Title of the document

Fuji Sprayer Additions

Chet

I bought a conversion kit for my Fuji spray gun.  The gun I have is 1 quart pressure feed and I got the 400 cc gravity feed conversion cup kit for it.  I also picked up the 6 ft. whip hose.  It only takes a couple of minutes to change the cups back and forth.

I tried it out on a small prototype box that I had built.  I think it is going to be real nice especially on smaller stuff but it seems like you can turn the gun in almost any orientation and not loss and material flow.  I know with my old cup the minute you got below half full if you turned the gun sideways it would start to sputter some.

Also, I don't know why I waited so long to spend $36 to get the whip hose, what a joy it is to spray now without fighting the heavy stock hose.

Cup kit and whip hose

IMG_1997.thumb.jpg.661f409715e424e0240a874f44ea7ba9.jpg

This is my existing gun.

IMG_1999.thumb.jpg.f4d16bf99bcd76b89bca003996716b84.jpg

And this is it with the new cup.

IMG_2001.thumb.jpg.b0fd6976cc391772a2af9e99eeefebdc.jpg

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

Cool!  I have both guns but, prefer the cup over the gravity and haven't had the sputtering issue you mention..  I have the Q4..

The biggest issue I have with it is that the stand is pretty much "required" to fill it and, of course, I could have one for an additional cost..

Maybe another video in there for people that don't want to buy the stand ?

11 minutes ago, Coop said:

The whip hose attaches to the larger hose or in lieu of? 

Attaches.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

I had thought about making the stand but for $15 I just decided to by it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I am glad I spent your money well.

For water borne I just empty the cup, rinse it a little fill, it about have with soapy water spray it out, fill it with clean water spray that out, take all the pieces apart lay them out to dry on a towel then reassemble it for next time.  Easy peasy.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Coop said:

And for shellac? Be honest! ?

A little denatured alcohol, soapy water, water.   I have heard folks say that it is best to finish you clean up by spray the solvent for the next thing you are going to spray through the gun last.  I think i first read this in Jeff Jewett's book

So if you knew that the next time you used the gun, the first thing you were going to do was spray shellac, then when cleaning it you would spray a little DNA through the gun last.  I think this thinking is more for a gun that is close to constant use I don't think it matters when the gun is stored for a period of time.

I would add that the DNA that I spray through after shellac, I spray into a glass jar and save it for next time.  I have used it for cleaning up to four times.  I usually us it until it starts to darkening from "clear" then I discard it.

• Like 1

DNA is what I used as I figured that if I use it to mix the crystals then it would be the stuff for cleaning. I don’t know if it’s going overboard but I also disassemble the tip and needle and clean them separately. I was wondering what the proper way to dispose of it is? I took an old frypan of my wife’s and poured it in there and it eventually evaporated. 

We have a "legal" disposal depot not to far from us, about 3 miles.  You can take a lot of different things there.  Partial paint cans, solvents old propane bottles.  I have an old empty DNA can and I pour the old stuff in there and when its full I run it to the depot.

As seen in the first pic, what is your secret to the immaculate condition of your ts top, besides the obvious of don’t abuse it in the first place. As I have no room for an assembly table, sometimes, instead of getting the saw horses and ply out, I use mine for glue ups. Even though I use white butchers paper, the glue goes thru and leaves permanent spots immediately. Hopefully I’m not the only one looking forward to your answer. 

Well first off I don't have to use it for an assembly table.?    I clean it probably twice a year using a Scotch Brite pad with mineral spirts, wipe it down and then put a coat of Johnson's paste wax.  I wax it pretty often.  If friends or family are in the shop I am not shy about asking them not to lean on or put anything on any cast iron surfaces.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Chet said:

Well first off I don't have to use it for an assembly table.?    I clean it probably twice a year using a Scotch Brite pad with mineral spirts, wipe it down and then put a coat of Johnson's paste wax.  I wax it pretty often.  If friends or family are in the shop I am not shy about asking them not to lean on or put anything on any cast iron surfaces.

My neighbor brought his new girlfriend to see my shop yesterday..  I thought if funny when he was the one to tell her not to set her drink on anything that wasn't wood in my shop...lol. I must have said something to him at some point in a stern enough way that the message stuck with him...lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Kev said:

My neighbor brought his new girlfriend to see my shop yesterday..  I thought if funny when he was the one to tell her not to set her drink on anything that wasn't wood in my shop...lol. I must have said something to him at some point in a stern enough way that the message stuck with him...lol

Whatever you said worked ?

• Like 1

On 8/31/2020 at 9:17 AM, Kev said:

That’s the same rule in my shop! It’s funny I’ve only had to say it to one neighbor and now all the guys know. Same thing....musta said it firm enough that the point was made. ?

On 8/31/2020 at 9:17 AM, Kev said:

Number one rule, regardless of what she looks like or what she is wearing! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 months later...

@Chet, way back in this post, 2nd pic, what is the purpose of the clear plastic tube going down to the top of the pot. Can I assume that it pressurizes the pot and the little inline white plastic thing is a check valve? I always thought that a spray gun operated on a Venturi system where the air going across creates a vacuum, pulling the paint up thru the pickup tube? But after disconnecting the gun from the air hose, there is always a little pressure released when disconnecting the pot from the gun. 

I was debating on getting a 2nd gun .. I have the gravity feed one with mine, and was thinking of getting the bottom feed, whatever that is called. Mainly my thought process was I could really see if one works better than the other, then if they seem to be working about the same, use 1 for oil based things, then the other would be water based.

Not sure if that is the logic I should have using these, but it is what I was thinking of at least haha.

Now seeing this whip hose, I really may take a look at picking one of those up too. I have noticed in some cases my normal hose gets a little stiff for what I am trying to do or get to.

Edited by Bushwacked

I still need to get the whip hose, I haven't done that yet.  I do have 2 guns.  I have the gravity feed and the bottom feed.  I'll be honest, I prefer the bottom feed.  It holds more material, stands up on it's own, and IMO is just easier to use.

If you haven't looked into a second gun, get ready for some sticker shock!  They damn sure don't give those away!

11 hours ago, Kev said:

If you haven't looked into a second gun, get ready for some sticker shock!  

That is why I went with the conversion kit - so mine is one gun with two different cups.  It only takes 2-3 minutes to change.  Yes the gravity feed holds less but that is why I got it, I wanted it for smaller projects.  It is easier to get around and inside of smaller things.

The wipe hose is a little pricey but well worth it in the way that it isn't fighting you the way the heavier hose does.

• Like 2

On 11/21/2020 at 4:27 PM, Coop said:

Can I assume that it pressurizes the pot

Yes.

On 11/21/2020 at 4:27 PM, Coop said:

the little inline white plastic thing is a check valve

Yes

And after using the gun you have to relieve the pressure with the red and black valve on the lid or you may get sprayed with product when you unscrew the lid.

• Like 1