Title of the document

My New Take On Outfeed/Assembly Table

Bushwacked

So after building version 1 and using it for a year or so now? I have had enough new thoughts, complaints from it that I built a newer version.

The big things I was needing:

• a slightly bigger top. So this one is going to be 48"x40"x34" (previous was 48x32x34)
  • Drawers, the current one could have them, just never got around to it. This will have 6 drawers holding a lot of my assembly tools needed and my new dovetail things ? 
  • clamping areas, this is what the Paulk style holes are for in the side, but a torsion top as well to hopefully achieve a flat'ish top
  • 1 side will have an area to hang a roll of brown craft paper, the other side will hold smaller hand clamps, like the kreg and the dewalt squeeze clamps and all of that.
  • one of the MAJOR things, I needy more beef, so this will be hardwood, most likely Pine structure as it is cheaper.
  • It will be on wheels as well, just dont know how to do wheels in Fusion 360 ? 
  • The open space will store my air compressor and maybe the moxon vise that will be coming as well. If not, then some other low use hand tools like my wrench set etc. 
  • Trying out a melamine top for slippery outfeed and glue cleanup.

1616445235_Screenshot2020-11-28160707.thumb.png.b3b1d903fdb01ae7a529b27651803b5e.png

Does anyone see any clear issues with something like this? Hoping to get going on this this week maybe.

• Like 1

Questions, thoughts, and opinions..  Take all for what they're worth, in the end, it's your work flow and this has to work for you, not me!  It's also your money!

• What's the big open area for?
  • Thinking of adding any vises?  I mention this because the torsion top is not conducive to adding a vise.  Although, a leg vise would work with this design
  • Holdfasts? Again, the torsion top is not conducive for this.  You would also need some room above the cabinet for them to drop in.
  • I'm not a fan of the Paulk design.  To me, things would get lost deep in the abyss and that's the thing I'd need next..lol
  • I really like the split top!  You'd have to do at least 1/2 solid to pull this off but, it gives you extra clamping in the middle, it gives you a backstop for planing against, and gives you a nice track for a saw blade if you need it.

You've obviously given this one a lot of thought!  Just trying to toss stuff at you that I see.  There's videos and plans for mine that you're welcome to..  Plans are free on my website.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Kev said:

Holdfasts? Again, the torsion top is not conducive for this.

I know a guy that as a torsion top on his out feed and put in a grid pattern of holes and uses this type of clamp instead of hold fasts.  I would prefer holdfasts my self but there are options for your design.

413242.0.jpg.d232d440141c6993e382315c71b78309.jpg

20 minutes ago, Kev said:

I'm not a fan of the Paulk design.  To me, things would get lost deep in the abyss

Yea, I have a couple of these Paulk holes in my outfield and Kev is right stuff gets lost.  I don't really store anything there any more but when using my nail guns it is a nice place to set it between shooting nails and setting up the next parts to get fastened.

• Like 2

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

33 minutes ago, Kev said:

Questions, thoughts, and opinions..  Take all for what they're worth, in the end, it's your work flow and this has to work for you, not me!  It's also your money!

• What's the big open area for?
  • Thinking of adding any vises?  I mention this because the torsion top is not conducive to adding a vise.  Although, a leg vise would work with this design
  • Holdfasts? Again, the torsion top is not conducive for this.  You would also need some room above the cabinet for them to drop in.
  • I'm not a fan of the Paulk design.  To me, things would get lost deep in the abyss and that's the thing I'd need next..lol
  • I really like the split top!  You'd have to do at least 1/2 solid to pull this off but, it gives you extra clamping in the middle, it gives you a backstop for planing against, and gives you a nice track for a saw blade if you need it.

You've obviously given this one a lot of thought!  Just trying to toss stuff at you that I see.  There's videos and plans for mine that you're welcome to..  Plans are free on my website.

1) Big open area is for air compressor and hopefully moxon vise if they both fit. It gets my compressor safely off the floor and not worried about hitting it with wood. I dont have much open space out of the way to store one, so it sits on the cart for now.

2) The only vise type thing I was thinking of for now is the moxon I was going to build. Is a leg vise able to be added later?

3) did not think of any holdfasts as this isnt necessarily a workbench where I would be hand planing or any of that stuff. I guess they could help with clamping projects down if needed though. However, as you stated, this design is not very conducive for them. Not sure what kinda crazy project they would help me hold still though.

4) Hah! I am in the same boat, not a huge fan, but I put those in the for mainly just giving an area for my clamps to get in and grab to. Maybe with the thickness of my frame I could use that instead and then I would not need the paulk holes?

5) If I did the split top ... would I need to do butcher block top or is that not 100% necessary? Possibly just throw some 2x"X" pine up there and be good?

14 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

So this is more assembly and outfeed table?  I would fill the thing with drawers and not the Paulk style cut outs. Make the top out of MDF 2 layers think and then put some laminate on top. For clamping I would do t track or holes like the Festool MFT. The size is fine if it fits in your shop.  

Yes, the vision is outfeed and assembly that can hold a little bigger of projects. I run into the issue of just missing being able to stabilize my project by just a few extra inches quite a bit for some reason ... and then throw my moxon vise on top for when I become a magician with hand cut dovetails ? 

Hmmm .. I the T Track idea if I go the MDF route. Dont have to worry about anything below, like the cabinets getting in the way then.

9 minutes ago, Chet said:

I know a guy that as a torsion top on his out feed and put in a grid pattern of holes and uses this type of clamp instead of hold fasts.  I would prefer holdfasts my self but there are options for your design.

413242.0.jpg.d232d440141c6993e382315c71b78309.jpg

Yea, I have a couple of these Paulk holes in my outfield and Kev is right stuff gets lost.  I don't really store anything there any more but when using my nail guns it is a nice place to set it between shooting nails and setting up the next parts to get fastened.

Love ratchet clamps, they are quickly becoming some of my favorite little go to clamps.

6 minutes ago, Coop said:

You mention needing more beef but I like Kev, I question the torsion top. I agree with Bryan on the mdf top. I know I couldn’t build a torsion top to be flatter than mdf . Otherwise, I like it bud! 

Hmmmm ... valid point haha. So if I just go double MDF top, then I should just raise the legs the extra height of the now missing torsion box and maybe add another drawer and just make a deeper drawer? 

And to be honest, when 2 sheets of mdf were mentioned, I used the same and quite often, that is not enough for my holdfast to grasp. Not sure what the recommended thickness is. My workbench was built in my budding days, shortly after joining this forum and I was sure I knew more than the seasoned guys on here. My bad! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

1) Big open area is for air compressor and hopefully moxon vise if they both fit. It gets my compressor safely off the floor and not worried about hitting it with wood. I dont have much open space out of the way to store one, so it sits on the cart for now.

2) The only vise type thing I was thinking of for now is the moxon I was going to build. Is a leg vise able to be added later?

3) did not think of any holdfasts as this isnt necessarily a workbench where I would be hand planing or any of that stuff. I guess they could help with clamping projects down if needed though. However, as you stated, this design is not very conducive for them. Not sure what kinda crazy project they would help me hold still though.

4) Hah! I am in the same boat, not a huge fan, but I put those in the for mainly just giving an area for my clamps to get in and grab to. Maybe with the thickness of my frame I could use that instead and then I would not need the paulk holes?

5) If I did the split top ... would I need to do butcher block top or is that not 100% necessary? Possibly just throw some 2x"X" pine up there and be good?

1.  Moxon vise is cool as is a home for the compressor!  Would suggest measuring the height of your compressor and get max usage of the space.

2.  Depending on your leg dimension, a leg vise is absolutely doable at a later time.  

3.  Holdfast or the clamps that @Chetmentioned are super handy on a table like this!  When you're using those new chisels chopping DTs, you'll be happy that you can secure the work!

