Title of the document

But I just built a bench

Woodenskye (Bryan)

So after completing my workbench and using it I decided I needed a moxon vise or something to raise certain work up higher. I can’t justify the hardware for a moxon at this time. So I looked around the lumber rack and scrap bin and came up with the following. The Benchtop Bench is 17 1/2” wide and 12 1/4” deep. The top is 3 1/4” thick. With the I beam supports, the total height of the bench is 7”.  I didn’t glue the I beams because if I need to shorten after using I can. 

I used this afternoon to practice cutting dovetails, I’m really happy with it, the dovetails, not so much. 

AD2A1297-278E-4E45-AF83-6F32BF964609.jpeg

118A0AEE-1B13-4A72-85B5-1FF635A4366A.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

So after completing my workbench and using it I decided I needed a moxon vise or something to raise certain work up higher. I can’t justify the hardware for a moxon at this time. So I looked around the lumber rack and scrap bin and came up with the following. The Benchtop Bench is 17 1/2” wide and 12 1/4” deep. The top is 3 1/4” thick. With the I beam supports, the total height of the bench is 7”.  I didn’t glue the I beams because if I need to shorten after using I can. 

I used this afternoon to practice cutting dovetails, I’m really happy with it, the dovetails, not so much. 

I like it!  Doesn't have to be expensive, it has to be functional!  Nice job!

• Like 2

Its always nice to build something needed with out running to the store or ordering on the internet.

• Like 2

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

I did something like that a couple of years ago. Bending over to do detail work started giving me back pains, added to what I already had.  I later screwed and glued a piece to the front leg, so instead of clamping it to the bench, it slips into the shoulder vise.

DSC01416.JPG

DSC01423.JPG

• Like 6