Title of the document

Planer

Jamie

That's interesting on the adjustment handle!  Now I'm curious about my PM and what the actual measurement is with it as I've never really paid attention.

On my machine, a "heavy cut" is one full turn.  I'm now wondering if I'm asking too much of my machine....lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kev said:

That's interesting on the adjustment handle!  Now I'm curious about my PM and what the actual measurement is with it as I've never really paid attention.

On my machine, a "heavy cut" is one full turn.  I'm now wondering if I'm asking too much of my machine....lol

Yeah I tried a full turn and it wouldn’t feed it in! That’s what got me looking at it more. The planer has a little depth stop which I believe is 1/8 in right on the center of the housing. Thinking gonna have to judge my cut on that for a bit. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Tmize said:

The turns of the handle sounds right. I have the older version of this planer. An I normally do a 1/4 turn per pass. It will not pull into the machine much more than 5/8 -3/4 of a turn.

Great info!  It is something how smooth the height adjustment is on it. Honestly kinda surprised me. 

@Tmize I’m thinking you should put together a shop tour ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Great info!  It is something how smooth the height adjustment is on it. Honestly kinda surprised me. 

@Tmize I’m thinking you should put together a shop tour ?

Yea mine is still smooth an it’s 20 yrs old.  They good solid machines. I’m about due for another set of blades. I keep looking at the Byrd head replacement for it. I always just pass an get another set straight blades instead tho

I actually thought about it the other day just randomly. I’ll think about it I really don’t have anything spectacular to show just a dark basement with some tools  an water heater ?. I’d hate for y’all to see the massive CNC I print all my parts out with an just lay some hand planes an saws around it for stage presents?

• Haha 3

On 12/7/2020 at 7:48 PM, Jamie said:

they mentioned changing it at around 20 hours.

On one of Marc's video's years ago, this came up and he mentioned that he had never checked much less changed his gear box oil.  I am not recommending this but it sounds like 20 hours is on the light side or what might actually be required.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

3 hours ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

I remember that discussion, 20 hours would be ridiculously short, I doubt I would even consider a machine like that. 2000 for a hobbyist and 500-1000 in a pro shop where the machine is running basically non stop is probably more accurate. 

I wonder if that is not a break-in period.  Change it at 20 then forget it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bob said:

I wonder if that is not a break-in period.  Change it at 20 then forget it.

I had that thought as well, but it still seems low to me. If this was in a pro shop and you milled lumber 4 or 5 hours a day, your telling me that after 1 week on your new planer you need to change the oil in the gear box.  Again doesn’t seem right. 

12 hours ago, Jamie said:

On the oil change the manual says change the oil at 20 hours for the initial break in period.

That makes a little more sense.

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus