Title of the document

Planer

Jamie

9 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

wow! well, glad it didnt completely blow up the machine ... you have any spare blades of are you having to order another set?

I have a spare set, the plate that holds the blade is destroyed. Haven’t tried to take it off yet so not sure what else got it. Not even sure why it happened? 

58 minutes ago, Kev said:

Damn!  And I thought my wife's dishwasher crapping out this morning was bad!  Glad you weren't hurt!  Although, I'm sure you needed to change your shorts ?

It happened so fast that I didn’t have time to be scared. With the blade holder bending and wedging into the table it stopped the machine. 

At least you can find a Black Friday deal on the dishwasher! Home Depot has appliances on sale bud. 

39 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

That sucks. Glad you didn’t get hurt. Guess asking for new underwear for Christmas won’t be strange. 

Lol! I actually went in the house and said dads gonna be asking Santa for a new planer!

Now to figure out which one!

• Like 3

Glad you are physically ok. I had something similar but not nearly as severe. I had an old secondhand Delta and a blade threw about a 1/4” piece. I didn’t know it until the board came out with the same size rise in it. Upon investigating, I found that a splinter of wood had become lodged between the blade and hold down strip. IMO, you can’t go wrong by asking Santa for a 735. 

• Like 2

On 11/26/2020 at 7:58 PM, Coop said:

Glad you are physically ok. I had something similar but not nearly as severe. I had an old secondhand Delta and a blade threw about a 1/4” piece. I didn’t know it until the board came out with the same size rise in it. Upon investigating, I found that a splinter of wood had become lodged between the blade and hold down strip. IMO, you can’t go wrong by asking Santa for a 735. 

Well I have a 735 currently. I feel like it might be a little to light of duty for my shop. Been looking some and think the grizzly g0891 might be my choice. Rikon seems to make the exact same one with grizzly being 1k less. Thoughts?

6 hours ago, Kev said:

Seen that as well! Very tempting. I ordered some parts to put in my current one. Hopefully can get it up and going and sell it off. Might be a crappy thing to do but will be honest with the buyer. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jamie said:

Well I called in yesterday and talked to a nice lady who wouldnt give me the code.  She did mention that I should use a different email address to access the code.  Worked like a charm! Planer is ordered.

Hah! Gotta love the trade secrets over there of 'not giving out the password' ? ... good to hear you got it worked out! You order it then?

3 hours ago, Jamie said:

Well I called in yesterday and talked to a nice lady who wouldnt give me the code.  She did mention that I should use a different email address to access the code.  Worked like a charm! Planer is ordered.

That's awesome!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bushwacked said:

Hah! Gotta love the trade secrets over there of 'not giving out the password' ? ... good to hear you got it worked out! You order it then?

Yeah definitely a trade secret! Have to thank @Kev for mentioning a while back to ask around for the discount codes. Yep it’s ordered as of yesterday. Good thing about it is that it didn’t take much convincing to Courtney to get it. I think at this point she has submitted to tool purchases. I think she is out smarting me somehow and this will come back to bite me?. I haven’t figured it out yet, but hey I have a planer coming! Maybe a few other things got added to the cart as well ?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Yeah definitely a trade secret! Have to thank @Kev for mentioning a while back to ask around for the discount codes. Yep it’s ordered as of yesterday. Good thing about it is that it didn’t take much convincing to Courtney to get it. I think at this point she has submitted to tool purchases. I think she is out smarting me somehow and this will come back to bite me?. I haven’t figured it out yet, but hey I have a planer coming! Maybe a few other things got added to the cart as well ?

She’s making her list so be prepared!  The only way this could really make her mad is if the planer happened to be delivered in a new boat! ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

She’s making her list so be prepared!  The only way this could really make her mad is if the planer happened to be delivered in a new boat! ?

Lol!! I think I learned my lesson with the boat I currently have. Surprisingly I don’t have to sleep in it. 

• Haha 1

D060E7E5-73BA-4743-A5B8-41BA369347A0.thumb.jpeg.b91e2471ce439178804a0d4a3b9954e2.jpeg

Planer showed up! A day earlier than I thought! Wasn’t quite ready for it as my shop is a disaster zone, have been patching up some ice tents and making hot sauce. So as you can imagine it has a pretty bad odor going on. Peppers and melted plastic are not a good combo. 

Did recruit some neighbors to help get it off the pickup.  Had the planer shipped to work, with living on a dead end street it doesn’t work to well to get a truck up here. Did get it cleaned up and put together. Only had to put on the handle and the table extensions. In the manual they mentioned to check the gearbox oil before using, glad I did! It takes a iso32 oil which I believe is non detergent 10w. I actually planed ahead a little and got a couple quarts. Did read the manual before I actually bought the machine and they mentioned changing it at around 20 hours. Was a little tricky getting the oil into the gear box, for once I was really happy I own a boat! Used the lower unit oil pump to get the oil into the gearbox. 

1C4B025A-40C2-4378-8206-59FB43FAA974.thumb.jpeg.87133b98684a16881f7526ad114135e3.jpeg

39FDF99F-8DEA-4672-91E6-99AAD6FECFF6.thumb.jpeg.01c7ee55abd55bf893cadc3ad1532787.jpeg

Fired it up and man is it quiet. Ran a piece of oak and maple through and am really impressed by the cut quality. Maybe it’s the sharp carbide so only time will tell. Will take a little getting used to the depth adjustment as it moves really quick. Thinking I will be getting a digital gauge for it. Not sure what the specs are on the handle, a little over 1/4 turn is 1/16”
297E6033-2081-4A6C-AB15-F6EFE55EA5C1.thumb.jpeg.a0126c5ae17eefec4eb94845f57c18f5.jpeg

I also got a mobile base for it that I have yet to put together. 

Had a good laugh when I opened the handle as it was wrapped in a Chinese newspaper. 568B675B-15E4-40DE-8E01-00AB15714452.thumb.jpeg.993121cf6bddba1028698f2dbfb5c68a.jpeg

• Like 1