Title of the document

Latest Craze in Picture Frames!

Kev

I would hand carve a picture frame out of Lignum Vitae with a dull pocket knife before using that stuff.

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

Local lumber yard owner was at my neighbors place today dropping off some things. We were all talking about the wood shortage around here. He mentioned one of his suppliers sent out an email last night around 10pm that they had found 3 semi loads of 7/16 cdx 2nds. Which the 2nds means that the thickness may very some. Their price on it was $36 a sheet. He said he responded to the email at 5am wanting 2 bundles of it and it was already gone. I asked him about a 2x4 stud and he said he has none and if he did they would be around $8 each. 

10 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Local lumber yard owner was at my neighbors place today dropping off some things. We were all talking about the wood shortage around here. He mentioned one of his suppliers sent out an email last night around 10pm that they had found 3 semi loads of 7/16 cdx 2nds. Which the 2nds means that the thickness may very some. Their price on it was $36 a sheet. He said he responded to the email at 5am wanting 2 bundles of it and it was already gone. I asked him about a 2x4 stud and he said he has none and if he did they would be around $8 each. 

Wow!  I guess I need to make a trip to my local Lowes tomorrow and check construction lumber prices!

2 hours ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Everything has gone up.  I watch a guy on YT that builds garages, and he mentioned in a video of a garage he just finished that he priced out the same size and the difference was like $9,000 more.

Yes same thing here. Lumber yard owner was saying that most of the lumber in our area comes from northern Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan with some also coming from Canada. With the boarder being shut has slowed some of the imports.  The states mentioned also shut everything down with Covid so the mills are way behind. 

Even local hardwood prices here have really gone up. I recently priced some 5/4 quartersawn white oak for a table that I got asked to build. Was that an eye opening price of $9 a bf. Usually would get it for around $5-6. Hopefully prices will come back down soon. 

It’s always been high around here but is getting worse. I bought a bunch of popular an soft maple at the start of summer. That will get me thru the next few projects. Then I’ve got a bunch of laundry cabinets to build. Hopefully I can wait out the higher prices before starting our walnut bedroom suite next spring. 4/4 #2 common walnut is going for $12 bdft last I checked early summer?