4.  I'd seriously try to find a way to do a solid top.  It's just something you won't regret!  Even if you did poplar and then added a piece of replaceable hardboard to protect it, you'd be so much happier!

5. See the above answer.  You could add hold fasts by lowering your drawers about 3" to 4", you'd have the beef that you're looking for, you'd get the benefit of the split, and it would last you a lifetime!

• Like 1

I have a melamine top on my outfeed table. Absolutely love it! Super easy to clean any glue off. I used a 3/4 sheet screwed to a 3/4 sheet of mdf. Put some solid wood trim around it and left a couple inches of overhang to be able to clamp to it. Did you ever think of mounting your air compressor up high on a wall? I know that is where mine is going to be moving to. Would possibly save you enough room to add to the hand tools collection that way. ? With the melamine top I think you could do away with the craft paper roll.  It is so easy to clean and durable. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Coop said:

And to be honest, when 2 sheets of mdf were mentioned, I used the same and quite often, that is not enough for my holdfast to grasp. Not sure what the recommended thickness is. My workbench was built in my budding days, shortly after joining this forum and I was sure I knew more than the seasoned guys on here. My bad! 

Not sure either ? 

Just quickly googling I found this from some random person, so take it for what its worth...

• I picked up Shwartz's workbench design book yesterday and got through the first few chapters. I was surprised to read that holdfasts don't work as well with a really thick top - as I had assumed the thicker the better. I was pleasantly surprised that he also said they are good down to about a 1.25" thick top. I had been planning on a 2" thick top and so I had written off using a holdfast.

11 hours ago, Kev said:

1.  Moxon vise is cool as is a home for the compressor!  Would suggest measuring the height of your compressor and get max usage of the space.

2.  Depending on your leg dimension, a leg vise is absolutely doable at a later time.  

3.  Holdfast or the clamps that @Chetmentioned are super handy on a table like this!  When you're using those new chisels chopping DTs, you'll be happy that you can secure the work!

4.  I'd seriously try to find a way to do a solid top.  It's just something you won't regret!  Even if you did poplar and then added a piece of replaceable hardboard to protect it, you'd be so much happier!

5. See the above answer.  You could add hold fasts by lowering your drawers about 3" to 4", you'd have the beef that you're looking for, you'd get the benefit of the split, and it would last you a lifetime!

1) Right now the height of the opening is 19". The top of the handle on my air compressor puts it right around 17 1/2" so it should be a snug fit.

2) What type of leg vise would you recommend? One like you have on yours? Or something else/cheaper? I will look into and see if my leg sizing would be compatible just in case.

3) agree, more than likely will go with the ones Chet mentioned, as I can use those elsewhere too if needed. The holdfasts are a one trick pony and I dont think I need those just yet.

4/5) Hmmmm, how thick of a top you think it would need to be? With this being on casters it is starting to get pretty heavy with a solid top on it. I will work on drawing something up .. Maybe 8/4 poplar cut into 1 1/2" width pieces, which would probably make it around 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 by the time milling is done.

10 hours ago, Jamie said:

I have a melamine top on my outfeed table. Absolutely love it! Super easy to clean any glue off. I used a 3/4 sheet screwed to a 3/4 sheet of mdf. Put some solid wood trim around it and left a couple inches of overhang to be able to clamp to it. Did you ever think of mounting your air compressor up high on a wall? I know that is where mine is going to be moving to. Would possibly save you enough room to add to the hand tools collection that way. ? With the melamine top I think you could do away with the craft paper roll.  It is so easy to clean and durable. 

Here is my first take on this layout .. 2 - 3/4 MDF sheets and then 1 Melamine sheet on top with some t track in there.

548408361_Screenshot2020-12-01092305.thumb.png.0a9f428566b09782bbcba26775d9aa4c.png

885856813_Screenshot2020-12-01093458.thumb.png.6951debda9f9ed26dd1b22df7be3b7e2.png

I dont have any high wall space open where the compressor would be able to sit, otherwise that would be a great idea. Glad this top would help me get rid of the paper roller and save a little $$ there. 

