Title of the document

Spice Rack

Kev

Well, it didn't take long for my wife got me on a project of importance to her...lol

Spice rack..  Not your ordinary version!

We have a fairly small kitchen with a very deep cabinet above the refrigerator and this is where my wife keeps all the spices.  At some point she bought a cheap plastic rack to help organize things but, that didn't work out because she couldn't reach half of the items.  Plus, there was a bunch of room at the back of the cabinet that wasn't even being used.  

So....  I did a little design work in Sketchup and came up with this idea.

998803535_SpiceRack2.thumb.jpg.26162d2ce36b52fd2e5eeaf32c96e2d9.jpg

Essentially, just a box that will slide into the cabinet opening and have 6 vertical pull outs.  Each set of 3 will face opposite directions when open so that the cupboard doors don't interfere with access to the spice rack.  The space in the middle will be left open for cutting board storage or baking pans, or whatever she comes up with.

I've got a couple of issues that I'm not quite sure will be a problem but, I know the potential is there...lol

1.  Pulls - In the drawing, I just have holes.  I don't think this will work for the simple reason that if the spice racks are full, it will be difficult to get your finger in there to pull it open.  I think my solution will probably be recessed handle of some sort..  I'm researching some options now and will let the boss decide what she wants.

2.  Door hinges - The door hinges are Blum soft close that mount to the face frame.  Because this cabinet fits inside the big cabinet I don't think there will be any issues.  But, I'll know for sure when I get it built..lol

3.  Finish - Pains me to say but, this piece will be painted.  The kitchen cabinets are white so, all the 3/4" BB ply on this one will be painted with white milk paint.  She may allow me to do something different with the drawer fronts..  I brought up some ideas around adding a "menu board" to each one so that she would know at a glance what is in each one.  We're still working on this detail...lol. Probably nothing too fancy though as this entire piece will be hidden behind two cabinet doors.

10 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

I like the chalk board idea to know what is each compartment.  Is there a way to do a homemade undermount slide so you could pull out each compartment as a separate and get what you need?  This could eliminate hinge issues or interference with the main cabinet.

I'll be putting in partitions and using side glides.  The hinge issue I don't think will be a major issue as this box had to fit through the frame and the box material is 3/4" BB ply.  So, it will be close.  Worst case is a small notch in the case to allow for the hinge.

As for the fronts, there's a number of ways to go.  I could paint with chalk board paint, I could install white boards, I could install thin stainless and use magnetic labels, etc..  In the end it will be whatever my wife wants.

I did order some recessed pulls today so, looking forward to seeing them in person!  Also, the glides showed up today.

5 hours ago, Kev said:

Pulls - In the drawing, I just have holes.

You could bury a rare earth magnet on the inside and make a turned handle with the matching magnet in the end to "pull" open the pull out.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

47 minutes ago, Chet said:

You could bury a rare earth magnet on the inside and make a turned handle with the matching magnet in the end to "pull" open the pull out.

That's an interesting idea!  

I've ordered some recessed pulls for now but, I'll keep that idea in mind!

You could also have a half moon cut out on the bottom piece of your case right under each pull out then you could put a small recess in the bottom-front area of each pull out to grab with the tip of your finger.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

4 minutes ago, Chet said:

You could also have a half moon cut out on the bottom piece of your case right under each pull out then you could put a small recess in the bottom-front area of each pull out to grab with the tip of your finger.

Because there's a frame on the cabinet, there's a lip all the way around.  So, I'd be concerned with that being a finger pincher..  Also, with it being up high above the refrigerator, I'm not sure my wife is tall enough to really get hold of something like that.  I'll mount the recessed pulls low but, only after seeing where her comfort zone is..

29 minutes ago, Coop said:

Located above the fridge, does she need a ladder to access it? 

In the current situation, she needs the ladder (step stool) for those items she doesn't use often as they're stored higher and further back.

In the new situation, she should be able to reach everything because they pull out.

2 hours ago, Coop said:

Isn’t there item that will pull out and down, unless she is like my wife where salt and pepper are the main spices, and they live on the kitchen counter. 

There may be but, between cabinet doors and a refrigerator I'm not sure there's a "ready made" option.

My wife have a cabinet full of cooking spices and "stuff"..

a Kev project that is painted? you monster!! Where is the walnut live edge spice rack, sliding DT rails for the pullouts and just generally overbuilt in amazing fashion?

Its like we dont even know you anymore. ?

Either way, excited to watch the build though! Fun little project! 

Edited by Bushwacked
  • Like 1

I've been asked to wait on this project until after tomorrow..  We're having dinner guests and my wife doesn't want the kitchen in a shambles..

I have all the box material cut and am ready to make the rabbets and dadoes..  I might do that today but, that would leave me with nearly nothing to do tomorrow ?

I need to make sure the box is a good fit before assembly..  If I make it too big (even just a little) this project would go South in a hurry!

• 2 weeks later...

That looks great Kev! 

Question? I don’t remember this section but apparently I have been here before.  Maybe directed to it as I’ve never seen seen “Kev’s Place “ as it’s lite and hard to see. Why is that? Open to members only? 

Edited by Coop

3 minutes ago, Coop said:

That looks great Kev! 

Question? I don’t remember this section but apparently I have been here before.  Maybe directed to it as I’ve never seen seen “Kev’s Place “ as it’s lite and hard to see. Why is that? Open to members only? 

It is open to members only because I often times give you guys first viewing of new releases..

If I'm reading your question correctly...  There's 3 forum blocks in this section for me to show what's going on or talk about what's coming up..  It's only open to registered members but, you as a registered member should be able to see it all the time unless you're not logged in.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Coop said:

No, all is good. It just shows up so lightly on my iPad that I didn’t see it. I know to look for it now. On others computers, iPads or laptops, do you see individual topics under this topic as I don’t until I click on it. I appreciate the exclusivity. 

Shows up as normal forum sections for me..