Title of the document

Kitchen Renovation

Chet

So in the process of the kitchen renovation there are some things that need to be severely upgraded.  First on the list was this bank of drawers.  Twenty three years ago when I originally built the cabinets I wanted to build something that would last but the whole project was on a budget that was driven by kids in college and things like that, so there were things that needed to be skipped. One of those was drawer glides.  So at the time I did the wooden drawer slide that ran down the middle of the under side of the drawer.

Now I am adding mechanical slides.  And it turned out to be a bit of a chore.  I had to build out from the inside of the cabinet to get the drawer slides flush with the inside edge of the face frame and the left side was different then the right.  To make things more fun I had to do all the work while reaching through the individual openings of the face frame.  Took about 6.5 hours but this was probably the hardest of all the changes and upgrades taking place.  I am glad it's done.

IMG_0064.thumb.jpg.bb432a2150ef29691487c435fc6c5aba.jpg

• Like 6

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

Don’t envy you a bit. I’’m currently doing something similar but have access from the top and back. Are you making new drawers and if so, do they have false fronts? Gonna be sweet when it’s complete! 

Looking back at the pics, I see the glides extend to the front of the frame so I guess the fronts are false and overlapping if that is the right term. 

Edited by Coop
  • Like 1

Yea Coop, I am making new drawers with false fronts and all new cabinet doors.   I have a peninsula that I am modify also to make the storage space more useful and then one other cabinet that I will add pull out selves for pantry goods.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

Started work on the doors and drawer fronts for the kitchen.  Picked up 50 BdFt of maple cut all the stiles and rails for 23 doors and 5 drawer fronts.  Did real well fitting everything in the lumber I bought, just a small pile of scraps (circled) and some of that is still usable lengths.

IMG_0077.thumb.jpg.aaddaa931b62b4d43699dbfc10243078.jpg

• Like 5

I discovered this morning that I made what is probably my biggest mistake in my woodworking career.   When I did the math to come up with the length of each set of rails for the cabinet doors, I failed to allow length for the tongues for the tongue and groove construction.   I just ordered a big bag of 8 X 40 Dominos.  Really glad I own that Domino machine now.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Chet said:

I discovered this morning that I made what is probably my biggest mistake in my woodworking career.   When I did the math to come up with the length of each set of rails for the cabinet doors, I failed to allow length for the tongues for the tongue and groove construction.   I just ordered a big bag of 8 X 40 Dominos.  Really glad I own that Domino machine now.

Been there and done that!  You could have done them without the Domino but, would have been more time consuming.

I've been using some "off brand" dominos that are significantly cheaper and haven't had any issues.  Just a thought..  I can look up the name if you're interested?

The other ones are already ordered.  It was $28.00 and in the grand scheme of things when you consider what we paid for the floor and counter tops the dominos won't even warrant a line item entry in the budget. ?

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Chet said:

The other ones are already ordered.  It was $28.00 and in the grand scheme of things when you consider what we paid for the floor and counter tops the dominos won't even warrant a line item entry in the budget. ?

For sure..  No worries..  I just keep a bunch of those on hand so, am usually looking for a cheaper alternative where I can.

3 hours ago, Chet said:

If that is your worst mistake you have gotten by easy!! Good save with using the domino!

I guess I tend to go traditional construction techniques most times.  I am using 1/4 maple ply.  I got a deal on some sheets that had damage one one edge, I basically got three sheets for the price of two.

• Chet changed the title to Kitchen Renovation

A bunch of boring hours later all the stiles and rails are the same thickness and width.

IMG_0081.thumb.jpg.c902cd9228e4062c2e8d25ab782b32b0.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Boring???? I think milling material down is the fun part! The plan is made already, milling is where you can see the process coming to life.  Nothing more satisfying that seeing dust and woodchips going up the dust pipe.

Care to apprentice in my shop on big projects? ?

• Haha 1

Yea first thing on the docket this morning is emptying the dust can once again.  Emptied it Tuesday also but this should be the last time on this project.

On 10/29/2020 at 10:42 AM, Kev said:

Care to apprentice in my shop on big projects? ?

Using your jointer would be a pleasure!

On 10/29/2020 at 11:16 AM, Chet said:

Yea first thing on the docket this morning is emptying the dust can once again.  Emptied it Tuesday also but this should be the last time on this project.

Yuck! That is the worst part of a milling run. 

2 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Yuck! That is the worst part of a milling run. 

Yea its not fun but I don't let the bag get more then half full at a time.  That makes it pretty easy to deal with.