The more I think about this the more this comes to mind and it is just something to think about.  If you were building this to be just an assembly table then the torsion box top is a good way to go, it provides a real flat surface.  This is something that a chair builder would find indispensable.  But when you start adding split tops and/or "T" tracks and holes for hold fasts or clamps you start to lose the benefits of the torsion top so the work put into building it because a wasted effort.

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

5 minutes ago, Chet said:

The more I think about this the more this comes to mind and it is just something to think about.  If you were building this to be just an assembly table then the torsion box top is a good way to go, it provides a real flat surface.  This is something that a chair builder would find indispensable.  But when you start adding split tops and/or "T" tracks and holes for hold fasts or clamps you start to lose the benefits of the torsion top so the work put into building it because a wasted effort.

Hah! Yes, this has taken many different variations and looks so far. Mainly a beefy outfeed/assembly table that I can throw a moxon vise onto were the 3 big things. Extra clamping areas to help while assembling was the only reason for the paulk style holes. 

And for those curious on the hardwood top ... Apparently F360 only has 1 end grain option and that is Oak haha. So for now it is an oak top. Definitely not spending the money for an oak top though.

image.thumb.png.e8b64c62c471b0277cf9761072815d33.png

1 hour ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Not to put to many thoughts in your head, but if you don’t think you will do a leg vise, you may want to over hang 2” or so on the edges so you can have some clamping ability 

Good call.

6 hours ago, Bushwacked said:

1) Right now the height of the opening is 19". The top of the handle on my air compressor puts it right around 17 1/2" so it should be a snug fit.

2) What type of leg vise would you recommend? One like you have on yours? Or something else/cheaper? I will look into and see if my leg sizing would be compatible just in case.

3) agree, more than likely will go with the ones Chet mentioned, as I can use those elsewhere too if needed. The holdfasts are a one trick pony and I dont think I need those just yet.

4/5) Hmmmm, how thick of a top you think it would need to be? With this being on casters it is starting to get pretty heavy with a solid top on it. I will work on drawing something up .. Maybe 8/4 poplar cut into 1 1/2" width pieces, which would probably make it around 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 by the time milling is done.

1.  That would be a thin drawer!  A couple thoughts...  a) remove the handle on the compressor or b) build the thin pull out for layout tools which would most likely fit in a pull out that size

2.  Certainly the BC hardware would fit in there but, that stuff is pretty expensive.  I know there's lots of low cost videos out there that accomplish the same task.  They just don't turn as nicely.

3.  I prefer the standard hold fasts and store them in the leg of the bench.  By paying attention to the location of their storage, they also become functional for securing a long board to the face of the bench.  I so this often with longer material that I want to use a hand plane on an edge.  

4.  3.5" to 4" is optimal.  You could get away with only doing the front half solid and doing the back half in a torsion box.  

NOTE:  Don't forget that you have to cut slots for the miter gauge on your table saw..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kev said:

1.  That would be a thin drawer!  A couple thoughts...  a) remove the handle on the compressor or b) build the thin pull out for layout tools which would most likely fit in a pull out that size

2.  Certainly the BC hardware would fit in there but, that stuff is pretty expensive.  I know there's lots of low cost videos out there that accomplish the same task.  They just don't turn as nicely.

3.  I prefer the standard hold fasts and store them in the leg of the bench.  By paying attention to the location of their storage, they also become functional for securing a long board to the face of the bench.  I so this often with longer material that I want to use a hand plane on an edge.  

4.  3.5" to 4" is optimal.  You could get away with only doing the front half solid and doing the back half in a torsion box.  

NOTE:  Don't forget that you have to cut slots for the miter gauge on your table saw..

1) Agreed, that would be way too small for a drawer above it. I will have to see about removing the handle and see if I can get some space ... we shall see.

