves garden trimmings and the like and they mulch it.  But for some reason my 100% pure wood chips can't go in their pile.

Yeah that doesn’t make much sense. Lucky to have good neighbors!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

For all the problems I have with living in the town we do, the 1 thing I can’t complain about is our trash guys.  They take everything and even stuff that you are supposed to call for special pick up, they would prefer to have in normal trash so Friday is an easy day. 

+1

21 hours ago, Chet said:

Having to put them in the trash kind of pisses me off.  We have a green service too were they pick up grass clippings, leaves garden trimmings and the like and they mulch it.  But for some reason my 100% pure wood chips can't go in their pile.

I guess they have no way of knowing what’s inside a black trash bag or do they provide you with clear bags? 

14 hours ago, Coop said:

+1

I guess they have no way of knowing what’s inside a black trash bag or do they provide you with clear bags? 

We can just pile the trimmings on the street the night before or they provide a wheeled container just like our garbage except it is green and holds about 60 gallons.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

It is starting to look like a kitchen again.  I hung 19 of the cabinet doors yesterday.  Installed the new microwave/exhaust hood over the stove today.  I have to make 5 drawer fronts and two doors with glass, do the baseboard.  I also have to cut and trim out a new opening in the peninsula and make two sliding doors for that.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2020 at 7:12 PM, Chet said:

It is starting to look like a kitchen again.  I hung 19 of the cabinet doors yesterday.  Installed the new microwave/exhaust hood over the stove today.  I have to make 5 drawer fronts and two doors with glass, do the baseboard.  I also have to cut and trim out a new opening in the peninsula and make two sliding doors for that.

pics or it didnt happen ... I think everything is still in pieces on your bench ?

You gonna be glad once this one is done?

• Like 1

On 11/11/2020 at 11:14 AM, Bushwacked said:

pics or it didnt happen

I will post a couple of before and after pictures but I am not taking a lot of pictures along the way, I just sort of have my head down trying to finish before Thanksgiving.  

• Like 2

Well the kitchen was officially finished at 6:30 pm last night.  It took 51 days and mostly with out surprises but there were a couple of things that added to the excitement.  One was some water damage around the sink and dishwasher but I was expecting this as we had some dishwasher problems about three years ago and this required some subfloor replacement.  The other was when the counter tops were installed I had to move the plumbing around under the sink to line up with the new drain locations and the way the new garbage disposal installed.  This was no big deal, I just don't like plumbing.

Just because I am at the age where I just don't want to work on my hands and knees any more I hired a neighbor thats a floor installer to do the floor.  This served two purposes, I didn't want to do it and he hasn't had much work during the pandemic.  The guy did top notch work, even the edges against the wall that were going to be covered by base board were straight as an arrow.

The other thing that we farmed out was the counter tops, just not an amateur type project for the product that we selected.

Everything else we did ourselves.  We went with painted cabinets, I did a review of the product that we used in the Shop Tools and Reviews forum.  I made all new doors and drawer fronts, Shaker Style with Blum hinges and then in the peninsula I opened up the back side to get better use of the space and made and installed sliding doors, Hinged doors wouldn't work because of they're location.

These first four pictures, with me standing in the same location to take them are before and after. 

Before

IMG_0041.thumb.jpg.8ebae4e54bef321fd9d116d8fba7d5b4.jpg

After

IMG_0101.thumb.jpg.66b5ceeb9000f10cdbb42280ecb679e8.jpg

Before

IMG_0042.thumb.jpg.eb418cc551047443af4212111b3c08c3.jpg

After

IMG_0102.thumb.jpg.b67850ad04b9953b4d657adbbdd7fe19.jpg

The counter tops are DuPont Corian, it is an impermeable product so it doesn't stain or hold any kind of bacteria, mold or residue. It is a product that is approved for commercial food services.

One of the cool features is if you select one of their sinks, when it is installed it is part of the counter, there is no seams or lip to gather gunk.  We paid extra for a higher back splash and the paid extra for the coved back splash.  You can't see any of the seams in the counter.  The section with the sink they brought in, in two pieces, I watched them do the work and I still can't see without really analyzing it were the seam is.

The sink and a view of the coved back splash.

IMG_0103.thumb.jpg.46d433f21848c830d2c7c261b559d9c6.jpg

The new opening and doors on the peninsula.

IMG_0096.thumb.jpg.00ccfb11401972d8a117cbcce4089d44.jpg

IMG_0098.thumb.jpg.74a59e6de1e1de0a5192d79e3868e6d0.jpg

And the finished drawer bank.  The first picture in this thread was the day I was installing metal slides to replace the wood I had originally done.

IMG_0104.thumb.jpg.7f090822827a53f45185cb66be594ab9.jpg

• Like 7

amazing work!! Corian is way better than the tile tops before ? 

51 days eh? Thats quite the effort getting all this done. My wife has a redo of the kitchen cabinets on her list too! I will show her this and let her know this was 51 days and no big issues ... great way to level set its not a week project ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

show her this and let her know this was 51 days

51 days but I didn't build new cabinets they are the ones  built last time and still in good shape.  Just new doors this time.

• Like 1

Looks great Chet. The counter tops are really nice. It’s amazing the transformation from the old, and it looks bigger without the older dark cabinets. 

17 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

amazing work!! Corian is way better than the tile tops before ? 

51 days eh? Thats quite the effort getting all this done. My wife has a redo of the kitchen cabinets on her list too! I will show her this and let her know this was 51 days and no big issues ... great way to level set its not a week project ?

Drew, you may want to tell the wife it will take longer, then when you get it done faster you will get more brownie points. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for all the comments.  It's not a project I would go looking for but I am glad we did it and I am glad it is done.

14 hours ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Drew, you may want to tell the wife it will take longer, then when you get it done faster you will get more brownie points. 

When I originally did the cabinets I spent 6 months of days off making the cabinets and then took two weeks of vacation to tear out the old kitchen and put in the new stuff and get the kitchen operating again.  You don't realize how much you use a kitchen sink until it's not there.

4 minutes ago, Chet said:

When I originally did the cabinets I spent 6 months of days off making the cabinets and then took two weeks of vacation to tear out the old kitchen and put in the new stuff and get the kitchen operating again.  You don't realize how much you use a kitchen sink until it's not there.

where did you store the build cabinets? I was thinking this would be my route, but free space is not that great so I would need to store somewhere in the house I guess until I get everything built and could rip out the old.

6 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

I would need to store somewhere in the house I guess until I get everything built

Yep, you guessed it, we sacrificed the living room and stored them in there.  We have a house with a family room and a living room.  We spend most of our time in the family room so the living room took the hit.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Chet said:

I remember when I did the kitchen in WA, we had plywood chunks for counter tops and all the pots and pans were in boxes in the living room..lol. I know we were that way for over a month but, that remodel was a little more involved because I added a new ceiling and had to redo all the wiring.

• 2 weeks later...

The wall behind our dining table is painted the same color as the rest of the kitchen area, but we have been looking at it for a while and decided that it is just too plain even though there will be pictures going back up.  It still would be to much of one thing so I decided to build a wainscot that was similar in style to the shaker cabinet doors and the same color as the cabinets in the hopes that it will tie the two areas together.

IMG_0109.thumb.jpg.e91990bbfd25c72ccec656e8ca6ff448.jpg

Looking at it from the kitchen.

IMG_0110.thumb.jpg.603fff00527b91f24e406c39c7c301f9.jpg

• Like 4