2) gotcha, I will look around

3) dont see myself handplaning anything ... dont even own a basic block plane. Although it is on the list just for small work like chamfers and stuff, but thats about it.

4) thats big ... I am thinking I am going to go MDF/Melamine first. Test it out and install it to where I can always come back and at a thick top if needed. Especially if I get into more hand tool work, but right now DT's is about all I plan on so for the foreseeable future, thats the plan. If I go that route, I can retro fit the top easy enough to accommodate the new top.

1 hour ago, Kev said:

If you have access to the WW Guild, he's doing a meeting starting now about his new OF table..  Might be some helpful hints there for you

dang ... curious what his new OF thoughts are. I am not a member of the guild. 

Just now, Bushwacked said:

1) Agreed, that would be way too small for a drawer above it. I will have to see about removing the handle and see if I can get some space ... we shall see.

2) gotcha, I will look around

3) dont see myself handplaning anything ... dont even own a basic block plane. Although it is on the list just for small work like chamfers and stuff, but thats about it.

4) thats big ... I am thinking I am going to go MDF/Melamine first. Test it out and install it to where I can always come back and at a thick top if needed. Especially if I get into more hand tool work, but right now DT's is about all I plan on so for the foreseeable future, thats the plan. If I go that route, I can retro fit the top easy enough to accommodate the new top.

dang ... curious what his new OF thoughts are. I am not a member of the guild. 

3.  You didn't own chisels a few weeks ago.  Plan for your future growth so you're not rebuilding everything as you grow.

4.  Actually, you'll have to rebuild the base if you change your mind down the road.  As an OF table, you'll be much too tall.  I did 3 versions before landing on what I have now and wish I'd of done it at least one version ago!

dang...  There's 2 free projects in there that make you a Guild member and open up these monthly meetings to you.  All you have to do is log in and get them.  

24 minutes ago, Kev said:

3.  You didn't own chisels a few weeks ago.  Plan for your future growth so you're not rebuilding everything as you grow.

4.  Actually, you'll have to rebuild the base if you change your mind down the road.  As an OF table, you'll be much too tall.  I did 3 versions before landing on what I have now and wish I'd of done it at least one version ago!

dang...  There's 2 free projects in there that make you a Guild member and open up these monthly meetings to you.  All you have to do is log in and get them.  

3) Haha!! No need to bring facts to this discussion ? 

4) So I thought through that today as well ... If I go this route with a 3-4" top, it would be too heavy for my casters most likely so I would need to take those off (4" casters) and put some on like yours. Then I have the extra room needed for the big top.

Oh did not know that was an option to get in for free. Are these sessions recorded in there so I can go listen?

2 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

3) Haha!! No need to bring facts to this discussion ? 

4) So I thought through that today as well ... If I go this route with a 3-4" top, it would be too heavy for my casters most likely so I would need to take those off (4" casters) and put some on like yours. Then I have the extra room needed for the big top.

Oh did not know that was an option to get in for free. Are these sessions recorded in there so I can go listen?

3.  Well, you know.... ?

4.  My casters are rated at 400 pounds and you can get them in 800 pound.  If the 400 pound ones support my assembly table and Roubo, they should hold your OF table.

Yes, just go to the Guild site and scroll down.  You'll find the free projects in there.  I think one is picture frames and I don't recall what the other is.  Either makes you a Guild member with full access.  

https://thewoodwhispererguild.com/store/projects/

The stool and the picture frames are free.  Just add them to your cart and check out.  From there, you get access to the videos to watch in place or download.

9 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

it is his stepstool is the other one ... 

Are you talking about this section? 

image.thumb.png.afcc7e94975060992d9e0df7b038f2db.png

If so, I get an error about not being full member when I click on the 'Live Today' link.

https://thewoodwhispererguild.com/product/dovetailed-step-stools/

https://thewoodwhispererguild.com/product/picture-frames/

These are both free projects..

• Like 1